Patient Comments: Nosebleed - Length Symptoms Lasted

Question:How long did the symptoms of your nosebleed last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?

Comment from: Bob, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 29

I got three good nosebleeds before my wife talked me into going to the ER. They last about two hours. The doctor sprayed Afrin in the nose and gave me a nose clip that was good for about two hours. I got home and was able to stop the bleeding after two hours again. I always have one or two glasses of red wine. I went to a party and had two glasses. Yes, my nose started to bleed three hours later. So now, I reduced anything that can thin my blood. So far, so good.

Comment from: Forbidden09, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: November 29

I have had problems with bloody noses since I was a little kid, and just recently, it has been getting way worse. I have been getting three in one day after putting Vaseline in my nose after each nosebleed. Also, along with more bloody noses, they have gotten longer in bleeding time as well. Another thing that has picked up all of a sudden is that I feel light-headed afterwards. When walking down stairs, my legs feel as if they are going to give out. I also have a problem with migraine headaches.

Comment from: 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: November 29

I've been having nosebleeds for the past few days. Now and every time the bleeding occurs, I tilt my head forward a little and let the blood drip out on its own. It stops and clots up by itself. It takes about 10 to 15 minutes. That's the only way I found to not swallow the blood. I'm also going to try using Afrin.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 29

I recently had two nosebleeds within several hours of each other for the first time since I was 12, which was 15 years ago. My stress level and blood pressure were sky high, not to mention I hadn't slept more than three hours in the past two days or eaten more than one small meal each of those days. I found out that people with high acidic levels in their stomach may notice a considerable increase in their blood pressure, especially at night when they go to bed, which can cause nosebleeds.

Comment from: cuzajd, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 13

My 4-year-old daughter has food allergies and asthma. It seems we have the asthma under control, but recently she has been experiencing nose bleeds. It occurs during the day and at night. She has recently started preschool, which is the only environment change she has experience lately. I don't know what I should do to help prevent the nose bleeds other then using a moist Q-tip to keep her nasal passage moist, yet this is not an easy task with a 4-year-old. The last time we used a nasal spray she got pneumonia and was in the hospital for a week. I am not sure it was related, but since then, I do not want to use a nasal spray. It just seemed as though it drained everything right into her lungs instantly.

Comment from: Mike, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 30

My nosebleed lasted on and off for an hour and a half. I found your website after trying with ice in a cloth, holding my head back and sitting down did not work. I've had them worse in terms of the amount of blood but this one lasted the longest. Perhaps because I had a chore to do. Your suggestion to hold my nose between my thumb and finger for five minutes while sitting down helped. I did it a second time to make sure it would stop and so far it has. I live in the high desert where it is dry and still warm for this time of year. From time to time I try to remember to use a nasal spray, one that is an OTC saline solution to keep my nasal passages moist.

Published: July 22

My 3yr old began having nosebleeds about once every 3-4 months. Recently that pattern has changed and he's had 3 in 1 week. My brother has nose bleeds as a child and so does one of his kids. Why are most of his nose bleeds at night during his sleep?

Published: June 25

My nose has been bleeding every day for the past three weeks when I wake up in Arizona and the air conditioner is on. Then it seems to dry up for most of the day with a little dry blood left over to blow out. I have taken aspirin a couple days for preventative heart issues but now I won't do that after reading aspirin isn't a good idea with a bloody nose.

Published: June 10

Two years ago, I awoke with blood gushing from my nose, ended up at hospital. Dr., cauterized and packed my nose. I had to stay a week. Now, I have had 2 episodes this week but not so bad. I bought an apparatus at drug store to squeeze my nose together. I sneezed today and it began again. I have arthritis, 82 years old and use humidifier in winter. Wonder if air conditioner is drying my nose in addition to headache medicine?

Nosebleed - Causes Question: What was the cause of your nosebleed?
Nosebleed - Prevention Question: If you've had a nosebleed, what do you do to prevent another one from occurring?
Nosebleed - Stop Question: What do you do to stop a nosebleed?