Patient Comments: Non-Hodgkin's Lymphomas - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.

Comment from: naej, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

I started coughing in July 2013, 4 months after I gave birth to my 3rd child at the age of 31. It lasted for almost 2 months, thinking that it was only an allergy. This resulted in chest pain and shortness of breath which I had never experienced before. I have undergone x-ray and CT scan and a mediastinal mass was found on my left chest. Series of biopsies were done and a negative result was always revealed. It was finally diagnosed as large B cell lymphoma stage 4, in the end of December 2013 after the fourth biopsy. I have undergone 8 cycles of CHOP for my chemotherapy and was followed by 20 days radiation therapy that ended in September 2014. In November 2014, I found out that I was pregnant with my 4th child. But my CT scan revealed that there is only a very slight regression of my mediastinal mass and additional new lesions were found in both my lungs. My oncologist suggested another chemotherapy, R-CHOP but since I was pregnant, the plan was cancelled. My CBC, LDH and other blood chemistry tests were monitored, including my physical activities during my pregnancy. Everything went normal until I gave birth to a very healthy baby boy this July. Now, I have just done my CT scan and I was very positive that my tumor and lesions were gone. My x-ray revealed a clear and normal result. Now, I'm enjoying each day nursing my little angel and playing with my other 3 kids, aged 4, 3 and 2. My weapons were right food and positive outlook in life. Plus the 24/7 support of my husband, friends and other family members.

Comment from: dobo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 17

On January 2012, I had my spleen taken out and the doctor told me it was non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. The doctors thought they got it all so they just kept a close eye on me. In 6 months I had a PET scan and it showed that I had stage 3 non-Hodgkin's follicular lymphoma. The cancer was from my hip area to my neck. I went through 6 rounds of chemotherapy and as of now, I'm still in remission. I have always tried to do what the doctor tells me and I also try to keep a positive attitude. I've been through breast cancer in 2008 and I tried to keep a positive outlook on things. I think that it is very important to have a positive attitude. How are you going to get better if you keep thinking negative! Oh, I'm not saying that we don't have our moments, but just so we keep going back to that positive attitude. Good Luck to everyone and hope everything goes well for you all.

Comment from: ehin881939, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 12

My cancers were caught on annual exams. The year before my exams only showed low platelets. I saw the oncologist at that time but took supplements to bring up platelets. So the next year, my mammogram showed breast cancer and my annual blood work showed non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. The oncologist's office said I needed to get to a surgeon for the breast cancer lumpectomy. And then I remembered one of the best surgeons ever that I had seen for skin tags. He had a zero infection rate. And I booked my appointment with him. With this decision I got some power back. That is what a cancer patient needs, some power and control and loving support, radiation for breast and chemotherapy for blood. At present there is no evidence of breast cancer and the blood is in remission (this was above and below diaphragm). I still need my chemotherapy but making platelets. Find your power and your good doctors.

Comment from: Greg, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 07

I was on vacation with my son. I was 52 in 2002 and in good health as far as I knew. We were horseback riding on the beach, when on a sudden my back went out. I thought I had slipped a disc. Over the next several days, I saw 2 bone crunchers and had a home remedy performed that should have killed me! It turns out that cancer ate through my spine. By the time I was able to get back and get it diagnosed it was another couple weeks. I went to a cancer ward and was staged 4 with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma with a terminal diagnosis but had a chance with immediate treatment of chemotherapy and radiation. It has been 12 years and 5 months since I received 6 months of treatment. My lymphoma has returned this fall, and I am awaiting a lymph node removal and biopsy. I hope I have the strength to be able to continue the fight. Every day is a holiday and I am thankful for everything. Never quit, be brave and fight the fight!

Comment from: terigen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 30

At age 60 I was diagnosed with extensive non-Hodgkin's lymphoma (NHL), follicular, mixed cell, primarily B type. I had lost weight, was itchy, had severe night chills (not sweats), and too many tumors to count, as per CT scan. I had the Rituxan, with CVP, and did very well, then went into a 2 year program of Rituxan every 6 months. That was 7 years now since diagnosis, and I'm doing well. I am starting to have a few more symptoms, but will see my oncologist next month. The chemotherapy wasn't so bad, so don't be afraid. Trust your doctor. Good luck all.

Non-Hodgkin's Lymphomas - Treatments Question: What treatments were effective for your non-Hodgkin's lymphoma?
Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma - Symptoms Question: What symptoms of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma did you experience when you were diagnosed?
Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma - Prognosis Question: What's the prognosis of your non-Hodgkin's lymphoma?