Patient Comments: Nosebleed - Length Symptoms Lasted

Question:How long did the symptoms of your nosebleed last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?

Comment from: CrystJajji, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 23

Lately I have nose bleeds. It's like 3 to 4 times a day but not a heavy bleed and it is now occurring for 2 months and I am also experiencing headaches and a slight high temperature. I'm working in a graveyard shift but I'm taking ferrous sulfate and other vitamins to make me stay healthy.

Comment from: dlebow1, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 07

I am a male turning 66 next month. I really never had this issue previously, though I did have a broken nose when I was around 18. About maybe 2 plus years ago, I started having infrequent nosebleeds. I went to emergency room once where they instructed me to pinch my nose, tilt my head forward and allow it to bleed. It stopped in about an hour. I went to an ENT and he chemically cauterized the bleeder and the nosebleeds stopped. He mentioned I had a deviated septum and advised keeping my nose moist with saline spray, which I did and do, and to utilize Afrin when I felt irritation or had bleeding. After a short period of time I started having additional infrequent nosebleeds, once every couple weeks, which would last 20 to 30 minutes. I would stand near a sink and pinch my nose and they would stop. The episodes were very disconcerting. I would visit my ENT and he would typically chemically zap what he thought was a bleeding blood vessel. His examinations with his scope reiterated I had a deviated septum which caused extreme dryness of my right side nasal passage. I utilized Ocean Spray multiple times a day. At this point, he suggested I insert a wad of a cotton ball soaked in Afrin when the nosebleeds occurred. They were starting to be more frequent, randomly or after sneezing. This seems to control the bleeding and shortens their duration as they press on the blood vessels. I typically leave them in for 20 to 40 minutes depending on the severity of the nose bleed and when the blood dripping through the cotton ball stops. When the cotton plug is extracted there is typically a large clot of blood that also follows the cotton. Over the last 2 months I have probably had 25 plus episodes. The ENT has placed this light packing in a couple of areas in my right nostril and we have scheduled a septoplasty procedure for next week to repair my deviated septum. He is confident it should alleviate the frequent nosebleed as the deviation makes them extremely dry and it is impossible to treat the blood vessels affected. I will post the post-operation results but I sure hope he is correct. There is nothing good about trying to conduct a normal life when you never know when your nose is going to explode.

Comment from: MM, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 12

My nose bleeds almost daily and has for as long as I can remember. I am posting for others so maybe they can better understand their issue, if it is anything like mine. I do believe there are many contributing factors, non-seasonal, yearly allergies, living in a dry climate, and broken nose that had to be re-broken which removed more bone/cartilage, thinning the inner lining of my nostrils. I also have asthma. That has no direct relation to the cause of the nosebleeds; however, allergies turn into post-nasal drip, which in turn causes asthma (all nose-throat-ear-lung issues). I try and keep my nose dry and take an antihistamine almost daily. I cannot stand moisture in my nostrils and that is pretty much due to the re-breaking of my nose (the whole healing process). So, if you have issues with using an ointment or saline spray (like I do), use a humidifier at home. I have low blood pressure on top of Raynaud's syndrome. My hands, feet and tip of my nose are usually always cold. I am sure that helps my nose not full on drip blood every day, however, it still has blood in there just about every day. Recently, I have been taking ibuprofen for a foot injury and today, one nostril just started bleeding out of nowhere! I thought, ok! It didn't last long and I haven't had nosebleeds like that often. A doctor did confirm however, that when they re-broke my nose, they can tell some damage was done to the inner walls of my nostrils which are part of the reason. Anyway, saline spray and a humidifier seem to help. Staying well hydrated as well!

Comment from: SuzyQ, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I have been getting nosebleeds for the last two years, mostly in the fall and winter. I drink a packet of Emergen C in a glass of water and it usually helps stop them. I also pinch my nose and use some Vaseline. I think recently some of the nose bleeds may be from stress.

Comment from: jimbo, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: February 10

I tried packing my nose with cotton balls coated with Vaseline; this did not work. I then pinched my nostrils together for about 15 minutes and lo and behold, it stopped!

Comment from: Milind, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 26

My 6 year old son has periodic nose bleeds in the middle of the night which happens in summer as well as winter. I assume it is because of his nasal passages drying out. This night he woke up with blood on his face and a lot of blood on his pillow and some drops on the bed. This happens when he plays a lot. I consulted a general physician and he advised us to visit a specialist.

Comment from: G1A, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

My nose has been bleeding for 4 months already, it usually happens when I wake up. It started when I was taking 1 gm of pantothenic acid a day and 250 mg of glutathione. I went to ENT doctor but until now I haven't find the answer for my problem. Biopsy was done and it was benign.

Nosebleed - Causes Question: What was the cause of your nosebleed?
Nosebleed - Prevention Question: If you've had a nosebleed, what do you do to prevent another one from occurring?
Nosebleed - Stop Question: What do you do to stop a nosebleed?