Patient Comments: Norovirus Infection - Symptoms

What were the symptoms associated with a norovirus infection in you or someone you know?

Comment from: monique, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 04

I live in a remote area of Alaska and have been terribly ill for going on my 9th day. At one point I actually thought I was getting better and when a work colleague became ill I filled in for 3 days. Now I'm back in bed, still have diarrhea and vomiting with a low grade fever. I am cold one minute and hot the other and still cannot keep anything down, even the water I drink won't stay in me. At this point I have no signs of dehydration yet. I am sleeping a lot, my joints ache especially when the fever gets stronger. I have never been so ill. It surprises me that everything I have read on this stomach virus indicates norovirus infection lasts only a week. I am here to say it can hold on longer than a week.

Comment from: Sc, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 18

I started feeling sick Saturday late afternoon and had mild diarrhea and as I was flushing the toilet, suddenly threw up. I had chills all night and threw up a few more times. In the morning the next day I felt ok, but later in the day had worse diarrhea and some nausea and vomited twice. Monday, I again felt better in the morning, but was terribly nauseous and dizzy all afternoon. I had an episode of very violent vomiting in the bathroom, went home, and puked all evening until midnight. I attempted to work again Tuesday thinking it had to be over, but had to leave after 2 hours because I became so dizzy/nauseous. I threw up in the parking lot as I was leaving. I spent the whole day alternating sleeping and puking my guts out. I was throwing up anything I drank, slightly less horrible than the painful dry heaves I got when my stomach was empty. Since Wednesday, I've felt better, but still can't eat more than a couple of crackers all day. I tried chicken and noodles Wednesday night. Couple of hours later, I was sick 8 times in one hour, it was ridiculous. Yesterday I went to the doctor and they gave me Zofran, which helped. I was much less nauseous and only threw up once last night. The doctor said that the stomach flu has been really bad this year and it is lasting people about a week. It's Friday morning and I still don't feel normal, but I took Zofran and my hopes are high. I never want this norovirus again!

Comment from: Hoofrx, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

My daughter and I are both sick and became ill within a couple hours of one another. We believe we got the norovirus infection at a sushi restaurant where we had lunch 2 days ago. I had watery diarrhea within 12 hours of eating, along with bloating and decreased appetite. Mild nausea last night kept me from eating dinner, thank goodness, because I was up vomiting and gushing diarrhea all night and half of today. Daughter is super sick, too. Symptoms include bad headache, stomach cramps and pain, hot-cold--freezing-sweating and, horrible body aches, and fever. I"ve been sleeping with ear plugs when not running for the bathroom, the headache is so bad. I finally managed to keep water down so took Advil for my aching head and body... this helped tremendously! I also ate a few bites of banana, hope it stays down. I"m wiping everything in the bathroom with bleach every time I go in. Hope nobody else gets infected. Need to go... literally! Good luck with this horrible illness!

Comment from: Karen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

We were all fine Sunday and our daughter was out of town. At 2 am hubby woke up violently ill liquid diarrhea and vomiting for the next 24 hours, body aches, headache, cramps. Daughter came home at 10 am Monday, by Tuesday afternoon she had the same symptoms. I began eating cultured vegetables and took some vitamin D spray. For Last 24 hours I had many of the symptoms above and could not eat. Dry heaves cramps, headache body aches fever. Just starting to eat.

Comment from: Btlit13, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I started this norovirus infection on Monday. I was grilling burgers and the smell made me so nauseous. I ran upstairs and had diarrhea for like, 10 minutes straight. I felt like I was going to pass out, which caused a bad anxiety attack. I drank water and a little juice for about an hour and then called my dad to bring me to the hospital. I was very dehydrated; they gave me fluid and sent me on my way. Now it"s Saturday and I"ve had diarrhea on and off all week along with chills, dizziness, extreme fatigue, nausea, burping (and I NEVER burp), cold sweats and a sensation of passing out. It is horrific. I really hope it doesn"t get worse and that it"s on its way out. I couldn"t take anymore.

Comment from: FenelonPaul, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 26

It started Saturday night (now Monday). I went to bed fine but woke up at night with extremely bad stomach cramps. I tried to pass it on the toilet, and after a few normal poops, it was like Niagara Falls. I broke out into an extreme sweat, and fell to the floor. I tried to vomit, but nothing came out just those wet secretions that normally precede a vomit. At first, I suspected food poisoning, but it is lasting too long. I now suspect norovirus. I haven"t been able to eat since it started. I still have the runs and bad cramps and when I am not, I am sleeping - day and night. So tired! I had the wife pick me up some Gravol and Gatorade - hopefully that will help.

Norovirus Infection - Treatment Question: What was the treatment, including home care, for your norovirus infection?