Patient Comments: Norovirus Infection - Symptoms

What were the symptoms associated with a norovirus infection in you or someone you know?

Comment from: Nelliebly, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I started feeling queasy on Wednesday morning. The nausea increased hour by hour. By 2 pm, I was in the ladies' room at work with explosive diarrhea and dry heaving that I couldn't control. Very loud! Embarrassing. I finished out the day, as it is a new job and I didn't want to seem like a bad worker. I went home and right to bed at 4:30 and except for getting up a half dozen times to violently retch (no vomit came up) and for explosive watery diarrhea, I slept until 5:30 am. I found diarrhea tracks from my bedroom to the bathroom the next day. Did I mention the body aches! I could barely lift my arms. Turning over in bed was excruciating! Next day (today) nausea subsided some, but is still there. I still have diarrhea. I went to work, but was so achy and tired (fell asleep on my desk), I needed to leave by noontime. It is 6 pm and about 30 hours since this norovirus infection began. I still can't leave the couch. I have to go to work tomorrow! I will try Advil for the body aches. I am drinking tons of water. What a horrible virus!

Comment from: Cat Herder, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

Oh boy! The symptoms of norovirus infection started at 3:30 am today with severe diarrhea, abdominal cramps, and aching joints. Started with nausea and vomiting 2 hours later. Fatigue and body aches are constant along with headache. I am also freezing, always shivering, and cannot get warm (flannel pajamas, 2 pairs of socks, winter robe, and two quilts). Weak tea and toast would not stay down. I have been sipping ginger ale and water, and nibbling on saltines. I have fever of 102.5. In the middle of a blizzard, no less.

Comment from: Assistant2017, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

Fatigue, headache, body aches, abdominal pain and loose stools hit on Sunday afternoon. Watered down sugar-free ginger ale and Gatorade got me through, but nausea and loss of appetite were brutal. I was diagnosed with this norovirus infection by my doctor on Wednesday; was prescribed ondansetron to manage the nausea. I am sticking with bananas and applesauce; when I tried 1/2 cup of rice, a slice of toast, and a few saltines over three separate days, I had searing stomach pain for 15 hours. Sleeping when I need to; I hope to be well enough for work on Monday after a miserable week of this nasty virus.

Comment from: Lake Girl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 25

I had a large, painful ganglion cyst removed from my right wrist when I was 25. Recovery was approximately 3 weeks. The cyst never returned. I had a golf ball-sized ganglion cyst removed from my right ankle three weeks ago and am shocked at how long the recovery is taking. Based on my pre-surgery appointments, I thought I would be back on my feet (literally) by now but I'll be lucky to be walking without crutches in another 10 to 14 days. I am now on antibiotics to help relieve the hematoma that formed. I hope I am lucky as lucky as I was with my wrist. If you decide to have surgery, be prepared for a long recovery.

Comment from: Jersey, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 04

I was visiting with friends, no signs or warning of the norovirus infection, just sudden severe pains in upper stomach region, loss of color, and feeling totally weak. I slept for several hours. No other pain, I was just very weak and cold. And then I had diarrhea for hours, through the night, lasting day and more. I am drinking water and eating small amounts banana and toast. Feel so weak and weary.

Norovirus Infection - Treatment Question: What was the treatment, including home care, for your norovirus infection?