Patient Comments: Nosebleed - Stop

What do you do to stop a nosebleed?

Comment from: Tink, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 13

I am now having nosebleeds again, after not having them since childhood. I've tried many things and been to the emergency room. Here's the best, easiest and fastest way to stop them. Use the 'thumbs up' method. Raise your thumb on the side that's bleeding, then press thumb inward to mash that nostril flat against the septum. Hold firmly 10 minutes straight. Slowly release to allow blood flow to return. Repeat if needed. Even kids can do this.

Comment from: meet sandhu, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

I experienced nose-bleed twice within a month. And as far as I know about the cause, it was dryness caused by the radiators in winter. We should keep our sinuses lubricated with oil. Regular oiling your nostrils can prevent nose bleed. Staying cool and hydrated in winter is mandatory as well.

Comment from: Lan, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

I have had nosebleeds for as long as I remember. Last year, due to environmental changes, I suffered from a nasal infection and a serious case of strep, for both of which I took antibiotics. After the strep my nose, right nostril, was bleeding every day for about 10 minutes. I got it cauterized and it stopped for a month, I got it cauterized again and it got worse. After the third time nothing changed and now it is 7 months since they started, they go for about 15 minutes, and yes, every day. I am hoping to try an allergy specialist next because I do have allergies that have given me strange reactions in the past. What helps during a nose bleed, after I wash my face with cold water I pinch my nose, right under the bone, and after 15 minutes it stops. I get major headaches afterwards so I make sure to sit and drink water. Using Vaseline to keep it moist also helps. I apply it with a Q-tip.

Comment from: dnichols, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: February 20

About two weeks ago, I was standing in the bathroom, when I felt something in my nose. I looked up and blood was running from my nose, no warning, but after a few minutes it stopped. A few days later, I woke up and it was bleeding again, so it scared me so bad, I woke my husband and told him, and he called the emergency room (ER) and they told him to tell me to pinch my nose and hold it for about 15 minutes and it stopped. The next time it happened I did the same thing. All this happened in a matter of a few days and then on Thursday night, same thing. Then on Friday morning we went to breakfast, and it bled so bad I couldn't stop it so I went to the ER. They cauterized it and about 1:00 in the morning, I was back at the ER. They packed it and sent me home for 48 hours. When they took out the packing, it started bleeding again wouldn't stop, so I was sent to the ER. Now I have an appointment with an ENT, so I will wait and see. I never had anything like this before, it scared me.

Comment from: Huschi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I started getting nosebleeds about 5 years ago--for no reason. The first time, I went to urgent care, where they packed both sides, made me swallow 2 blood pressure pills as my blood pressure was so high, and sent me to an ENT specialist, who cauterized the right side. I have been having 1 to 2 bleeds a year. I still get really nervous and it takes about 2 hours to stop the heavy bleeding. I use a cotton ball with Afrin nose spray and lots of paper towels. I always end up at the ER and they end up having to cauterize one side or the other. Trying to stay calm and realize that the bleeding will stop is easy to say, but difficult to do when you are vomiting up clots and still bleeding hard. I am told by ER staff that some people are just prone to nosebleeds--no reason why.

Comment from: b kumar, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 18

My nose bleeds from left side. It takes 10 minutes to stop. I take Septron.

Comment from: Antonio, Male (Caregiver) Published: July 15

What i do when my nose starts bleeding is i get in the shower and turn on the cold water, after two to five minutes in the cold water the bleeding stops. I hope this can help people with this issue.

Comment from: WILD ENOUGH, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

After all is said and done, an ice pack on the back of my neck works best.

Nosebleed - Length Symptoms Lasted Question: How long did the symptoms of your nosebleed last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?
Nosebleed - Causes Question: What was the cause of your nosebleed?
Nosebleed - Prevention Question: If you've had a nosebleed, what do you do to prevent another one from occurring?