Patient Comments: Nosebleed - Symptoms and Remedies

How long did the symptoms of your nosebleed last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?

Comment from: federico, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 14

Six months ago I had a nosebleed. I was told this was caused due to my high blood pressure but is now under control. The bleeding didn't stop for almost 4 hours and I was spitting blood through my mouth. I had always had this problem almost my entire life. It seems like no one knows what is causing this problem at all. I went to urgent care and the bleeding stopped, they continue saying it is due to my nostrils getting dry. Today as I was going to have dinner it started bleeding like someone opened a water faucet and finally stopped after 30 minutes.

Comment from: ph1967, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 03

I just recently had a nosebleed that lasted for about 1 hour and 20 minutes. I went to an after-hours clinic after about 20 minutes and they sent me to the emergency room (ER). By the time I got there, it had been bleeding for about an hour. They packed it with gauze in the after-hours clinic, and when I got to the ER, the blood was so backed up in my sinuses, that blood was coming out of my tear ducts. It finally stopped on its own. They gave me a nice clamp to use in the ER, and I have used it on two nosebleeds since I got home with success.

Comment from: pia67, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 06

I never had nose bleeds before, but now out of nowhere I been having nosebleeds starting with a sensation of burning above my upper sinuses and I do not know what to make of it. I had a stroke in 2007 and after that some episodes occurred. Maybe that is the cause of my nosebleeds now.

Comment from: Nose bleeding, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 26

My 5 year old brother has been getting nosebleed since past 1 month. First time he got nose bleeding because he fell down from first floor to down floor. Then after that, whenever he gets any pain in his body, automatically nose bleeding starts.

Comment from: Dlibi, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 10

I am bleeding nonstop. Adrenalin has been used but does not help at all.

Comment from: ANN, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 30

My son has been experiencing nosebleed at around 1 and 2 am for 2 days in a row. But it takes only a second then it stops. He had a fever in the last 2 days, but today he doesn't have a fever but still he experienced nosebleed.

Comment from: Sunny, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

Have you heard of vonWillebrand's Disease? One out of every 100 people have it, many people live their whole lives without being diagnosed. Symptoms are prolonged nosebleeds, periods lasting longer than 7 days, heavy periods (change pad or tampon in 2 hours or less and or heavy or large clots) easy bruising. There is treatment. Call the Hemophilia Treatment Center closest to you for more information. Knowing I have vonWillebrands Disease saved my life during surgery and my bleeding is now very controlled. Great relief!

Comment from: mcbecker, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 16

I have been having nosebleeds on and off over the past few weeks. I haven't found anything environmental causing them, though most frequently they begin while I am sleeping. I suffer from postnasal drip, so I wake to find that I am choking on blood. I spit it out and then the blood begins to pour down my face, usually coming from the left nostril. This usually lasts for about 10 minutes or so. I don't pick my nose and am not experiencing any cold or flu symptoms. The only peculiar things I have recognized are the increased amount of phlegm I've been spitting out lately and a horrible headache that wasn't treatable by Tylenol, Aleve, or caffeine today. The headache focused itself mainly on the left side of my temple today.

Nosebleed - Causes Question: What was the cause of your nosebleed?
Nosebleed - Frequent or Chronic Question: If you suffer from frequent or chronic nosebleeds, how do you prevent them from recurring?
Nosebleed - Stop Fast Question: What do you do to stop a nosebleed?