What other names is Oats known by?
Avena, Avena Fructus, Avena byzantina, Avena orientalis, Avena sativa, Avena volgensis, Avenae Herba, Avenae Stramentum, Avoine, Avoine Entière, Avoine Sauvage, Cereal Fiber, Dietary Fiber, Farine d'Avoine, Fibre Alimentaire, Fibre Céréalière, Fibre d'Avoine, Folle Avoine, Grain d'Avoine, Green Oat, Green Oat Grass, Groats, Gruau, Oat, Oat Bran, Oat Fiber, Oat Flour, Oat Fruit, Oat Grain, Oat Grass, Oat Herb, Oat Straw, Oat Tops, Oatstraw, Oatmeal, Oats, Paille, Paille d'Avoine, Porridge, Rolled Oats, Son d'Avoine, Straw, Whole Oat, Whole Oats, Wild Oat, Wild Oat Herb, Wild Oats Milky Seed.
What is Oats?
Oat is a plant. People use the above ground parts including the seed (oat), leaves and stem (oat straw), and bran (the outer layer of whole oats) to make medicine.
Likely Effective for...
- Reducing the risk of heart disease, when oat bran is used as part of a diet low in fat and cholesterol.
- Lowering cholesterol. Consuming oat products such as oatmeal and oat bran when used as part of a diet low in fat and cholesterol can significantly lower cholesterol levels.
Possibly Effective for...
- Reducing blood sugar levels in people with diabetes when oat bran is used in the diet.
- Preventing stomach cancer when oats and oat bran are used in the diet.
Possibly Ineffective for...
Insufficient Evidence to Rate Effectiveness for...
- Blocking fat from being absorbed from the gut, preventing fat redistribution syndrome in people with HIV disease, preventing gallstones, treating irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), diverticulosis, inflammatory bowel disease, constipation, anxiety, stress, nerve disorders, bladder weakness, joint and tendon disorders, gout, kidney conditions, opium and nicotine withdrawal, skin diseases, and other conditions.
Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database rates effectiveness based on scientific evidence according to the following scale: Effective, Likely Effective, Possibly Effective, Possibly Ineffective, Likely Ineffective, and Insufficient Evidence to Rate (detailed description of each of the ratings).