Patient Comments: Nosebleed - Causes

What was the cause of your nosebleed?

Comment from: Vishal, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 21

I am suffering from an allergic throat and acute sinusitis. Sometimes, due to excessive coughing in the morning to clear my nose and throat, I see blood in my sputum and then my throat starts hurting. Can somebody advise me how can I get rid of these disease? It has been almost three years now.

Comment from: scout, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I also have had several episodes recently and it may be the dryness in my house. One day it was bleeding quite a bit and took me a long time to get it stopped. When I did get it to stop, I bent over to get something, it started again. It is so hard to stop your everyday life but learn I have to take it easy. Two days later, it started again but not as severe. I mentioned it to my doctor and she doesn't know why, I may have to go to the ENT if it continues to recur.

Comment from: soloist, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 06

I am guilty of being a nose picker and every morning I find my nose lining dry, so I blow but it doesn't shift it. Sure enough I did it once too often and as I removed my finger, down came the blood. I had my nose cauterized at aged 15, but didn't have much trouble again until a few years back and am now 65. I've had several bleeds in last few days and each time I think it has stopped, but just a bend down to do some gardening started it off again. I definitely won't touch my nose again!!

Comment from: 65-74 Male Published: December 20

I am 74 years old and in very good health (lots of gym and spinning). After about one hour of sleep I noticed my nose was running. I thought it was just a runny nose but then I noticed the liquid was blood. I use a humidifier and it is not very cold outside. My nose has been bleeding for about 15 minutes, though not profusely. I do take an 81 milligram aspirin per day and have some hypertension, but I don't understand why the bleeding occurred.

Comment from: MarkH, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: November 30

I haven't always had it happen. But, for a few years now I get them predictably starting around November and throughout the colder months. So it's pretty obvious that the cause of mine are the winter circumstances.

Comment from: sheena, 35-44 Female Published: October 17

I have never had a nosebleed in my life. For the last two days, I have been having bleeds that last for up to 6 minutes, and like others have said, mildly upsetting and extremely annoying. I can't think that this has anything to do with the weather as I have lived in the same climate for all my adult life. I am confused and will find out more until these 'sessions' are no longer a problem.

Comment from: RG, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 03

We took my son to the ER since he was having frequent nosebleeds, though they were short in duration. He is sixteen and has always been prone to them, but they really increased lately and all the treatments we were using did not seem to help. The ER doctor said my son had a nasal polyp which caused the bleeding. I was not aware that polyps do this, we are taking him to an ENT.

Published: August 29

For all of my sister's life she has experienced a mild nosebleed whenever she took aspirin. Well, she tried to take Tylenol and the same thing happens. She only takes 1 pill of either pill if she absolutely has to. Interesting!

Comment from: chris, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 16

I have had a cold for about a week and have blown my nose quite hard frequently. Had a little blood before but thought nothing of it. Then today was working bent down drilling a hole in a wall. Got up and then my nose just started pouring blood. Sought medical advice and they said keep head forward and pinch nose hard just below bone. Did that and it stopped after 45 minutes felt drained all day. An awful thing. Won't blow so hard next time.

Nosebleed - Length Symptoms Lasted Question: How long did the symptoms of your nosebleed last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?
Nosebleed - Prevention Question: If you've had a nosebleed, what do you do to prevent another one from occurring?
Nosebleed - Stop Question: What do you do to stop a nosebleed?