Patient Comments: Nosebleed - Stop

What do you do to stop a nosebleed?

Comment from: Lan, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

I have had nosebleeds for as long as I remember. Last year, due to environmental changes, I suffered from a nasal infection and a serious case of strep, for both of which I took antibiotics. After the strep my nose, right nostril, was bleeding every day for about 10 minutes. I got it cauterized and it stopped for a month, I got it cauterized again and it got worse. After the third time nothing changed and now it is 7 months since they started, they go for about 15 minutes, and yes, every day. I am hoping to try an allergy specialist next because I do have allergies that have given me strange reactions in the past. What helps during a nose bleed, after I wash my face with cold water I pinch my nose, right under the bone, and after 15 minutes it stops. I get major headaches afterwards so I make sure to sit and drink water. Using Vaseline to keep it moist also helps. I apply it with a Q-tip.

Comment from: Huschi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I started getting nosebleeds about 5 years ago--for no reason. The first time, I went to urgent care, where they packed both sides, made me swallow 2 blood pressure pills as my blood pressure was so high, and sent me to an ENT specialist, who cauterized the right side. I have been having 1 to 2 bleeds a year. I still get really nervous and it takes about 2 hours to stop the heavy bleeding. I use a cotton ball with Afrin nose spray and lots of paper towels. I always end up at the ER and they end up having to cauterize one side or the other. Trying to stay calm and realize that the bleeding will stop is easy to say, but difficult to do when you are vomiting up clots and still bleeding hard. I am told by ER staff that some people are just prone to nosebleeds--no reason why.

Comment from: Antonio, Male (Caregiver) Published: July 15

What i do when my nose starts bleeding is i get in the shower and turn on the cold water, after two to five minutes in the cold water the bleeding stops. I hope this can help people with this issue.

Comment from: WILD ENOUGH, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

After all is said and done, an ice pack on the back of my neck works best.

Nosebleed - Length Symptoms Lasted Question: How long did the symptoms of your nosebleed last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?
Nosebleed - Causes Question: What was the cause of your nosebleed?
Nosebleed - Prevention Question: If you've had a nosebleed, what do you do to prevent another one from occurring?