Patient Comments: Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) - Experience

Please describe your experience with obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD).

Comment from: pdallas, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

With obsessive compulsive disorder I want to eat all the time and I always have to finish everything in my plate, I cannot stop eating during the day and night, so I feel guilty and I make myself throw up.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

My symptoms seem to be OCD related. Checking door is locked, have I got my debit card? am I running out of cleaning items or food. Cognitive behavioral therapy was useful.

Comment from: DB, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I have had OCD since I was young but just recently got diagnosed at the age 21. The biggest issues are picking and counting. I pick at my face to the point that I won't leave the house it looks so bad. I regret it always but for some reason can't stop myself from doing it. I pick my fingers and toes til they bleed and they are always so sore. Also, I count everything and I need it to be an even number in the end, if it isn't I will find something to match the shape of what I was counting to make it an even number. I count lights, poles, lines in the road. When writing I will write then erase until there is a hole in the paper because I want it to be just right. I want the volume on an even number always, also the heat in the house. I realize this seems silly to some but it is horrible for me. People are always saying just stop but I can't, I finally went to the doctor about it because it was making my life miserable and I know it isn't normal, they gave me Prozac so hopefully it will help.

Comment from: nesss, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: February 18

I started at 8 by counting random things on my school bus on the way to elementary school out of boredom then I just started counting numbers and numbers and had to do things repeatedly out of fear. I do not know why and ironically I suck at math. At that time I did not know what I was getting myself into I turned into a neat freak my parents never had to tell me to clean my room it always was. A few years go by I am in middle school and I would tell people how I feel and think and they would look at me crazy so I was embarrassed and never told no one. This is when I worry about things like the future money random things and would stress and this is when I started to bite my lips. As a way to cope with it down to the point that they bleed and my parents would make me stop. Fast-forward to high school one day I am watching mtv true life and they have a episode of I have ocd and I started thinking when iI was done watching it. This is crazy I don't have it. Then one day in school in class we start reading a book called the curious incident of sum dog I forgot the title but main thing I found out about asbergers like rain man the movie. Start doing research for a year ask my school psychologist and found out I had it. Fast-forward to today but I don't tell anybody I am embarrassed and afraid people won't understand I tell my friends but they tell me I have just normal worries and they check things twice too but I don't think that if I go on a trip to Wisconsin that is normal that I have to go back to make sure I locked my house door at least 3 times and make sure I disconnect everything and now I am trying to stop biting my lips and I am starting to do thing like counting again and I am afraid. I have read a couple of these comments by people and my story is exactly like one where the guy's symptoms went away then they came back and he had a breakdown and now he cannot work so I am afraid of my future. I am only 17 on my junior year in high school and I do not want to have a relationship cause of this if I just hope this will not hold me back. I do not know what to do but I don't want to tell my parents and I do not want to be on meds it is just frustrating.

Comment from: ANP, Female Published: January 25

I am 21 years old and I am almost positive I have OCD. I count steps, lines, tiles, sidewalk spaces, letters, etc. I'm obsessed with numbers. I don't like messes I have to clean and clean and clean. I can't take a shower if the house isn't clean, bed made, dishes done, even laundry. I hate clean laundry sitting out I feel like I have to re wash it. I love doing laundry and I purposely find things around the house to wash. I'm a weirdo, sometimes I overwhelm myself. My Husband thinks I'm a neat freak but inside I'm screaming! My knuckles bleed occasionally from washing them in only hot water and three times. I have certain rituals I have to do and hand washing is one of them. Nick (husband) will turn the water off or on cold and I have to start over and it makes me get a nervous feeling because I can't move on without washing them three times. I have a thing about doors being shut and locked I have to check everything three times. If I snap on one hand I have to snap on the other to make it even a lot of this I try hard to hide and as I'm typing this I'm feeling anxious and nervous. Nobody realizes how extreme I am. I try to keep it this way.

Comment from: blondsicle28, 25-34 Female Published: December 14

I have suffered from OCD as far as I can remember. I was adopted at the age of 4, coming from an abusive and neglectful home. When I got to my adoptive home, I began to hoard food for my sister and I in fear no one would feed us, as my birth-mom did. I received counseling for 24 years and was diagnosed with depression and OCD at the age of 5. I met my birth-mom when I was 23. She has been on disability for OCD for 40 years. My birth-brother has OCD and so does my sister. I don't physically have to hoard food anymore, as now I am a married woman with two kids, but I do still over-buy, a habit with the OCD. Also, I am an OCD cleaner, especially with surfaces and organization. I am on meds and have been for years; they do help. If I get off schedule at all, I get very out of sorts. The meds help me to not get so stressed and crazy about it. I still clean like a crazy person, just minus some of the urgency , sometimes, not all the time, but we are working on it.

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)?
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you experience with your obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)?
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) - Risks Question: Do you have a relative with OCD? If so, do you believe there's a genetic risk for developing the condition?