Patient Comments: Nosebleed - Length Symptoms Lasted

Question:How long did the symptoms of your nosebleed last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?

Comment from: RLM5555, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 19

I've had nosebleeds off and on pretty much my whole life. Some bleeds take only a few minutes to stop, others bleed much faster and take around 30 minutes to stop (though not often). At times when I was younger, my nose was so sensitive that even someone tapping my head would cause a bleed. The bleeding seemed to switch nostrils over the years which is odd because recently my nose doctor told me I have a deviated septum (inner part of nose basically shaped like a C). Thus when I breathe most of the air goes into my right nostril which dries it out and thus my body sends more blood to those vessels to try and keep it dry, once they dry too much and crack it bleeds. So it seems dryness is the culprit. Before I knew this I had both sides of my nose cauterized when I was younger (that doctor couldn't tell I had a deviated septum!) so don't get it cauterized if drying is the issue because that maybe lasted for about a year before it bled again. So now I use a product called Ponaris which is like a pine oil to keep it better moisturized and I also use saline spray. Though these products definitely help, it seems during the winter my nose will occasionally bleed and there's no amount of moisturizing that will be 100 percent preventive. If I'm sick I do everything I can not to blow my nose because I know that at any time it could bleed. I believe the only permanent solution for my situation is to get the deviated septum surgically fixed but I'm not going that route for now. Here are some tips to stop bleeds: if it is not bleeding superfast try to get some Neosporin in there with Q-tip to help seal the nose a bit. Sit down, stay cool (ice in mouth or packs on face), and relax. If you start getting nervous your heartbeat rises which slightly makes it bleed faster. Keep head above heart always. For me, sometimes a bad bleed seems to cause thick clots of blood that build up in the nasal passages, personally I have to have this cleared. I softly try to sniff that into my throat and spit it out like you do mucus and reapply pressure. If I have to, I will blow it out softly as I can. Breathe out through the mouth and breathe in through the nose, it may assist stop the bleeding. In my experience as bleeding slows down, if you breathe through the nose the air will help dry the bleeding vessel. Once again apply Neosporin, it will help seal it and maybe assist healing.

Comment from: Mary, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 30

I do not have nosebleeds routinely. Yesterday one started after blowing my nose, and was free flowing until ice was able to work, but still a trickle. My ENT cauterized the site, and it was diagnosed to be a septal varicose vein. That was a scary 4 hours.

Comment from: Medical-Lazziness, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 22

My dad's nose has been bleeding for last 2 weeks and it happens every day. He has been to hospitals 4 times, plus he visits his family doctor. He is a heart patient, he takes aspirin regularly, been applying Vaseline, added a humidifier to the room, took 2 weeks off work; he had made the changes and been doing things to stop it but it has not. Doctors at hospital have only suggested one thing, it is cold outside and the heating dries up his nose, all 4 times, but there are other causes for nose bleed as well and none of those 4 doctors at emergency did any CT scan or x-ray scans. He was worried about loss of blood so he asked for blood count. I am not satisfied from the answer especially when he is doing everything. I am going to look into the nose spray and will insist on doing CT scan or x-ray scan next time. He is seeing a nose specialist in 3 days after the initial appointment (meet and greet).

Comment from: NICOLEG25, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 22

My nose bleeds almost every day and has done so for the past 2 years and I have had several nasal procedures to stop them but they have not worked. My ENT told me he has no idea what to do and cannot help me so I deal with a nose bleed almost every day that takes me about 30 to 45 minutes to stop. I don't know what to do now but I know I cannot live like this!

Comment from: dlebow1, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 07

I am a male turning 66 next month. I really never had this issue previously, though I did have a broken nose when I was around 18. About maybe 2 plus years ago, I started having infrequent nosebleeds. I went to emergency room once where they instructed me to pinch my nose, tilt my head forward and allow it to bleed. It stopped in about an hour. I went to an ENT and he chemically cauterized the bleeder and the nosebleeds stopped. He mentioned I had a deviated septum and advised keeping my nose moist with saline spray, which I did and do, and to utilize Afrin when I felt irritation or had bleeding. After a short period of time I started having additional infrequent nosebleeds, once every couple weeks, which would last 20 to 30 minutes. I would stand near a sink and pinch my nose and they would stop. The episodes were very disconcerting. I would visit my ENT and he would typically chemically zap what he thought was a bleeding blood vessel. His examinations with his scope reiterated I had a deviated septum which caused extreme dryness of my right side nasal passage. I utilized Ocean Spray multiple times a day. At this point, he suggested I insert a wad of a cotton ball soaked in Afrin when the nosebleeds occurred. They were starting to be more frequent, randomly or after sneezing. This seems to control the bleeding and shortens their duration as they press on the blood vessels. I typically leave them in for 20 to 40 minutes depending on the severity of the nose bleed and when the blood dripping through the cotton ball stops. When the cotton plug is extracted there is typically a large clot of blood that also follows the cotton. Over the last 2 months I have probably had 25 plus episodes. The ENT has placed this light packing in a couple of areas in my right nostril and we have scheduled a septoplasty procedure for next week to repair my deviated septum. He is confident it should alleviate the frequent nosebleed as the deviation makes them extremely dry and it is impossible to treat the blood vessels affected. I will post the post-operation results but I sure hope he is correct. There is nothing good about trying to conduct a normal life when you never know when your nose is going to explode.

Nosebleed - Causes Question: What was the cause of your nosebleed?
Nosebleed - Prevention Question: If you've had a nosebleed, what do you do to prevent another one from occurring?
Nosebleed - Stop Question: What do you do to stop a nosebleed?