Patient Comments: Norovirus Infection - Treatment

What was the treatment, including home care, for your norovirus infection?

Comment from: Sickman, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 18

My norovirus infection started the first week of September and I still have it 10/13/2013. I have been in the Hospital five times for IV treatment and think it's time to go back again , I am still having trouble getting food or liquid down, the specialist sadly told me this could last 3 months. The good thing is every time I get the IV treatment the pain and sick feeling goes away but when I get home two days later it starts all over.

Comment from: noname, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: June 05

Originally, I ate one chocolate-covered strawberry, felt bad two hours later, and spent two hours that night on the toilet with dry heaves and light diarrhea. I also had, not cramps, but stomach pain. In 24 hours, all was well. However, one week later, I felt cruddy again, with all-day loose stools. My granddaughter, who lives with me, had the same symptoms. It took a week for her to recover. I'm on day 5 and feel much better, but am dizzy and weak. I've just crossed the barrier to hoping I can eat something substantial soon. The best treatments for me were Imodium, Donnatal, Tylenol, and popcorn. Drinking ginger ale before bedtime caused hours, literally, of heartburn, reflux, and burping. I'm thinking that I have had an attack of acute norovirus followed a week later by a relapse. Weird; no fun.

Comment from: JimJ51, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 15

Sunday, late afternoon, 01/12/14 I began feeling nauseated and dizzy. Shortly thereafter I began vomiting and had watery diarrhea. This continued throughout the evening and into the early morning hours of Monday (about 10-12 hours or so). I had severe cramping, dizziness, sweats and chills and felt like every pore in my body ached. Since mid-morning Monday the vomiting and diarrhea stopped but I've had almost no appetite and don't really want to think of food and today is Tuesday. I found hydration helped the most. Ice water made me feel the best and at times I just used ice chips letting them melt in my mouth. I lost 4 lbs overnight between Sunday and Monday. I got a flu shot this past November so I'm pretty sure this wasn't the flu. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Comment from: kathleen, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 09

I woke up with severe watery diarrhea, stomach cramps, and malaise. The diarrhea stopped for four days and then returned. Today is the fifth day of my symptoms and I have a lot of abdominal cramps.

Norovirus Infection - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms associated with a norovirus infection in you or someone you know?