Patient Comments: Non-Hodgkins Lymphomas - Treatments

What treatments were effective for your non-Hodgkin's lymphoma?

Comment from: CoachKyle, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 04

In August of 2006 I was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma (ALCL). I was 18 years old and had just finished my first year of college. I had never even heard of this disease until the day I was diagnosed. I was feeling flu-like symptoms, extreme night sweats, fatigue, and had multiple swollen lymph nodes in my groin. I went through 6 rounds of CHOP chemotherapy and was declared in remission. However, 6 years later, it returned, this time in my neck area. I went forward with a new treatment called brentuximab followed by a stem-cell transplant. I am 2 years out of my transplant and so far, so good. Sometimes you just have to hope you are holding a better hand of cards than the cancer is. Hang in there.

Comment from: blessed, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 13

In Dec. 2001 I was diagnosed with NHL stage IV. I was in hospital 3 months, had several surgeries and CHOP. My bone marrow stopped producing after my 5th chemo so I was again hospitalized for blood transfusions. My bone marrow returned and I continued my 8 rounds of CHOP. I was then 55 years old. Now, 10 years later, I am a healthy retired female. Twice I had heard the nurses discussing me and how they thought they would be carrying me "out the backdoor" any day, and how very very ill I was.

Comment from: Meera, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I was diagnosed NHL (grade 3) in July 2010. In June I had fever and rashes on my face and arms. A few nodes were also present on my neck, but the doctor dismissed it as a viral fever. In a couple of days my fever and rashes were gone, but nodes were still there. As days passed I felt tired and finally it ended in rectal bleeding and I was admitted in the hospital. Endoscopy, colonoscopy and CT scan were done. They found a tumor in my appendix and it was immediately removed. It was 10 cm long and 3 cm diameter. The biopsy report showed Lymphoma. I didn't have the slightest thought that I would have cancer. My treatment included monoclonal therapy and chemotherapy. In November 2010 I had my last chemo and in Jan 2011 I had my CT Scan done. The region included neck, chest, abdomen and pelvis. The result was normal. I struggled very much during my treatment. My family and friends supported me especially my sister. I lost all my hair, eyebrows and eyelashes. Now everything is back. I look the same to the people who are undergoing treatment don't get disappointed, you will be fine. Be positive, there's a beautiful life for you. Fight back. You get a positive result if your mind is positive.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 10

In 1981 i entered a study at the National institutes of health. I was stages 3a folicular poorly differenciated Lymphoma. I was put on PROMACE/MOPP over the course of a year and then 'total nodal radiation' for about three months. I remained disease free until 6years ago. A tumor in my lung was diagnosed a typical lung carcinoid. I have had surgery to remove cancerous lung and lymphnoids. Now on monitoring.I have had no symptoms since surgery and remain 'clear' as of 2013 but am not cured.

Comment from: AZGVLD, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I originally presented to my nurse practitioner with a lump in my throat and premature ventricular contractions. I was referred to a cardiologist for evaluation and blood work was done. The cardiologist did not identify any abnormal findings in the blood work because the lab reported the findings as within range; however, no range values were given. Three weeks later my nurse practitioner called and told me that the lymphocytes and neutrophils were abnormal. She sent me for a CT with contrast. About a week later the results showed that I had a swollen spleen and lymph nodes in my chest, auxiliary area, and abdomen. I went to the oncologist and he scheduled a lymph node biopsy followed by a PET scan. I am very frustrated because the surgeon did not call me to schedule the biopsy and I have lost even more time now to the holiday. Now I must wait until the surgeon's office opens to schedule the biopsy. Even after I get the biopsy the lab will have to provide the results before a diagnosis and treatment plan will be made. It seems like it's taking way to long while my symptoms seem to be getting worse. I am feeling like a cog in the medical system. I am very frustrated. I don't want to lose more time. I want to get a diagnosis so that I can start treatment.

Non-Hodgkin's Lymphomas - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.
Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma - Symptoms Question: What symptoms of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma did you experience when you were diagnosed?
Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma - Prognosis Question: What's the prognosis of your non-Hodgkin's lymphoma?