Patient Comments: Norovirus Infection - Symptoms

What were the symptoms associated with a norovirus infection in you or someone you know?

Comment from: sickinmich, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 17

I suffer from acid reflux so I assumed my medication was not working and took some antacids. When after a couple hours they were not working I took some anti-gas med. The excessive gas I was experiencing was terrible. I could not lie down, and was developing a severe headache. The vomiting started soon after. Up to and through most of the worst hours I did not have diarrhea, but had terrible cramps. I was craving cold liquids and would visualize tall glasses of ice water. I finally broke and started drinking ice water which didn't help with the nausea, but helped the vomiting. I felt like I had pulled every muscle in my back and abdomen. After about 24 hours I was able to keep a small amount of banana and some Motrin down. The Motrin helped the headache but not the sore muscles. I switched from water to a punch mix which seem to ease my symptoms a bit. In my third day I'm feeling much better but I hurt everywhere.

Comment from: Tomas, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: December 30

I started feeling nauseous on Saturday night. By Sunday morning I had severe diarrhea, aching all over, severe headache and vomiting. These symptoms have continued for three days. It is Tuesday night, Christmas Eve, and I am still having the same symptoms. I also have fever and chills and severe abdominal pain. I have lost 16 pounds in three days and it is still not over. I have never felt so sick.

Comment from: M Wilson, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I was watching TV and had a feeling of intense gas. After chewing a few Rolaids then taking a few Gasex, my stomach still felt bloated. I tried glasses of warm water and still no relief. In fact the pain became more intense as if my whole middle was filling more and more with gas. It became hard to breath and I was having cold sweats. I couldn't stand up to walk but I couldn't sit still. I semi-crawled to the bathroom and nothing happened. After about an hour I tried going to the bathroom again and diarrhea came along with vomiting. A little relief came for about 15 minutes then the pain returned. I passed out after that. The next morning my doctor said by me taking the Rolaids and the Gasex and drinking all the warm water, I actually saved myself from major dehydration. Norovirus is horrible, simply horrible and very painful. It took about a week before my ribs felt like they weren't being stretched out of place.

Comment from: TOOT TOOT, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: February 03

The symptoms of norovirus infection were sudden retching/vomiting several times and hours later some diarrhea for about an hour; also fatigue.

Comment from: Toy Yoda, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 21

I was diagnosed with a Norovirus infection in late September 2012 while I was out of town visiting friends for a few days. Thankfully, they are a physician and physician assistant. The vomiting and diarrhea were probably the most severe I had ever experienced. I had stomach cramps, fever, chills, sweats, and a headache, among other symptoms. The weakness and fatigue that I experienced were very severe. Even small sips of clear liquids (or small bites of a cracker) were immediately vomited back up. I was prescribed medicines to help control the vomiting and diarrhea. Even with the great around-the-clock medical care from my physician friends, I still came very close to being hospitalized to receive IV fluids.

Comment from: Hope, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

Six days ago I woke up at 4 in the morning with violent diarrhea that did not stop for 24 hours straight. I could not keep ANYHING down. Then I started vomiting all the fluids I had been drinking. I was sweating but had the chills. I became so weak my mom took me to ER where I was treated immediately for dehydration. My diagnosis dehydration from gastroentitis. Six days later and I am just as sick. I am not vomiting but the diarrhea is just as bad and the pain in my stomach is horrible!!!

Comment from: makeitgoaway, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

I asked my doctor if a person can one get the norovirus more than once. He said, yes. I am pretty sure I have had it three times now. I feel pretty certain, as my wife had the same symptoms. I never threw up and only had diarrhea maybe once. I did go to the bathroom a lot and had lots of cramping, bloating, nausea, burping, headache, fatigue, and so on. I had nausea for a few days, but the cramping was a week or longer. I lost nearly 10 pounds from eating far less. Where I live, it spread very rapidly. I take probiotic pills, so maybe that made my symptoms a bit easier. I still suffered from dehydration. I even had lower sodium levels. Regardless, I still do not feel 100 percent. I feel like my intestines are still in recovery mode. I amped-up my probiotics. What a nasty virus.

Norovirus Infection - Treatment Question: What was the treatment, including home care, for your norovirus infection?