Patient Comments: Nosebleed - Causes

What was the cause of your nosebleed?

Comment from: kmandrell, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 25

I have had nosebleeds since I was the age of 7 years. I am now 30 years old and still get nosebleeds. They start for no reason at times. I can blow my nose and they start and the strangest is when I'm doing nothing, get pressure all around my head and then my nose begins to bleed. I also find that when I am walking up stairs, I get light-headed and almost pass out if I do not stop because I get so dizzy. I have only passed out 3 times (that I know of) due to being so light headed and then my nose begins to bleed.

Comment from: Ali, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: February 26

I have not suffered from a nosebleed since I was younger and even then it has never been that bad. I woke up this morning and after an hour or 2 of being awake my nose started gushing with blood.

Comment from: rhy, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 30

As far as I remember I have had no blood dyscrasia or abnormalities. But as I grew older I experienced epistaxis or nose bleeding during night time or dawn. I do not take blood thinner medication.

Comment from: Nosebleeding, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 26

I have a friend who used to be addicted to cocaine. She now claims she never uses it; however, on occasion I've noticed her Kleenex has a slight tinge of blood (very slight). Sometimes I feel she is not telling me the truth because of the friends she continues to hang with. She does use Plavix due to a surgery she had several years ago. She claims she no longer uses cocaine.

Comment from: Vishal, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 21

I am suffering from an allergic throat and acute sinusitis. Sometimes, due to excessive coughing in the morning to clear my nose and throat, I see blood in my sputum and then my throat starts hurting. Can somebody advise me how can I get rid of these disease? It has been almost three years now.

Comment from: scout, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I also have had several episodes recently and it may be the dryness in my house. One day it was bleeding quite a bit and took me a long time to get it stopped. When I did get it to stop, I bent over to get something, it started again. It is so hard to stop your everyday life but learn I have to take it easy. Two days later, it started again but not as severe. I mentioned it to my doctor and she doesn't know why, I may have to go to the ENT if it continues to recur.

Comment from: soloist, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 06

I am guilty of being a nose picker and every morning I find my nose lining dry, so I blow but it doesn't shift it. Sure enough I did it once too often and as I removed my finger, down came the blood. I had my nose cauterized at aged 15, but didn't have much trouble again until a few years back and am now 65. I've had several bleeds in last few days and each time I think it has stopped, but just a bend down to do some gardening started it off again. I definitely won't touch my nose again!!

Comment from: 65-74 Male Published: December 20

I am 74 years old and in very good health (lots of gym and spinning). After about one hour of sleep I noticed my nose was running. I thought it was just a runny nose but then I noticed the liquid was blood. I use a humidifier and it is not very cold outside. My nose has been bleeding for about 15 minutes, though not profusely. I do take an 81 milligram aspirin per day and have some hypertension, but I don't understand why the bleeding occurred.

Nosebleed - Length Symptoms Lasted Question: How long did the symptoms of your nosebleed last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?
Nosebleed - Prevention Question: If you've had a nosebleed, what do you do to prevent another one from occurring?
Nosebleed - Stop Question: What do you do to stop a nosebleed?