Patient Comments: Nosebleed - Length Symptoms Lasted

Question:How long did the symptoms of your nosebleed last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?

Comment from: mayen, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

My nose bleeding lasts almost one minute, but this happen always on summer days. When the weather is hot, I expect I am going to have a nose bleeding. It is sometimes twice a day and always lasts almost a minute. And after nose bleeding headache will attack.

Comment from: RLM5555, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 19

I've had nosebleeds off and on pretty much my whole life. Some bleeds take only a few minutes to stop, others bleed much faster and take around 30 minutes to stop (though not often). At times when I was younger, my nose was so sensitive that even someone tapping my head would cause a bleed. The bleeding seemed to switch nostrils over the years which is odd because recently my nose doctor told me I have a deviated septum (inner part of nose basically shaped like a C). Thus when I breathe most of the air goes into my right nostril which dries it out and thus my body sends more blood to those vessels to try and keep it dry, once they dry too much and crack it bleeds. So it seems dryness is the culprit. Before I knew this I had both sides of my nose cauterized when I was younger (that doctor couldn't tell I had a deviated septum!) so don't get it cauterized if drying is the issue because that maybe lasted for about a year before it bled again. So now I use a product called Ponaris which is like a pine oil to keep it better moisturized and I also use saline spray. Though these products definitely help, it seems during the winter my nose will occasionally bleed and there's no amount of moisturizing that will be 100 percent preventive. If I'm sick I do everything I can not to blow my nose because I know that at any time it could bleed. I believe the only permanent solution for my situation is to get the deviated septum surgically fixed but I'm not going that route for now. Here are some tips to stop bleeds: if it is not bleeding superfast try to get some Neosporin in there with Q-tip to help seal the nose a bit. Sit down, stay cool (ice in mouth or packs on face), and relax. If you start getting nervous your heartbeat rises which slightly makes it bleed faster. Keep head above heart always. For me, sometimes a bad bleed seems to cause thick clots of blood that build up in the nasal passages, personally I have to have this cleared. I softly try to sniff that into my throat and spit it out like you do mucus and reapply pressure. If I have to, I will blow it out softly as I can. Breathe out through the mouth and breathe in through the nose, it may assist stop the bleeding. In my experience as bleeding slows down, if you breathe through the nose the air will help dry the bleeding vessel. Once again apply Neosporin, it will help seal it and maybe assist healing.

Comment from: Mary, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 30

I do not have nosebleeds routinely. Yesterday one started after blowing my nose, and was free flowing until ice was able to work, but still a trickle. My ENT cauterized the site, and it was diagnosed to be a septal varicose vein. That was a scary 4 hours.

Comment from: Medical-Lazziness, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 22

My dad's nose has been bleeding for last 2 weeks and it happens every day. He has been to hospitals 4 times, plus he visits his family doctor. He is a heart patient, he takes aspirin regularly, been applying Vaseline, added a humidifier to the room, took 2 weeks off work; he had made the changes and been doing things to stop it but it has not. Doctors at hospital have only suggested one thing, it is cold outside and the heating dries up his nose, all 4 times, but there are other causes for nose bleed as well and none of those 4 doctors at emergency did any CT scan or x-ray scans. He was worried about loss of blood so he asked for blood count. I am not satisfied from the answer especially when he is doing everything. I am going to look into the nose spray and will insist on doing CT scan or x-ray scan next time. He is seeing a nose specialist in 3 days after the initial appointment (meet and greet).

Comment from: NICOLEG25, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 22

My nose bleeds almost every day and has done so for the past 2 years and I have had several nasal procedures to stop them but they have not worked. My ENT told me he has no idea what to do and cannot help me so I deal with a nose bleed almost every day that takes me about 30 to 45 minutes to stop. I don't know what to do now but I know I cannot live like this!

Comment from: Elaine, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I have had nose bleeding for about 3 years and am still having them. The doctor and specialist don't know what is wrong. I have had it tested, my blood pressure is ok and I am on blood thinners, but I have had the nose bleeds before I was on blood thinners. I am scared to go out because I don't know when it will start bleeding no one seems to know what to do to stop it .

Comment from: pia67, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 06

I never had nose bleeds before, but now out of nowhere I been having nosebleeds starting with a sensation of burning above my upper sinuses and I do not know what to make of it. I had a stroke in 2007 and after that some episodes occurred. Maybe that is the cause of my nosebleeds now.

Nosebleed - Causes Question: What was the cause of your nosebleed?
Nosebleed - Prevention Question: If you've had a nosebleed, what do you do to prevent another one from occurring?
Nosebleed - Stop Question: What do you do to stop a nosebleed?