Patient Comments: Nosebleed - Causes

What was the cause of your nosebleed?

Comment from: Somill, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I am a 75-year old woman in fairly good health. I recently had 3 episodes of nosebleed, from the right nostril only. When I got awake, I had the urge to blow my nose, and what came first was crusted blood followed by a trickle of blood from the nostril. All blood disappeared after blowing my nose a couple of times. The incidents happened about 3 weeks apart, the latest being Nov 27, 2013 (I keep a health log). I'm not alarmed, but I sure wonder what this is all about. I've been taking medication for high blood pressure and cholesterol for several years, and I've had a pacemaker just over a year.

Comment from: J9, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I had terrible chest congestion and sinus, then started a severe cough attack. I threw up clear stuff and my nose bled bright red, lots. It scared me. I thought it was my lung. My nose hurt real badly after that.

Comment from: 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: December 13

I am a sixteen-year-old male. I have never in memory experienced a nosebleed before except that induced by physical trauma. The other day in school I was suddenly and without warning afflicted by an extremely profuse nosebleed. Like, seriously gushing everywhere. Lasted almost ten minutes. Was mildly upsetting. Happened again today while I was chilling at my grandmother's house. Not as profuse or long-lasting, but equally random. Suggested cause: dry air and winter weather, sinuses. Not so certain.

Comment from: kmandrell, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 25

I have had nosebleeds since I was the age of 7 years. I am now 30 years old and still get nosebleeds. They start for no reason at times. I can blow my nose and they start and the strangest is when I'm doing nothing, get pressure all around my head and then my nose begins to bleed. I also find that when I am walking up stairs, I get light-headed and almost pass out if I do not stop because I get so dizzy. I have only passed out 3 times (that I know of) due to being so light headed and then my nose begins to bleed.

Comment from: pbkmccallum, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I fell on my face and my nose is bleeding.

Comment from: Ali, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: February 26

I have not suffered from a nosebleed since I was younger and even then it has never been that bad. I woke up this morning and after an hour or 2 of being awake my nose started gushing with blood.

Comment from: rhy, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 30

As far as I remember I have had no blood dyscrasia or abnormalities. But as I grew older I experienced epistaxis or nose bleeding during night time or dawn. I do not take blood thinner medication.

Comment from: Nosebleeding, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 26

I have a friend who used to be addicted to cocaine. She now claims she never uses it; however, on occasion I've noticed her Kleenex has a slight tinge of blood (very slight). Sometimes I feel she is not telling me the truth because of the friends she continues to hang with. She does use Plavix due to a surgery she had several years ago. She claims she no longer uses cocaine.

Nosebleed - Length Symptoms Lasted Question: How long did the symptoms of your nosebleed last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?
Nosebleed - Prevention Question: If you've had a nosebleed, what do you do to prevent another one from occurring?
Nosebleed - Stop Question: What do you do to stop a nosebleed?