Patient Comments: Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) - Experience

Please describe your experience with obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD).

Comment from: rubyred24, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

When I was younger I had rituals and things I had to do. Everything has to be even (volume on a radio or TV, temperature, letters in a sentence) I had to touch everything I ate to my lips first. My teachers would call my parents often for disrupting classes. When I was older I noticed things were better when I was drinking or on drugs. I spent 10 years in addiction and alcoholism. I have been sober/clean for 16 months and it is back and worse than ever. I have to touch everything with my pointer finger last (I have some fear that if my middle finger is the last things that touches something that's bad so I have to touch it again with my pointer finger). I check locks, alarms, ovens and timers over and over. Nighttime and in bed is the worst. I'll be exhausted but get out of bed 20 times or more to check things or try to go to the bathroom when I've already been 2 minutes earlier. If my right leg itches I have to scratch my left too and then my right again because it itched first. I have Bonne Bell Lip Smackers chap stick in every room in my house, car and, office. I have to put it on every 30 minutes. They stopped selling that type of chap stick so I have to order in bulk online. I replay past situations or have fear of future ones nonstop until I end up in a panic attack or tears. I love being sober and clean but I can't sleep unless I'm drugged and it feels hopeless.

Comment from: pamela, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 20

I have suffered from what I consider a mild case of OCD since young childhood. I had Tourette Syndrome really bad with vocal tics and neck and shoulder movement. My mom was very upset with these things because it embarrassed her. It was so frustrating because I could not explain how I had to do these things or I would explode like a bomb. When I became an adult I found out that she was suffering from her own OCD such as she had always counted steps, tiles, bricks, etc. She apologized for losing her patience when I was a child, I grew out of the vocal tics but still do the shoulder and neck tic when stressed. I suffer from anxiety which my mom also suffered. Depression runs rampant on mom's side of family. I now know how my mom felt about my OCD since my younger son age 16yr has suffered since he was toddler. I was fortunate that I had my experience and knew how to get help for him. He has been off medications for 5 years now and recently going through adolescence his symptoms have returned so we are starting the drugs and therapy over again. His depression is great and he cannot shut his brain off. Fortunately, he is a very smart kid who expresses himself very well and can tell me what is going on in his brain. I thank God I have better resources and options than my poor mom had back then. I am 48 years old. God bless everyone who suffers from these often debilitating issues. Pam

Comment from: morethanIcanhandle, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

I knew something wasn't right for a long time. I was a sickly child starting at age 2. I experienced horrible headaches, and eating disorders. I did not want to eat; I had no appetite and gained energy from not eating. I see now I had early signs of chronic depression (the headaches) and OCD not eating. I suffered from asthma and could have an attack if overly stressed. I am now 50 and have been taking meds for 20 years. I "outgrew" my asthma at 17. It was just gone. I suffered every day from some sort of panic or depression since I was 6. I managed to work my way up to several impressive executive jobs. I changed jobs every five years. For the last five years, I have had extreme difficulty keeping a job. I take Prozac and Ambien to sleep and recommend anyone giving this a try for some major relief. I am slipping back into a difficult depressive state. I have a husband and wish I could work but cannot seem to manage to make that happen. He cannot keep supporting both of us; the job market has taken a turn on him as well. I just don't know what to do anymore. I have no medical insurance but manage to see a professional every six months. The doctor is wonderful, very modern, but I am afraid to confide to him how bad I am for fear of not getting meds.

Comment from: pdallas, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

With obsessive compulsive disorder I want to eat all the time and I always have to finish everything in my plate, I cannot stop eating during the day and night, so I feel guilty and I make myself throw up.

Comment from: DB, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I have had OCD since I was young but just recently got diagnosed at the age 21. The biggest issues are picking and counting. I pick at my face to the point that I won't leave the house it looks so bad. I regret it always but for some reason can't stop myself from doing it. I pick my fingers and toes til they bleed and they are always so sore. Also, I count everything and I need it to be an even number in the end, if it isn't I will find something to match the shape of what I was counting to make it an even number. I count lights, poles, lines in the road. When writing I will write then erase until there is a hole in the paper because I want it to be just right. I want the volume on an even number always, also the heat in the house. I realize this seems silly to some but it is horrible for me. People are always saying just stop but I can't, I finally went to the doctor about it because it was making my life miserable and I know it isn't normal, they gave me Prozac so hopefully it will help.

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)?
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you experience with your obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)?
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) - Risks Question: Do you have a relative with OCD? If so, do you believe there's a genetic risk for developing the condition?