Patient Comments: Non-Hodgkin's Lymphomas - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.

Comment from: Patrick, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 11

I was watching a program on TV one day and noticed a fairly large lump in my neck. I asked my wife to feel it and she felt I should call the doctor immediately which I did. He brought me in right away and had a biopsy taken. The biopsy confirmed cancer as potentially non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. A week later the lump was surgically removed and the cancer was verified as non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. Because the cancer was found quickly I did not require chemotherapy, only radiation treatments and a bone marrow biopsy all of which lasted for about 6 to 9 months. I was tested for 5 years afterwards before being considered cancer free. And that is where I stand today, 10 years after the fact. Early diagnoses saved my life.

Comment from: marhadaway, (Patient) Published: December 22

I had pain in groin and doctor ordered sonogram and blood work. He sent me to a hematologist and he ordered CT and biopsy, but they did not do biopsy as I cannot have the dye. I went back for a follow up and he said I had non-Hodgkin's lymphoma and would watch blood work every 3 months. I asked for a PET scan, and it is all in one area. He tells me not to worry about it.

Comment from: gaz, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 18

In 2003 I had a lump under my arm, which after a biopsy turned out to be non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. I had to have a CT scan, which found it in my chest and under the other arm. I had chemotherapy for 6 months and was told it had gone. In 2004 I decided to give up work, because I thought life is too short to work in a factory for the rest of my life. I have spent the last 11 years enjoying my life, travelling, dancing and learning anything that interests me.

Comment from: naej, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

I started coughing in July 2013, 4 months after I gave birth to my 3rd child at the age of 31. It lasted for almost 2 months, thinking that it was only an allergy. This resulted in chest pain and shortness of breath which I had never experienced before. I have undergone x-ray and CT scan and a mediastinal mass was found on my left chest. Series of biopsies were done and a negative result was always revealed. It was finally diagnosed as large B cell lymphoma stage 4, in the end of December 2013 after the fourth biopsy. I have undergone 8 cycles of CHOP for my chemotherapy and was followed by 20 days radiation therapy that ended in September 2014. In November 2014, I found out that I was pregnant with my 4th child. But my CT scan revealed that there is only a very slight regression of my mediastinal mass and additional new lesions were found in both my lungs. My oncologist suggested another chemotherapy, R-CHOP but since I was pregnant, the plan was cancelled. My CBC, LDH and other blood chemistry tests were monitored, including my physical activities during my pregnancy. Everything went normal until I gave birth to a very healthy baby boy this July. Now, I have just done my CT scan and I was very positive that my tumor and lesions were gone. My x-ray revealed a clear and normal result. Now, I'm enjoying each day nursing my little angel and playing with my other 3 kids, aged 4, 3 and 2. My weapons were right food and positive outlook in life. Plus the 24/7 support of my husband, friends and other family members.

Comment from: dobo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 17

On January 2012, I had my spleen taken out and the doctor told me it was non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. The doctors thought they got it all so they just kept a close eye on me. In 6 months I had a PET scan and it showed that I had stage 3 non-Hodgkin's follicular lymphoma. The cancer was from my hip area to my neck. I went through 6 rounds of chemotherapy and as of now, I'm still in remission. I have always tried to do what the doctor tells me and I also try to keep a positive attitude. I've been through breast cancer in 2008 and I tried to keep a positive outlook on things. I think that it is very important to have a positive attitude. How are you going to get better if you keep thinking negative! Oh, I'm not saying that we don't have our moments, but just so we keep going back to that positive attitude. Good Luck to everyone and hope everything goes well for you all.

Non-Hodgkin's Lymphomas - Treatments Question: What treatments were effective for your non-Hodgkin's lymphoma?
Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma - Symptoms Question: What symptoms of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma did you experience when you were diagnosed?
Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma - Prognosis Question: What's the prognosis of your non-Hodgkin's lymphoma?