Patient Comments: Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) - Experience

Please describe your experience with obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD).

Comment from: jen73, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 15

I probably acquired OCD in my early 20's. It began with always checking to make sure doors are locked. In my 30's, it has progressed to checking alarm clocks, doors, making sure shoes are lined up perfectly, organizing everything in my fridge and cabinets, brushing my teeth several times a day as well as flossing, constant cleaning, and thoughts of death and my house catching on fire.

Comment from: camo_girl1490, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I often find myself cleaning rooms or objects several times within a matter of minutes. It feels as if I have the urge to do tasks that have already been done. I have missed many extra-curricular activities due to OCD. This disorder has caused tension among my family and me for several years. I think that when I do these things it embarrasses them and that makes me feel terrible because I'm putting them through such a tough situation. I have currently started going to therapy and I have started taking Celexa, because I was diagnosed with a severe case of OCD. The doctors there also found that I had symptoms of depression caused by OCD. I am thankful for the amount of emphasis placed upon patients with OCD, because this is a very SERIOUS condition!!

Comment from: none yet, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 28

I pull out all my hair and cannot stop. My OCD started when I was a child. I had to wash all my toys 2 or 3 times a day. I would have to count different things like flipping the light switch at least 50 times or more. Everything had to be in order and clean. I then became anorexic because I felt I had to be perfect. I am now 51 and I still struggle with all of these, especially pulling my hair out. I have to wear a wig all the time. I want to stop this.

Comment from: serious, 65-74 Female Published: December 09

I have had undiagnosed OCD for most of my life. I have a need to keep my clothes and self away from possible germ contamination. It started with being raped. Only my husband, sisters, and a woman who recognized my activity, know. I do a lot of washing of hands, clothes, and linen. It gets better and worse with circumstances. My husband loves me and usually can tolerate me well.

Comment from: georgie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I was pulling my hair out and had a nervous tic- always coughing or clearing my throat. I was put on the smallest dosage of Haldol and found great results the first week. I am no longer pulling at my hair or making noises with my mouth. I can't believe I've been coughing for many years and my 1st psychiatrist could not help me with it. After I told the nurse about my problem he prescribed Haldol and I think it is a miracle. I am so relieved.

Comment from: An OCD from Israel, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 29

At the age of 22 a bad event with my older brother (a year older) jumped to my mind after four years that I have completely forgotten it. It took over my thoughts as if it happened just at the moment, he was abroad and I felt a very strong compulsive desire to hit him almost every minute and I kicked chairs and tables instead. It took me a year to realize that this is not a state of mind and that something is going on. After being treated with Citalopram I have recovered. I have no idea what caused it's eruption. Might be the three years of military service that I finished three months prior to the eruption of the OCD and he tension I had been through.

Comment from: princess, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 29

I developed OCD at the age of 33. It started with my body just over heating to a point it made my cloths smell funny, when I went to the doctor he couldn't smell anything. I stop working because I couldn't stand going to work smelling like this, for the past six months I have been like this taking meds to help me sleep and to calm me, but nothing is working as of yet.

Comment from: Angerobsession, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I have been suffering from OCD for years. I have to do a series of things before I go to bed checking doors windows multiple times. It consumes me. It's not just that, but my impulsiveness scares me. Every since I was a child I always felt the need to speak up. I snap out at any thing that I might feel is challenging me. I have gone as far as attacking other people on the road. I hate society. I don't want to feel like this, but yet I do. If I ignore something is play over and over like a bad record. I hate it. I don't know what to do. I'm afraid I might just hurt someone or myself. Death sounds good at most times. Medicine has not worked I was on Respiderdal. It made me sleepy so I stopped taking it for the fact that I couldn't do my rituals and I woke up in a total rage and panic.

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)?
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you experience with your obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)?
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) - Risks Question: Do you have a relative with OCD? If so, do you believe there's a genetic risk for developing the condition?