Patient Comments: Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) - Symptoms

What symptoms do you experience with your obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)?

Comment from: Zeshan, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: January 31

I got obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) when I was 16. My life totally changed. From then on I hate myself. I have thoughts again and again in my brain I could not stop when I think about sex or other dirty things. I wash my eyes and ears with soap. Also it gives me so much pain but I could not stop I don't know what to do or where to go. I am so hopeless, my life is ruined due to this OCD.

Comment from: cindyartist3, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I have to check and recheck things in order to assure myself that things are done. I make a list and check things off so I know I have done them, but I still have to check and recheck things. I need to keep all doors, fences, gates locked. I must have everything clean, neat, and in order and I have to do everything in the same exact order. If anything or anyone interrupts me, I have to begin all over again.

Comment from: (Caregiver) Published: October 13

My daughter excessively washes her hands. She will go through 10oz of liquid soap in two days.

Comment from: Alva, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 08

I have been diagnosed with "OCD." My family thinks I should be hospitalized but I do not agree. I wash my hands excessively, but I have been trying to do less and less of this.

Comment from: novia, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 12

I have this OCD urge to pull individual strands of hair from either or both my mustach and eyebrow. Don't always do it, but as they tend to get long I do.

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD).
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)?
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) - Risks Question: Do you have a relative with OCD? If so, do you believe there's a genetic risk for developing the condition?