Patient Comments: Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) - Experience

Please describe your experience with obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD).

Comment from: An OCD from Israel, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 29

At the age of 22 a bad event with my older brother (a year older) jumped to my mind after four years that I have completely forgotten it. It took over my thoughts as if it happened just at the moment, he was abroad and I felt a very strong compulsive desire to hit him almost every minute and I kicked chairs and tables instead. It took me a year to realize that this is not a state of mind and that something is going on. After being treated with Citalopram I have recovered. I have no idea what caused it's eruption. Might be the three years of military service that I finished three months prior to the eruption of the OCD and he tension I had been through.

Comment from: princess, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 29

I developed OCD at the age of 33. It started with my body just over heating to a point it made my cloths smell funny, when I went to the doctor he couldn't smell anything. I stop working because I couldn't stand going to work smelling like this, for the past six months I have been like this taking meds to help me sleep and to calm me, but nothing is working as of yet.

Comment from: Angerobsession, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I have been suffering from OCD for years. I have to do a series of things before I go to bed checking doors windows multiple times. It consumes me. It's not just that, but my impulsiveness scares me. Every since I was a child I always felt the need to speak up. I snap out at any thing that I might feel is challenging me. I have gone as far as attacking other people on the road. I hate society. I don't want to feel like this, but yet I do. If I ignore something is play over and over like a bad record. I hate it. I don't know what to do. I'm afraid I might just hurt someone or myself. Death sounds good at most times. Medicine has not worked I was on Respiderdal. It made me sleepy so I stopped taking it for the fact that I couldn't do my rituals and I woke up in a total rage and panic.

Comment from: Bam, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I think I noticed I had OCD when I was in my early teens. Counting everything and not using certain numbers. When I became an adult I was not only counting but starting having a fear when driving that I hit a pedestrian either near the street or on the sidewalk and I would go around the block to make sure. My brother-in-law who also had OCD is the only other person that has this same experience when driving. I am wondering if anyone else with OCD has this.

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)?
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you experience with your obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)?
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) - Risks Question: Do you have a relative with OCD? If so, do you believe there's a genetic risk for developing the condition?