- Uncomplicated urinary tract infection: Take 1 tablet (400 mg) by mouth every 12 hours for 3 days
- Complicated urinary tract infection: Take 1 tablet (400 mg) by mouth every 12 hours for 10 to 21 days.
- For infections caused by E. coli, K. pneumoniae, or P. mirabilis only. Take 1 tablet (400 mg) by mouth every 12 hours for 7 to 10 days, for infections caused by any other bacteria.
- Prostatitis: Take 1 tablet (400 mg) by mouth every 12 hours for 28 to 42 days.
- Gonorrhea: Take 2 tablets (800 mg) by mouth as one single dose.
Safe and effective use of norfloxacin is not established in patients under the age of 18 years.
Note that some organisms are resistant to norfloxacin; organisms should be tested for susceptibility to this drug.
DRUG INTERACTIONS: Norfloxacin should be used with caution with medications like caffeine, clozapine (Clozaril), ropinorole (Requip), cyclosporine (Neoral, Sandimmune, Gengraf), theophylline (Theo-24), and tizanidine (Zanaflex) because norfloxacin can slow down breakdown of these medications in and increase their levels in the body.
Norfloxacin should be separated from aluminum and magnesium containing antacids, sucralfate (Carafate), and multivitamins because they can lower absorption of norfloxacin and reduce its effectiveness. They should be administered 2 hours before norfloxacin.
Quick GuideInfectious Mononucleosis Pictures Slideshow
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Need help identifying pills and medications?
Use the pill identifier tool on RxList.