Patient Comments: Nosebleed - Symptoms and Remedies

How long did the symptoms of your nosebleed last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?

Comment from: cxgen, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

My nosebleeds generally last about 40 to 60 minutes. I get them maybe once every couple of months which is more often than I would like.

Comment from: Wanda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

My nose bleeds when I have my bowel movement, a lot.

Comment from: Louise, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

The nose bleed was very violent, in my left nostril. It seemed the blood just poured out and it lasted for about a quarter of an hour the first time. The 2nd time, about 5 hours later, was not quite so violent, but in both nostrils. It lasted about 10 minutes I think.

Comment from: Hutchie, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 22

First time nose bleed was at 67 years old. My nose bleed was excessive for fifteen minutes. I woke up with lots of congestion in nose and went to the bathroom to blow my nose, but before I could do so, the bleeding started and really scared me since it was very excessive and, it would not stop as I didn't know the proper procedures of stopping it. No pain associated with bleeding before or after. It has been three days and no bleeding so far. I am going to see a specialist for nose and sinus in a few days.

Comment from: NICOLEG25, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 22

My nose bleeds almost every day and has done so for the past 2 years and I have had several nasal procedures to stop them but they have not worked. My ENT told me he has no idea what to do and cannot help me so I deal with a nose bleed almost every day that takes me about 30 to 45 minutes to stop. I don't know what to do now but I know I cannot live like this!

Comment from: dlebow1, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 07

I am a male turning 66 next month. I really never had this issue previously, though I did have a broken nose when I was around 18. About maybe 2 plus years ago, I started having infrequent nosebleeds. I went to emergency room once where they instructed me to pinch my nose, tilt my head forward and allow it to bleed. It stopped in about an hour. I went to an ENT and he chemically cauterized the bleeder and the nosebleeds stopped. He mentioned I had a deviated septum and advised keeping my nose moist with saline spray, which I did and do, and to utilize Afrin when I felt irritation or had bleeding. After a short period of time I started having additional infrequent nosebleeds, once every couple weeks, which would last 20 to 30 minutes. I would stand near a sink and pinch my nose and they would stop. The episodes were very disconcerting. I would visit my ENT and he would typically chemically zap what he thought was a bleeding blood vessel. His examinations with his scope reiterated I had a deviated septum which caused extreme dryness of my right side nasal passage. I utilized Ocean Spray multiple times a day. At this point, he suggested I insert a wad of a cotton ball soaked in Afrin when the nosebleeds occurred. They were starting to be more frequent, randomly or after sneezing. This seems to control the bleeding and shortens their duration as they press on the blood vessels. I typically leave them in for 20 to 40 minutes depending on the severity of the nose bleed and when the blood dripping through the cotton ball stops. When the cotton plug is extracted there is typically a large clot of blood that also follows the cotton. Over the last 2 months I have probably had 25 plus episodes. The ENT has placed this light packing in a couple of areas in my right nostril and we have scheduled a septoplasty procedure for next week to repair my deviated septum. He is confident it should alleviate the frequent nosebleed as the deviation makes them extremely dry and it is impossible to treat the blood vessels affected. I will post the post-operation results but I sure hope he is correct. There is nothing good about trying to conduct a normal life when you never know when your nose is going to explode.

Comment from: MM, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 12

My nose bleeds almost daily and has for as long as I can remember. I am posting for others so maybe they can better understand their issue, if it is anything like mine. I do believe there are many contributing factors, non-seasonal, yearly allergies, living in a dry climate, and broken nose that had to be re-broken which removed more bone/cartilage, thinning the inner lining of my nostrils. I also have asthma. That has no direct relation to the cause of the nosebleeds; however, allergies turn into post-nasal drip, which in turn causes asthma (all nose-throat-ear-lung issues). I try and keep my nose dry and take an antihistamine almost daily. I cannot stand moisture in my nostrils and that is pretty much due to the re-breaking of my nose (the whole healing process). So, if you have issues with using an ointment or saline spray (like I do), use a humidifier at home. I have low blood pressure on top of Raynaud's syndrome. My hands, feet and tip of my nose are usually always cold. I am sure that helps my nose not full on drip blood every day, however, it still has blood in there just about every day. Recently, I have been taking ibuprofen for a foot injury and today, one nostril just started bleeding out of nowhere! I thought, ok! It didn't last long and I haven't had nosebleeds like that often. A doctor did confirm however, that when they re-broke my nose, they can tell some damage was done to the inner walls of my nostrils which are part of the reason. Anyway, saline spray and a humidifier seem to help. Staying well hydrated as well!

Nosebleed - Causes Question: What was the cause of your nosebleed?
Nosebleed - Frequent or Chronic Question: If you suffer from frequent or chronic nosebleeds, how do you prevent them from recurring?
Nosebleed - Stop Fast Question: What do you do to stop a nosebleed?