Patient Comments: Nosebleed - Causes

What was the cause of your nosebleed?

Comment from: MarkH, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: November 30

I haven't always had it happen. But, for a few years now I get them predictably starting around November and throughout the colder months. So it's pretty obvious that the cause of mine are the winter circumstances.

Comment from: sheena, 35-44 Female Published: October 17

I have never had a nosebleed in my life. For the last two days, I have been having bleeds that last for up to 6 minutes, and like others have said, mildly upsetting and extremely annoying. I can't think that this has anything to do with the weather as I have lived in the same climate for all my adult life. I am confused and will find out more until these 'sessions' are no longer a problem.

Comment from: RG, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 03

We took my son to the ER since he was having frequent nosebleeds, though they were short in duration. He is sixteen and has always been prone to them, but they really increased lately and all the treatments we were using did not seem to help. The ER doctor said my son had a nasal polyp which caused the bleeding. I was not aware that polyps do this, we are taking him to an ENT.

Published: August 29

For all of my sister's life she has experienced a mild nosebleed whenever she took aspirin. Well, she tried to take Tylenol and the same thing happens. She only takes 1 pill of either pill if she absolutely has to. Interesting!

Comment from: chris, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 16

I have had a cold for about a week and have blown my nose quite hard frequently. Had a little blood before but thought nothing of it. Then today was working bent down drilling a hole in a wall. Got up and then my nose just started pouring blood. Sought medical advice and they said keep head forward and pinch nose hard just below bone. Did that and it stopped after 45 minutes felt drained all day. An awful thing. Won't blow so hard next time.

Comment from: sunandsea, 55-64 Female Published: March 16

I am a 58 year old female and today for the first time in my life, I experienced a nose bleed. It came on very suddenly. I had to admit it was very upsetting. The nose bleed lasted for about 15 minutes. I treated it with some ice in a cloth. By the time I reached the doctor, 20 minutes later, it had stopped. Reason suggested: Blood vessel ruptured in the nose. I hope that I do not experience this again.

Comment from: nosebleeder2, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

I've had nosebleeds on and off for years in the winter. It is the dry climate in the winter months. But, I think these nosebleeds I've been having for a few weeks now are from when I went to the dentist to have four bottom teeth taken out, and the dentist left part of a tooth in there and tells me it's not there. My gums keep hurting, and then before I know it, it starts bleeding. I passed a large blood clot and the nosebleeds stopped for about three days and now they are back again.

Comment from: Triggsc, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 11

I had nosebleed on my right nostril for four days. It would stop for a while then start again and blood would run down my throat. I finally went to the ER. They cleaned it out, gave me a plastic clip and told me to use saline nasal spray. Today it started again so I used spray for the first time and it stopped. I will use the saline spray to keep it lubricated as directed.

Comment from: stevie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

My nosebleed came from nowhere. I blew my nose and it bled for 15 minutes. Huge clots were passed and I've been dealing with this for three days now. Last night, I vomited and my nose started bleeding again. I have a headache, but I thought it was just my sinuses.

Nosebleed - Length Symptoms Lasted Question: How long did the symptoms of your nosebleed last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?
Nosebleed - Prevention Question: If you've had a nosebleed, what do you do to prevent another one from occurring?
Nosebleed - Stop Question: What do you do to stop a nosebleed?