Patient Comments: Nosebleed - Length Symptoms Lasted

Question:How long did the symptoms of your nosebleed last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?

Comment from: ANN, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 30

My son has been experiencing nosebleed at around 1 and 2 am for 2 days in a row. But it takes only a second then it stops. He had a fever in the last 2 days, but today he doesn't have a fever but still he experienced nosebleed.

Comment from: Sunny, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

Have you heard of vonWillebrand's Disease? One out of every 100 people have it, many people live their whole lives without being diagnosed. Symptoms are prolonged nosebleeds, periods lasting longer than 7 days, heavy periods (change pad or tampon in 2 hours or less and or heavy or large clots) easy bruising. There is treatment. Call the Hemophilia Treatment Center closest to you for more information. Knowing I have vonWillebrands Disease saved my life during surgery and my bleeding is now very controlled. Great relief!

Comment from: mcbecker, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 16

I have been having nosebleeds on and off over the past few weeks. I haven't found anything environmental causing them, though most frequently they begin while I am sleeping. I suffer from postnasal drip, so I wake to find that I am choking on blood. I spit it out and then the blood begins to pour down my face, usually coming from the left nostril. This usually lasts for about 10 minutes or so. I don't pick my nose and am not experiencing any cold or flu symptoms. The only peculiar things I have recognized are the increased amount of phlegm I've been spitting out lately and a horrible headache that wasn't treatable by Tylenol, Aleve, or caffeine today. The headache focused itself mainly on the left side of my temple today.

Comment from: Bob, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 29

I got three good nosebleeds before my wife talked me into going to the ER. They last about two hours. The doctor sprayed Afrin in the nose and gave me a nose clip that was good for about two hours. I got home and was able to stop the bleeding after two hours again. I always have one or two glasses of red wine. I went to a party and had two glasses. Yes, my nose started to bleed three hours later. So now, I reduced anything that can thin my blood. So far, so good.

Comment from: Forbidden09, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: November 29

I have had problems with bloody noses since I was a little kid, and just recently, it has been getting way worse. I have been getting three in one day after putting Vaseline in my nose after each nosebleed. Also, along with more bloody noses, they have gotten longer in bleeding time as well. Another thing that has picked up all of a sudden is that I feel light-headed afterwards. When walking down stairs, my legs feel as if they are going to give out. I also have a problem with migraine headaches.

Comment from: 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: November 29

I've been having nosebleeds for the past few days. Now and every time the bleeding occurs, I tilt my head forward a little and let the blood drip out on its own. It stops and clots up by itself. It takes about 10 to 15 minutes. That's the only way I found to not swallow the blood. I'm also going to try using Afrin.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 29

I recently had two nosebleeds within several hours of each other for the first time since I was 12, which was 15 years ago. My stress level and blood pressure were sky high, not to mention I hadn't slept more than three hours in the past two days or eaten more than one small meal each of those days. I found out that people with high acidic levels in their stomach may notice a considerable increase in their blood pressure, especially at night when they go to bed, which can cause nosebleeds.

Comment from: cuzajd, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 13

My 4-year-old daughter has food allergies and asthma. It seems we have the asthma under control, but recently she has been experiencing nose bleeds. It occurs during the day and at night. She has recently started preschool, which is the only environment change she has experience lately. I don't know what I should do to help prevent the nose bleeds other then using a moist Q-tip to keep her nasal passage moist, yet this is not an easy task with a 4-year-old. The last time we used a nasal spray she got pneumonia and was in the hospital for a week. I am not sure it was related, but since then, I do not want to use a nasal spray. It just seemed as though it drained everything right into her lungs instantly.

Nosebleed - Causes Question: What was the cause of your nosebleed?
Nosebleed - Prevention Question: If you've had a nosebleed, what do you do to prevent another one from occurring?
Nosebleed - Stop Question: What do you do to stop a nosebleed?