Patient Comments: Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) - Experience

Please describe your experience with obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD).

Comment from: 7-12 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I started to develop OCD when I was about 8. I don't remember why, but I started to throw up every night after dinner -- when I was in bed. This continued on and off for about two and a half years. Then I started getting nervous about throwing up to the point where I threw up in other places: during dinner, at the movies. It began to take over my whole life, and everything I did was based on whether or not it would make me sick. This went on until the beginning of this year, when I had a really bad phase and could hardly eat for two days. Finally, I went to the school clinic to ask to go home. I was really distressed, and she realized I was having a sort of panic attack. I was made to see the school chaplain, who got me to go and see a doctor. He put me on medication for OCD, and I'm now 14 and slowly learning how to control myself. I can now sit down at the dinner table and eat without fear, something I wasn't really able to do for three or so years.

Comment from: dontmindme, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

My name is Michelle and i was diagnosed with severe obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) 20 yrs ago. I'm 45 now and living drug free and for the most part a normal life, as I understand I will never again live the way I was before OCD took over my life. My obsession is sterile cleaning to rid off any viruses my mind wants me to believe exists on every surface and sure death if I don't avoid it. Well that was long ago for me and I've come along way. I did go through behavioral treatment and drug therapy at the University of Michigan for two years off and on. I am proud to say that after being told I would never be without drugs, I have been off the prescribed drugs for my OCD for seven years. I know I'll always have to rationalize with my fears on a everyday basis for the rest of my life but I have learned to live with OCD and function well with it. I want to help. I wish I could be there to stand next to someone who can't open the contaminated doorknob and help take them through the day. I know how they feel, I have the same brain thought process as them and more then any doctor could imagine. I feel I would be able to relate and they would look at me with hope that they can live like everyone else again.

Comment from: jen73, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 15

I probably acquired OCD in my early 20's. It began with always checking to make sure doors are locked. In my 30's, it has progressed to checking alarm clocks, doors, making sure shoes are lined up perfectly, organizing everything in my fridge and cabinets, brushing my teeth several times a day as well as flossing, constant cleaning, and thoughts of death and my house catching on fire.

Comment from: camo_girl1490, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I often find myself cleaning rooms or objects several times within a matter of minutes. It feels as if I have the urge to do tasks that have already been done. I have missed many extra-curricular activities due to OCD. This disorder has caused tension among my family and me for several years. I think that when I do these things it embarrasses them and that makes me feel terrible because I'm putting them through such a tough situation. I have currently started going to therapy and I have started taking Celexa, because I was diagnosed with a severe case of OCD. The doctors there also found that I had symptoms of depression caused by OCD. I am thankful for the amount of emphasis placed upon patients with OCD, because this is a very SERIOUS condition!!

Comment from: none yet, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 28

I pull out all my hair and cannot stop. My OCD started when I was a child. I had to wash all my toys 2 or 3 times a day. I would have to count different things like flipping the light switch at least 50 times or more. Everything had to be in order and clean. I then became anorexic because I felt I had to be perfect. I am now 51 and I still struggle with all of these, especially pulling my hair out. I have to wear a wig all the time. I want to stop this.

Comment from: serious, 65-74 Female Published: December 09

I have had undiagnosed OCD for most of my life. I have a need to keep my clothes and self away from possible germ contamination. It started with being raped. Only my husband, sisters, and a woman who recognized my activity, know. I do a lot of washing of hands, clothes, and linen. It gets better and worse with circumstances. My husband loves me and usually can tolerate me well.

Comment from: georgie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I was pulling my hair out and had a nervous tic- always coughing or clearing my throat. I was put on the smallest dosage of Haldol and found great results the first week. I am no longer pulling at my hair or making noises with my mouth. I can't believe I've been coughing for many years and my 1st psychiatrist could not help me with it. After I told the nurse about my problem he prescribed Haldol and I think it is a miracle. I am so relieved.

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)?
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you experience with your obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)?
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) - Risks Question: Do you have a relative with OCD? If so, do you believe there's a genetic risk for developing the condition?