Patient Comments: Norovirus Infection - Symptoms

What were the symptoms associated with a norovirus infection in you or someone you know?

Comment from: itwashorrible, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

My glass of wine tasted funny to me on Friday night, so I only drank one. This is very unlike me. I woke up at 4 am Saturday with really bad stomach/intestinal pains. I was drenched in cold sweat and had horrible diarrhea. I kept having to get up every half hour or so to poop more. By the afternoon, the diarrhea had stopped, but the nausea began. My whole body was aching and I had chills, but no fever. I was vomiting small amounts every few hours. By Monday morning, I felt better except for some weird gurgling in my stomach which I assumed was gas. By Monday afternoon, I was throwing up uncontrollably and had to go to the emergency room late that night for fluids and nausea medication. The nausea and vomiting were thankfully less severe on Tuesday, but lasted throughout Thursday, even with taking Zofran. Now it is Friday and I haven't puked, but I'm still tired and have some slight cramping and queasiness still. This was the worst thing I've ever had, ever.

Comment from: anonymous, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

The norovirus infection hit at three o' clock Saturday morning and even though the washroom was maybe fifteen feet from my bedroom, I ended up heaving and sad to say also pooped into my pyjama bottoms. I am not sure if anyone else is brave enough to say that, but I can bet that a lot of you that have gotten sick with this norovirus had it happen to you. It was the sickest I have ever been. I had chills, fever, stomach cramps beyond describing and severe headache. It's the second day, and even though the vomiting and trots have settled down, the fever and general malaise are still holding on. So my suggestion to all of you out there that haven't got this yet, keep a bucket handy in the bathroom because you will need it while you are sitting on your throne.

Comment from: catseyes, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I'm still recovering from this awful norovirus. I stayed at a friend's on Friday and we'd been drinking. I crashed on the sofa and woke around 3am with vomit in my mouth. I tried to stop it by putting my hand over my mouth but it was projectile and nothing was going to stop it. I couldn't believe I'd been sick and thought it was the alcohol, even though I haven't been sick from drinking for years. I immediately got up and cleaned it up as best I could but it had gone everywhere. I'd also had what I thought was heartburn on Thursday, I've never had it before. The next morning, still thinking I'd overdone the booze, I was mortified. I apologized to my friend but she wasn't happy. I left and returned home. Within an hour or so I was sick, then the diarrhea came. And it stayed until late the next day. I had stomach cramps, a fever, aches and pains - my wrists hurt the most of all things! I've never felt so unwell in my life. This was no hangover. It's now Tuesday and the diarrhea and vomiting have stopped but I'm exhausted. Changing the bed sheets required me to stop half way through and rest before finishing! I've quarantined myself so hopefully not passed it on. I have improved, but still can't eat. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

Comment from: sickinmich, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 17

I suffer from acid reflux so I assumed my medication was not working and took some antacids. When after a couple hours they were not working I took some anti-gas med. The excessive gas I was experiencing was terrible. I could not lie down, and was developing a severe headache. The vomiting started soon after. Up to and through most of the worst hours I did not have diarrhea, but had terrible cramps. I was craving cold liquids and would visualize tall glasses of ice water. I finally broke and started drinking ice water which didn't help with the nausea, but helped the vomiting. I felt like I had pulled every muscle in my back and abdomen. After about 24 hours I was able to keep a small amount of banana and some Motrin down. The Motrin helped the headache but not the sore muscles. I switched from water to a punch mix which seem to ease my symptoms a bit. In my third day I'm feeling much better but I hurt everywhere.

Comment from: Tomas, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: December 30

I started feeling nauseous on Saturday night. By Sunday morning I had severe diarrhea, aching all over, severe headache and vomiting. These symptoms have continued for three days. It is Tuesday night, Christmas Eve, and I am still having the same symptoms. I also have fever and chills and severe abdominal pain. I have lost 16 pounds in three days and it is still not over. I have never felt so sick.

Comment from: M Wilson, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I was watching TV and had a feeling of intense gas. After chewing a few Rolaids then taking a few Gasex, my stomach still felt bloated. I tried glasses of warm water and still no relief. In fact the pain became more intense as if my whole middle was filling more and more with gas. It became hard to breath and I was having cold sweats. I couldn't stand up to walk but I couldn't sit still. I semi-crawled to the bathroom and nothing happened. After about an hour I tried going to the bathroom again and diarrhea came along with vomiting. A little relief came for about 15 minutes then the pain returned. I passed out after that. The next morning my doctor said by me taking the Rolaids and the Gasex and drinking all the warm water, I actually saved myself from major dehydration. Norovirus is horrible, simply horrible and very painful. It took about a week before my ribs felt like they weren't being stretched out of place.

Norovirus Infection - Treatment Question: What was the treatment, including home care, for your norovirus infection?