Patient Comments: Norovirus Infection - Symptoms

What were the symptoms associated with a norovirus infection in you or someone you know?

Comment from: Hoofrx, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

My daughter and I are both sick and became ill within a couple hours of one another. We believe we got the norovirus infection at a sushi restaurant where we had lunch 2 days ago. I had watery diarrhea within 12 hours of eating, along with bloating and decreased appetite. Mild nausea last night kept me from eating dinner, thank goodness, because I was up vomiting and gushing diarrhea all night and half of today. Daughter is super sick, too. Symptoms include bad headache, stomach cramps and pain, hot-cold--freezing-sweating and, horrible body aches, and fever. I"ve been sleeping with ear plugs when not running for the bathroom, the headache is so bad. I finally managed to keep water down so took Advil for my aching head and body... this helped tremendously! I also ate a few bites of banana, hope it stays down. I"m wiping everything in the bathroom with bleach every time I go in. Hope nobody else gets infected. Need to go... literally! Good luck with this horrible illness!

Comment from: Karen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

We were all fine Sunday and our daughter was out of town. At 2 am hubby woke up violently ill liquid diarrhea and vomiting for the next 24 hours, body aches, headache, cramps. Daughter came home at 10 am Monday, by Tuesday afternoon she had the same symptoms. I began eating cultured vegetables and took some vitamin D spray. For Last 24 hours I had many of the symptoms above and could not eat. Dry heaves cramps, headache body aches fever. Just starting to eat.

Comment from: Btlit13, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I started this norovirus infection on Monday. I was grilling burgers and the smell made me so nauseous. I ran upstairs and had diarrhea for like, 10 minutes straight. I felt like I was going to pass out, which caused a bad anxiety attack. I drank water and a little juice for about an hour and then called my dad to bring me to the hospital. I was very dehydrated; they gave me fluid and sent me on my way. Now it"s Saturday and I"ve had diarrhea on and off all week along with chills, dizziness, extreme fatigue, nausea, burping (and I NEVER burp), cold sweats and a sensation of passing out. It is horrific. I really hope it doesn"t get worse and that it"s on its way out. I couldn"t take anymore.

Comment from: FenelonPaul, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 26

It started Saturday night (now Monday). I went to bed fine but woke up at night with extremely bad stomach cramps. I tried to pass it on the toilet, and after a few normal poops, it was like Niagara Falls. I broke out into an extreme sweat, and fell to the floor. I tried to vomit, but nothing came out just those wet secretions that normally precede a vomit. At first, I suspected food poisoning, but it is lasting too long. I now suspect norovirus. I haven"t been able to eat since it started. I still have the runs and bad cramps and when I am not, I am sleeping - day and night. So tired! I had the wife pick me up some Gravol and Gatorade - hopefully that will help.

Comment from: Chad, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: March 20

This norovirus bug spreads so easily. I thought I was in the clear as all of my family had gotten it. I went to bed shortly after dinner and felt ok. Around 3 or 4 am I woke up with extreme nausea and sweating. I sat on the toilet and out came tons of liquids and then over I went vomiting and diarrhea at the same time. It was the most intense illness of my life. I remember calling my mom crying I was so sick. I lay in bed for 3 days with no energy and drank Sierra Mist and ate light food. It was hard to keep anything down. It was so awful.

Comment from: Donna, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

This is the fourth day since getting a norovirus infection. My husband is weak still, with nauseous cramps and diarrhea. It took my husband 4 days to feel better. He is better but still feels weak.

Norovirus Infection - Treatment Question: What was the treatment, including home care, for your norovirus infection?