Patient Comments: Norovirus Infection - Symptoms

What were the symptoms associated with a norovirus infection in you or someone you know?

Comment from: Lake Girl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 25

I had a large, painful ganglion cyst removed from my right wrist when I was 25. Recovery was approximately 3 weeks. The cyst never returned. I had a golf ball-sized ganglion cyst removed from my right ankle three weeks ago and am shocked at how long the recovery is taking. Based on my pre-surgery appointments, I thought I would be back on my feet (literally) by now but I'll be lucky to be walking without crutches in another 10 to 14 days. I am now on antibiotics to help relieve the hematoma that formed. I hope I am lucky as lucky as I was with my wrist. If you decide to have surgery, be prepared for a long recovery.

Comment from: Jersey, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 04

I was visiting with friends, no signs or warning of the norovirus infection, just sudden severe pains in upper stomach region, loss of color, and feeling totally weak. I slept for several hours. No other pain, I was just very weak and cold. And then I had diarrhea for hours, through the night, lasting day and more. I am drinking water and eating small amounts banana and toast. Feel so weak and weary.

Comment from: Sydney, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

Wow, where to begin! I woke up on a Thursday with severe diarrhea, went to work and started feeling very dizzy and nauseous so I left work early. I slept for about 8 hours only to wake up and have more diarrhea and vomit green puke for about 10 minutes straight. I couldn't control the diarrhea, it was literally like I was urinating out of there. I went to the doctor and again started feeling dizzy and ended up puking again. I ended up puking so much throughout the day that I ruptured something in my stomach and started puking up blood. The diarrhea has been going on for 4 days and I feel dehydrated and exhausted, sleeping almost 15 hours of the day. I am pretty sure I picked this norovirus infection up at my doctor's office after going for an unrelated issue the day before.

Comment from: shamrock, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 02

I am just home after 5 days in hospital. My illness started last week. I cooked dinner for family, went to bed, woke up at midnight with violent vomiting. I tried getting to the bathroom and ended up on the floor while my bowel emptied itself everywhere. After 6 hours of hurling, heaving and heavy diarrhea, I called 911 and ended in the emergency room for the day while multiple tests were run. I was admitted and this continued, finally norovirus became the prime suspect. I had IV fluids for 4 days, morphine for abdominal pain, etc. Now I am home on the BRAT diet and constant hydration with Pedialyte and ginger ale. This is the worst thing I have ever gone through, even worse than chemotherapy! I now have been told that the virus is rampant in my area and in most of the school systems and colleges. This is one nasty bug! And, don't be fooled by feeling better, this lingers even after it seems to have left you!

Comment from: SoSick, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 23

Norovirus infection passed through my daughter's family (four kids). Two days after the last case (too soon, as I now know it's contagious for at least three days after symptoms), the healthy-appearing kids came to stay with me for a couple of days. They left on Friday morning. At 6 pm Friday, I felt that something wasn't right. I seemed to have excess saliva and had to do a lot of extra swallowing. I went to the bathroom and had a sudden urge to forcefully vomit. Almost immediately, I also suffered several episodes of diarrhea. About an hour later, I attempted to slowly drink a flat soda. Thirty minutes later, it came up. For the next 36 hours, I pretty much slept. I sucked on ice chips, but no food or drink. My entire core was sore like I had done too many sit-ups, but I also ached in specific locations like a hip where I've had bone loss and a shoulder that had once been frozen. Chills, but no fever. My husband piled on the blankets and helped me change positions periodically when I was literally too weak to sit up by myself. Sunday morning, I seemed to be done with everything except the shoulder pain, which had intensified, and the chills. I forced myself to eat a couple spoonsful of chicken soup just to have something on my stomach when I took an Aleve. I slept to an additional four hours and awoke drenched in sweat, but pain-free. I've subsequently had a normal bowel movement and feel pretty good except for overall weakness.

Norovirus Infection - Treatment Question: What was the treatment, including home care, for your norovirus infection?