Patient Comments: Norovirus Infection - Symptoms

What were the symptoms associated with a norovirus infection in you or someone you know?

Comment from: FenelonPaul, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 26

It started Saturday night (now Monday). I went to bed fine but woke up at night with extremely bad stomach cramps. I tried to pass it on the toilet, and after a few normal poops, it was like Niagara Falls. I broke out into an extreme sweat, and fell to the floor. I tried to vomit, but nothing came out just those wet secretions that normally precede a vomit. At first, I suspected food poisoning, but it is lasting too long. I now suspect norovirus. I haven"t been able to eat since it started. I still have the runs and bad cramps and when I am not, I am sleeping - day and night. So tired! I had the wife pick me up some Gravol and Gatorade - hopefully that will help.

Comment from: Chad, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: March 20

This norovirus bug spreads so easily. I thought I was in the clear as all of my family had gotten it. I went to bed shortly after dinner and felt ok. Around 3 or 4 am I woke up with extreme nausea and sweating. I sat on the toilet and out came tons of liquids and then over I went vomiting and diarrhea at the same time. It was the most intense illness of my life. I remember calling my mom crying I was so sick. I lay in bed for 3 days with no energy and drank Sierra Mist and ate light food. It was hard to keep anything down. It was so awful.

Comment from: cw, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

Norovirus is terrible! I went to bed on Saturday night around 11 pm. I woke up at 3 am sick on stomach. By 5 am I was throwing up, then came the severe diarrhea. It was unreal; felt like my stomach was being twisted in knots. I had severe pain! I also had a headache, felt cold... hot then freezing. Then I had a fever. Not that I am proud of this but I had to throw away 2 pair of pajamas. I couldn"t help it nor control it. By Sunday night my body hurt all over, my legs felt broke I was in so much pain. It"s now Monday night, I finally kept something down but I am weak and sore and feel so tired.

Comment from: James, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 18

I started with queasy stomach on Friday afternoon. (I went to a potluck lunch on Thursday). Friday evening I got chilled and couldn"t get warm. I went to bed and had my lady put a bucket by my side of the bed. Two trips to the john later, I had her bring it to me in the bathroom. Nasty stuff, this bug. It is now Sunday; after starting with plain water, I have worked through the BRAT diet and even had eggs (no grease - fried on stick proof pan) on my toast for dinner. Although my stomach seems to have settled, every abdominal muscle and rib is sore from the explosive evacuation by the gastrointestinal tract from both ends. And I seem to have a bit of laryngitis from the vomiting. I may or may not go back to work on Monday, but no more potluck meals for me.

Comment from: Sick12, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 07

I woke up feeling sick then suddenly violently started throwing up. I had terrible stomach cramps and horrendous diarrhea. I have just started a new job and had to call out which is terrible to call out my first week. This was literally the worst 24 hours of my life it was very painful experience. I would never wish this on my worst enemy. I threw up at least 20 times within 15 hours. By the next day I felt much better, not 100% better but better. The only good thing I can say about norovirus is that it's a short affliction but during the heart of it I thought I was going to die. Also drinking liquid seemed to help me feel better even though you don"t want to try and drink some fluids.

Comment from: angie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I started being sick this morning with stomach pain and vomiting. I can't hold anything down, I just throw it up. Now in the evening I'm tired, my body aches and I'm starting to get a fever.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 06

I started shivering last Monday afternoon - then got really hot and sweaty. This alternated throughout the night and by the next lunchtime I was nauseous and shaking uncontrollably. I was sent home from work but this was just the beginning. Tuesday night the diarrhea began. They say to sip water in between - all I could do was collapse in between. All the time I felt sick but wasn't. By Thursday evening I rang the doctor for advice. I felt dizzy like I'd pass out, sick and still had diarrhea. The doctor said I had signs of dehydration and to get some fluids down me. So they sent out for some Dioralyte. Well, I thought it couldn't get worse. It was like turning tap on full blast. I was back to normal water. Saturday the vomiting began - masses of green liquid; and still the diarrhea but at the same time. My poor daughter had to hold me on the toilet as it felt like I was going in and out. I've had bugs before - nasty ones - but this norovirus! It's now Tuesday and I'm meant to be at work on Thursday but I'm totally exhausted and want to sleep all the time. No energy and if I try I still feel dizzy and sick. I just want to feel normal again!

Norovirus Infection - Treatment Question: What was the treatment, including home care, for your norovirus infection?