Patient Comments: Non-Hodgkin's Lymphomas - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.

Published: June 26

I was diagnosed with Non Hodgkin Lymphoma. The tumor is the size of a grapefruit in my mediastinum. After 6 months of chop treatment I went into remission. I don't usually feel well but all my exams such as ct's and pet's scan are normal as per my oncologist. Although the last year I have been feeling pretty bad. Recently I have pain to my upper lung area. Sensitive to touch and my chest feels like someone is sitting on it. My stress level is pretty high. I feel bad calling my doctor's for answers since they think I am a hypochondriac

Published: June 20

I was diagnosed with nhl 1 week before last Xmas. Tests have shown that I have it in my stomach and I am on a wait and see. I now have swellings in my throat and tend to get pains there from time to time including sudden and painful head pains which disappear as soon as they have come. I wondered if this was anything to do with my NHL and if anyone else has the same problems.

Comment from: laurie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 09

I'm a 49 year old female diagnosed one month ago with a very rare primary breast lymphoma Stage 2 MALT. I was also diagnosed with Hep B antibodies and Hep C. No symptoms of any disease, just a small lump (2cm) in my right breast. I was started on Rituxan/Zevalin for lymphoma and Epivir for the B antibodies nothing yet for the Hep C. I had backache from Rituxan and akathisia from Benadryl during the first infusion. The second infusion was fine. I'm somewhat tired but getting more energy daily. The doctors say platelets will start dropping in approximately 2 weeks. What then? Seems odd to be treated for such serious stuff when I felt fine.

Comment from: jake, Published: October 15

My brother died yesterday. I can't believe that a cure for cancer has not been found with all the billions of dollars spent on research. Or is it because there is more money to be made in treatment rather than the actual cure.

Comment from: Rosie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I am a 42 year old female who was diagnosed with NHL weeks before i turned 40. I was in a stressful job and was eventually diagnosed after months of symptoms namely a persistent cough and breathing difficulties. I had stage 2 lymphoma, mediastinal mass. I was treated with chemo - a harsh regime of nine months intensive (as a 10 year old with leukemia). On month five i nearly died of posterior leukoencephalopathy. I had almost 2 years maintenance chemo and I am now in remission and apart from a few memory problems and 'misfiring' I am 'healthy'! I have three children and a fab husband and am not worried abut it coming back as long as it's not too soon.

Comment from: Karen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I am about 8 years out from treatment for non Hodgkins lymphoma. I went through the Stanford V protocol with 8 weeks of chemo and then radiation. I am now having some major trouble with sensitivity to sound (weird) in my teeth. Has anyone else had this problem?

Comment from: kvh, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

It was discovered that I had a large tumor on my left kidney. I underwent open renal surgery. The doctor was unable to remove the tumor and had to remove the entire kidney. I was told that 3% of the cells studied were Lymphoma cells. Initially it was thought that I had Waldenstrom but after many tests learned that I had multi-zonal mantel Cell B Lymphoma. I am now in the maintenance phase of the treatment. Currently I am feeling fine but experienced a severe skin reaction after the 1st maintenance dose of Rituxan in July. It is now September and that issue has not been resolved so far the only thing that has helped is prednisone which has caused other side effects such as lack of sleep, mood changes and weight gain.

Published: July 25

I am a 39-year-old mother of two little boys and am now only two years in remission. I was diagnosed with stage 4 lymphoma, and offered three months to live. I have the most amazing consultant. I believe in positive thinking and the power to survive for my boys. It was a long and hard journey, nearly dying from pneumonia in between chemo round three and four. Every day I worry it will return. Every day I hug my boys that much more. Keep fighting, and support cancer research wherever you live.

Non-Hodgkins Lymphomas - Treatments Question: What treatments were effective for your non-Hodgkin's lymphoma?
Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma - Symptoms Question: What symptoms of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma did you experience when you were diagnosed?
Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma - Prognosis Question: What's the prognosis of your non-Hodgkin's lymphoma?