Patient Comments: Non-Hodgkin's Lymphomas - Treatments

What treatments were effective for your non-Hodgkin's lymphoma?

Comment from: CJ, 0-2 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I had a bad fall, resulting in bruising my abdominal area. A week later I had an ablation. I came out of recovery and for over the next 6 hours the pain in my abdomen increased. I did a CT scan and found that a hematoma had developed on the left side of my abdominal area. Due to thinning of my blood for the procedure it caused the bruised blood vessels to rupture.

Comment from: Tad, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 15

I had a sore back and was diagnosed with anaplastic large T-cell ALK negative non-Hodgkin's lymphoma last June. I underwent 6 rounds of CHOEP chemotherapy, 3 rounds of methotrexate, Cytoxan, high doses chemotherapy and a new birthday with stem cell transplant. Currently I am about four months out and feeling good. Wishing everyone else the best.

Comment from: Space Rock, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

I found out I had bone marrow cancer (non-Hodgkin's lymphoma) in 2010 when I went to the doctor because I was tired all the time. He called me at 0720 to tell me to go to the hospital for a blood transfusion; 28 of them. I was treated with Rituxan 1 a week for 8 weeks and then 1 every 3 month for 2 years. I was in remission for 15 months and this year (2014) I started treatment again 1 a week 8 week and am in my 2 year maintenance of 1 every 2 months. I do not think there is a cure for what I have. By the way, in 2009 I had colon cancer and in 2011 I had parotid gland cancer. So I am aware of the different cancers.

Comment from: CoachKyle, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 04

In August of 2006 I was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma (ALCL). I was 18 years old and had just finished my first year of college. I had never even heard of this disease until the day I was diagnosed. I was feeling flu-like symptoms, extreme night sweats, fatigue, and had multiple swollen lymph nodes in my groin. I went through 6 rounds of CHOP chemotherapy and was declared in remission. However, 6 years later, it returned, this time in my neck area. I went forward with a new treatment called brentuximab followed by a stem-cell transplant. I am 2 years out of my transplant and so far, so good. Sometimes you just have to hope you are holding a better hand of cards than the cancer is. Hang in there.

Comment from: janie decatur al, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

This response is for Diane, August 15 - get another doctor! All symptoms you described indicates non-Hodgkin's lymphoma (NHL). Fortunately I had a small bowel obstruction, hospitalized from 2/17 to 2/21, and no surgery required. Surgeon ordered follow up CT scan, where he saw abnormal lymph nodes in groin, got results in 3 days, did biopsy, found NHL B-cell, and referred to oncologist, 3/27. I had PET scan on 4/04, port inserted 4/14, and began chemotherapy on 4/25. I have had 4 treatments, going for scan on 24th July to see progress. My initial symptoms were shortness of breath, unbearable night sweats, and occasional chest pain.

Comment from: BETTY, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 03

My dad died on February 14, 1997 from non-Hodgkin's lymphoma (NHL) stage 4. He was given one dose of chemotherapy and he had an MI (myocardial infarction) and went into multiple system failure. From the time my dad was diagnosed till he died was less than 3 weeks.

Comment from: blessed, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 13

In Dec. 2001 I was diagnosed with NHL stage IV. I was in hospital 3 months, had several surgeries and CHOP. My bone marrow stopped producing after my 5th chemo so I was again hospitalized for blood transfusions. My bone marrow returned and I continued my 8 rounds of CHOP. I was then 55 years old. Now, 10 years later, I am a healthy retired female. Twice I had heard the nurses discussing me and how they thought they would be carrying me "out the backdoor" any day, and how very very ill I was.

Non-Hodgkin's Lymphomas - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.
Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma - Symptoms Question: What symptoms of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma did you experience when you were diagnosed?
Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma - Prognosis Question: What's the prognosis of your non-Hodgkin's lymphoma?