Patient Comments: Nosebleed - Length Symptoms Lasted

Question:How long did the symptoms of your nosebleed last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?

Comment from: Mic, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 01

My 5 year old daughter has allergies. She"s had nose bleeds in the middle of the night which only happens in winter. I assume it"s because of her nasal passages drying out. This night she woke up with blood all over her face and a lot of blood on her pillow and even more on the bed. Very disconcerting; not used to seeing that much blood. I"m going to try Vaseline or nasal spray.

Comment from: Justdogood, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 24

I just had an incident of nose bleeding. It lasted for about 5 minutes. I held my head up, pinched my nose together and went into the rest room to get myself cleaned up. It happened right before a client who I was explaining something to. I felt embarrassed but thankfully the client seems to understand.

Comment from: Ashley08, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

I have been having nose bleeds for about a week now. First from my left nostril and now from both. It happens throughout the day and I am constantly having to wipe my nose. I have tried Vaseline for the past couple of days but it doesn't seem to be improving. When I sleep one nostril dries while the other bleeds and I end up waking up with a dry mouth or I feel as if I am suffocating. I do not know what else to try. I always got nose bleeds even as a kid. But they have never been this bad and never this long.

Comment from: federico, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 14

Six months ago I had a nosebleed. I was told this was caused due to my high blood pressure but is now under control. The bleeding didn't stop for almost 4 hours and I was spitting blood through my mouth. I had always had this problem almost my entire life. It seems like no one knows what is causing this problem at all. I went to urgent care and the bleeding stopped, they continue saying it is due to my nostrils getting dry. Today as I was going to have dinner it started bleeding like someone opened a water faucet and finally stopped after 30 minutes.

Comment from: ph1967, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 03

I just recently had a nosebleed that lasted for about 1 hour and 20 minutes. I went to an after-hours clinic after about 20 minutes and they sent me to the emergency room (ER). By the time I got there, it had been bleeding for about an hour. They packed it with gauze in the after-hours clinic, and when I got to the ER, the blood was so backed up in my sinuses, that blood was coming out of my tear ducts. It finally stopped on its own. They gave me a nice clamp to use in the ER, and I have used it on two nosebleeds since I got home with success.

Comment from: ANN, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 30

My son has been experiencing nosebleed at around 1 and 2 am for 2 days in a row. But it takes only a second then it stops. He had a fever in the last 2 days, but today he doesn't have a fever but still he experienced nosebleed.

Comment from: Sunny, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

Have you heard of vonWillebrand's Disease? One out of every 100 people have it, many people live their whole lives without being diagnosed. Symptoms are prolonged nosebleeds, periods lasting longer than 7 days, heavy periods (change pad or tampon in 2 hours or less and or heavy or large clots) easy bruising. There is treatment. Call the Hemophilia Treatment Center closest to you for more information. Knowing I have vonWillebrands Disease saved my life during surgery and my bleeding is now very controlled. Great relief!

Comment from: mcbecker, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 16

I have been having nosebleeds on and off over the past few weeks. I haven't found anything environmental causing them, though most frequently they begin while I am sleeping. I suffer from postnasal drip, so I wake to find that I am choking on blood. I spit it out and then the blood begins to pour down my face, usually coming from the left nostril. This usually lasts for about 10 minutes or so. I don't pick my nose and am not experiencing any cold or flu symptoms. The only peculiar things I have recognized are the increased amount of phlegm I've been spitting out lately and a horrible headache that wasn't treatable by Tylenol, Aleve, or caffeine today. The headache focused itself mainly on the left side of my temple today.

Nosebleed - Causes Question: What was the cause of your nosebleed?
Nosebleed - Prevention Question: If you've had a nosebleed, what do you do to prevent another one from occurring?
Nosebleed - Stop Question: What do you do to stop a nosebleed?