Patient Comments: Norovirus Infection - Symptoms

What were the symptoms associated with a norovirus infection in you or someone you know?

Comment from: John, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: May 21

I just came from a cruise that ran from Saturday to Saturday. On Wednesday while on the cruise I felt very tired and went to lie down. The next time I woke, I went to the bathroom and had watery stools, chills, more fatigue and didn't felt like eating. Symptoms of norovirus infection continued for the rest of the trip. Finally I got back on land the Saturday, and I threw up once after eating a decent meal. I took Pepto-Bismol and it worked for the day and the next day I went back to the same symptoms. Today is Monday and I feel better but still tired and having watery stool. The main key is to keep yourself hydrated with water, sports drinks (Gatorade or Powerade) or over the counter rehydration liquids and eat to give the body the needed nutrients. If problem is extreme please seek medical advice.

Comment from: Curly, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I believe I contracted norovirus at a local restaurant, on Saturday. Sunday night I had a stomachache. At about 11:00 PM, I threw up violently and continued to throw up until there was nothing left. Unfortunately, I had the runs at the same time, which was quite exasperating. I also had the onset of body aches, joint pain, fatigue and chills. I tried to keep my fluids up, as that is what seems to be advised to prevent dehydration. My husband got me Pedialyte, juice and more bleach cleaner, first thing in the morning. Now it is Tuesday, and I had my first solid food a banana. I am sticking to the BRAT diet - bananas, rice, applesauce and toast with some crackers and chicken broth thrown in. I also plan to take some probiotic yogurt and kefir later in the week. I don't think I have ever been this sick; my condolences if you contract this bug!

Comment from: Deborah, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

Here is the precursor of the norovirus infection: when I went to bed, I couldn't understand why I had this horrible taste in my mouth. I had brushed my teeth only shortly before. In the morning the bad taste was back, soon to be followed by vomiting. I had horrible pain in my stomach, almost unbearable pain and aches in muscles throughout my body, fever, headache, neck ache, and loss of balance. I was afraid to eat or drink anything, finally swallowed some ginger ale, and much later, some saltine crackers. Best treatment was some medicine that I bought in Canada, aspirin, and methocarbamol (Robaxin). I thought I was dying, and a couple of pills saved me.

Comment from: farmhouse, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 02

I had dinner at one of my favorite restaurants, went home, and had a glass of wine. I woke at 3:00 AM feeling a bit cold with a queasy stomach. Within an hour started vomiting and diarrhea. It was constant all the next day. When I've had past stomach bugs vomiting generally gave some temporary relief. Not so with this norovirus bug. It was horrible. By day two the vomiting subsided but I still felt sick with bloated stomach and could hardly breathe because my ribs were so sore from vomiting. Finally, on day three I've had some relief. The relief started with stomach and intestinal 'gurgling' which seemed to indicate my digestive tract was trying to regain some normalcy.

Comment from: WD, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

Norovirus infection is by far the worst virus infection I've had. I hadn't been sick for at least 7 years and then I got it real bad. It started when I woke up at 9 am. I felt incredibly sick but was so exhausted I managed to fall asleep again until about 11 am. And that's where all hell was unleashed. I decided to make a trip to the bathroom, almost passed out, had the worst hot/cold sweats and ended up having to just lay down on the cool bathroom floor. This happened for the next 4 times I went to the toilet, with severe diarrhea. Finally I accepted that I was going to be sick and felt a bit better. Since then I've been sick a total of 3 times, quite a considerable amount, and feel so weak and sleepy. So far I've had this bug for about 8 hours, I'm beginning to feel slightly better although still sick and unable to consume anything. If you hear someone has this, run for your life and avoid them at all costs as it's incredibly unpleasant.

Comment from: Betty, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

My symptoms of norovirus infection were stomach cramps, vomiting, and diarrhea.

Norovirus Infection - Treatment Question: What was the treatment, including home care, for your norovirus infection?