Patient Comments: Obesity - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your obesity?

Comment from: astorin, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

I have lost 54 lbs and 12% body fat in the last year, by cutting out sodas and most processed foods and by exercising 60 to 150 minutes 5 to 6 days a week. I do both cardio and resistance training (cardio alone stopped working after a couple months) and log my food so that I am aware of what and how much I am putting into my body. I am happier, healthier, and able to do the things I want to, and it is a lifestyle I can see myself living with long term.

Comment from: MrsManners862, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

Bariatric surgery worked for me. Go to a doctor you believe in. Follow his advice. If you have an eating disorder, then you will need a wider support group. Surgery alone won't help!

Comment from: avigael, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

I spent my life trying to lose weight. I tried everything, even an operation of the stomach. Nothing worked except for OA: Overeaters Anonymous. I have lost all my weight, and it's not coming back. For me, food is an addiction, and I need to work through a 12-step group. It's an incredible program that changed my life. There are meetings all over the world. Good luck.

Comment from: happy1, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 17

I found that when I follow Weight Watchers and write down everything I eat and eat only the amounts allowed, I lose weight. For me, the secret is simply writing it down and eating only the amount allowed. I can eat anything I want, but I must limit the portions. When my husband and I were young, we ate this way naturally. We have, unfortunately, done what our culture has done: enlarged our portions. When I stop writing and counting portions, I start gaining again.

Comment from: stevetex2006, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 26

I lost 100 pounds by drinking large amounts of water during meal time, which helped me cut back my food intake. When I went off the diet after reaching my goal, I started slowly gaining. I didn't have a plan for post-diet. Now, 108 pounds later at 308 pounds I'm looking at losing again, but I know I need to work out a post diet plan or it won't stick.

Comment from: Bahar, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 06

I'm a surgeon, male 67 years old 169 cm and 85 kg at Sept 2011, so for 3 months my menu is boiled chicken and fruit.

Comment from: Princess, 19-24 Female Published: March 14

I was a little chubby growing up, but not exactly "fat." Ever since senior year of high school, I lost a lot of weight because of cheerleading. Now, I go to the gym once or twice a week and work out. Now, I'm auditioning to be a NFL cheerleader this year! I say I'm a success story or wonder woman.

Comment from: Bess, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I was on a weight loss medication back in the 80's. I wound up putting the weight back on over the past 6 years but now can't seem to find the medication that worked for me. It was Preludes and I was taking 130mg a daily.

Comment from: bigredtruck56, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 15

I had a gastric bypass roux-n-y at 450 pounds in 1991. I have maintained a weight of under 300 pounds since that time. I weighed 179 on Oct, 23 2006, the day I had a heart transplant. Now, two years later, I weigh 290 pounds.

Obesity - Are You Obese? Question: Many adults and children are considered obese. Please share your personal experience with being overweight and obese.
Obesity - Surgery Experience Question: Did you or someone you know have surgery to treat obesity? Please describe what the experience was like.