Patient Comments: Norovirus Infection - Treatment

What was the treatment, including home care, for your norovirus infection?

Comment from: KLM, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I am in Northern California and norovirus has been increasing throughout the area, closing schools, etc. I started last Thursday feeling tired and a little nauseous. Friday I left for a ministry retreat to the ocean with friends and felt queasy. Friday night we had a Mexican Fiesta, but I stuck to a mild noodle soup. Saturday I still felt nauseous, aching, headache, ate a little more that day, but felt like I had reflux in my throat. I took Alka-Seltzer GI chews, but it did not help. Sunday we had a service outdoors and I felt a little better, but had burning in my throat/esophagus. I kept drinking seltzer water and ginger ale. Sunday night we had a barbeque of hot dogs, etc. Yes I ate, because I was hungry. Well, so sorry that I did. About 1:30 am Sunday/Monday I had explosive vomiting and diarrhea. I had this several times, plus the next morning. I was panicking because I had a 3 hour ride home. I knew ice chips are given to recovering patients in the hospital, so I made a bag of ice chips. I managed to get home on Monday and have not had any more vomiting or diarrhea, but as many have said, I had such sore muscles in the abdominal area and ribs. I am slowly increasing my diet of chicken soup, ginger ale, ice, etc. The nurse said this could last for a while. I had to cancel working as I handle food and cannot take a chance of infecting others. Others said they feel drained (literally), tired, slight headache, but the more I rehydrate the head ache gets better. I have had food poisoning in the past and it did not last longer than a day. Hope everyone gets better soon.

Comment from: Freebird 70, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 02

I had been out of town with my two older teens to pick up my youngest daughter and spend a weekend of fun with my kids. We stopped and ate dinner at a nice restaurant coming home that I frequent often. I was sleeping great and woke up at 4:30 am nauseated, dizzy and with urges to puke. I never did puke. Lots of dry heaving. Body aches and chills and dizziness took over. I eventually had diarrhea and more symptom to throw up although I really never did. Several hours later I went to get my young daughter some milk in kitchen and urges to puke hit me again. I tried to but still nothing and again diarrhea hit me instead. I was in so much abdominal pain. I am 3 days in since the norovirus infection and have eaten just fine but the aches and dizziness won't go away. Mouth is dry and yucky! I have never felt this poisoned my whole life. Weak, tired, achy, nauseated, dizzy and although not puking much, I had bad diarrhea. I want my life back! I have had Gatorades, water, soups, and trying to stay vertical some. I have to work and clients are expecting me. I have to get over this.

Comment from: Nathalie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

The absolute worst illness I've ever had. I had the flu over 25 years ago and norovirus was a million times worse. I contracted it during Thanksgiving, from my niece who had been ill and throwing up after daycare. Within 24 hours I noticed a terrible sharp pain in my stomach. Less than 24 hours later I was experiencing chills, fatigue and tightening pain in my stomach. Symptoms worsened within a few hours until all I could do is curl up in a ball and sleep. Sweating and body aches lasted throughout the following day with piercing abdominal pain, very swollen stomach and diarrhea. The final day was all throwing up and less diarrhea, but I was thankful to finally be feeling better! Ugh.

Comment from: Sickman, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 18

My norovirus infection started the first week of September and I still have it 10/13/2013. I have been in the Hospital five times for IV treatment and think it's time to go back again , I am still having trouble getting food or liquid down, the specialist sadly told me this could last 3 months. The good thing is every time I get the IV treatment the pain and sick feeling goes away but when I get home two days later it starts all over.

Norovirus Infection - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms associated with a norovirus infection in you or someone you know?