Patient Comments: Non-Hodgkin's Lymphomas - Treatments

What treatments were effective for your non-Hodgkin's lymphoma?

Comment from: Meera, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I was diagnosed NHL (grade 3) in July 2010. In June I had fever and rashes on my face and arms. A few nodes were also present on my neck, but the doctor dismissed it as a viral fever. In a couple of days my fever and rashes were gone, but nodes were still there. As days passed I felt tired and finally it ended in rectal bleeding and I was admitted in the hospital. Endoscopy, colonoscopy and CT scan were done. They found a tumor in my appendix and it was immediately removed. It was 10 cm long and 3 cm diameter. The biopsy report showed Lymphoma. I didn't have the slightest thought that I would have cancer. My treatment included monoclonal therapy and chemotherapy. In November 2010 I had my last chemo and in Jan 2011 I had my CT Scan done. The region included neck, chest, abdomen and pelvis. The result was normal. I struggled very much during my treatment. My family and friends supported me especially my sister. I lost all my hair, eyebrows and eyelashes. Now everything is back. I look the same to the people who are undergoing treatment don't get disappointed, you will be fine. Be positive, there's a beautiful life for you. Fight back. You get a positive result if your mind is positive.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 10

In 1981 i entered a study at the National institutes of health. I was stages 3a folicular poorly differenciated Lymphoma. I was put on PROMACE/MOPP over the course of a year and then 'total nodal radiation' for about three months. I remained disease free until 6years ago. A tumor in my lung was diagnosed a typical lung carcinoid. I have had surgery to remove cancerous lung and lymphnoids. Now on monitoring.I have had no symptoms since surgery and remain 'clear' as of 2013 but am not cured.

Comment from: AZGVLD, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I originally presented to my nurse practitioner with a lump in my throat and premature ventricular contractions. I was referred to a cardiologist for evaluation and blood work was done. The cardiologist did not identify any abnormal findings in the blood work because the lab reported the findings as within range; however, no range values were given. Three weeks later my nurse practitioner called and told me that the lymphocytes and neutrophils were abnormal. She sent me for a CT with contrast. About a week later the results showed that I had a swollen spleen and lymph nodes in my chest, auxiliary area, and abdomen. I went to the oncologist and he scheduled a lymph node biopsy followed by a PET scan. I am very frustrated because the surgeon did not call me to schedule the biopsy and I have lost even more time now to the holiday. Now I must wait until the surgeon's office opens to schedule the biopsy. Even after I get the biopsy the lab will have to provide the results before a diagnosis and treatment plan will be made. It seems like it's taking way to long while my symptoms seem to be getting worse. I am feeling like a cog in the medical system. I am very frustrated. I don't want to lose more time. I want to get a diagnosis so that I can start treatment.

Comment from: Heatherd, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 27

Just up and thinking about my dad. Well, it feels like yesterday that we all gathered up and heard the news that dad was at stage four of non-Hodgkins lymphoma. I can't tell you as a little girl how many months I spent in the hospital with my 3 young siblings as we watched our healthy 33 year old father rapidly decline in health. I remember hearing his screams in the night. His poor legs would cramp up so terribly. Before he was sick I don't believe I ever remember him being in pain. He went from a healthy 188 pd man to about 80 pds. That was 20 years ago. He just married off my sister and she works in oncology as does my eldest sister. Guess it all touched our hearts. Congrats on going 20 years when only told 3 months! Have faith folks :) you can beat this monster.

Comment from: Kurt, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: June 11

I was diagnosed with Burkitt's Lymphoma six months ago. This is the most aggressive cancer known to man. I am now done with treatment -- lost every single strand of hair on my body. It is now growing back five weeks later. Cancer sucks. Stay positive though, remember you're the boss! I'm fine now, I would suggest anyone reading this to start a vegan diet and exercise daily. I mean, the reason you got cancer in the first place is what you're putting in your body. If you eat all natural foods, you will never get cancer.

Non-Hodgkin's Lymphomas - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.
Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma - Symptoms Question: What symptoms of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma did you experience when you were diagnosed?
Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma - Prognosis Question: What's the prognosis of your non-Hodgkin's lymphoma?