Patient Comments: Obesity - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your obesity?

Comment from: Vellybean, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 05

For several weeks I had lower back pain. It wasn't disabling, just there. After three weeks, my right lower back hurt so bad I thought an ovary had twisted or something. I tried to wait it out. I took a hot bath. I got out of the tub and proceeded to start vomiting in the toilet. The pain in my back was severe. I woke my husband up and asked him to drive me to the emergency room. I then threw up more there and gave a urine sample. The pain was so bad, I could barely walk and talked very quietly. They did a CT scan and found out I had a 4 mm stone that was in my tube that goes from the kidney to the bladder. They gave me pain medications and anti-nausea medication. Once the pain was lessened, I was sent home with pain medication, anti-nausea medication, super strong Tylenol, and a medication that was to relax the walls of the tube. They told me to drink a lot of liquids with real lemon juice in them. It took three more days for it to move to my bladder and then came out with no issues. I am still waiting to find out what it is made of. I am 52 and it was my first stone ever. I hope I never get another one. It was worse than having a baby and I did all natural child birth with my two boys. Worst pain ever!

Comment from: astorin, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

I have lost 54 lbs and 12% body fat in the last year, by cutting out sodas and most processed foods and by exercising 60 to 150 minutes 5 to 6 days a week. I do both cardio and resistance training (cardio alone stopped working after a couple months) and log my food so that I am aware of what and how much I am putting into my body. I am happier, healthier, and able to do the things I want to, and it is a lifestyle I can see myself living with long term.

Comment from: MrsManners862, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

Bariatric surgery worked for me. Go to a doctor you believe in. Follow his advice. If you have an eating disorder, then you will need a wider support group. Surgery alone won't help!

Comment from: avigael, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

I spent my life trying to lose weight. I tried everything, even an operation of the stomach. Nothing worked except for OA: Overeaters Anonymous. I have lost all my weight, and it's not coming back. For me, food is an addiction, and I need to work through a 12-step group. It's an incredible program that changed my life. There are meetings all over the world. Good luck.

Comment from: happy1, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 17

I found that when I follow Weight Watchers and write down everything I eat and eat only the amounts allowed, I lose weight. For me, the secret is simply writing it down and eating only the amount allowed. I can eat anything I want, but I must limit the portions. When my husband and I were young, we ate this way naturally. We have, unfortunately, done what our culture has done: enlarged our portions. When I stop writing and counting portions, I start gaining again.

Comment from: Bahar, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 06

I'm a surgeon, male 67 years old 169 cm and 85 kg at Sept 2011, so for 3 months my menu is boiled chicken and fruit.

Comment from: Princess, 19-24 Female Published: March 14

I was a little chubby growing up, but not exactly "fat." Ever since senior year of high school, I lost a lot of weight because of cheerleading. Now, I go to the gym once or twice a week and work out. Now, I'm auditioning to be a NFL cheerleader this year! I say I'm a success story or wonder woman.

Comment from: Bess, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I was on a weight loss medication back in the 80's. I wound up putting the weight back on over the past 6 years but now can't seem to find the medication that worked for me. It was Preludes and I was taking 130mg a daily.

Obesity - Are You Obese? Question: Many adults and children are considered obese. Please share your personal experience with being overweight or obese.
Obesity - Surgery Experience Question: Did you or someone you know have surgery to treat obesity? Please describe what the experience was like.