Patient Comments: Non-Hodgkin's Lymphomas - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.

Comment from: Harry, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 02

Two years ago I was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma (NHL). I was a healthy 62-year-old male, and this was the fist case of this in our family history. The doctors described it as being the most aggressive that they had ever seen. Now after all my treatments, which included chemotherapy and a successful stem cell transplant, I am in remission and enjoying life again. Hang in there; never ever give up hope. Our nurses and doctors are first class.

Comment from: 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: October 15

My dad means the world to me and I was just informed that his non-Hodgkins lymphoma cancer has metastasize and is in his liver the size of a grapefruit. He also has a tumor growing inside of the neck area that has made his trachea shift. He already received aggressive chemotherapy and radiation to the neck area and the tumor continues to grow. The Dr. just told my family that he is not curable but they will make him as comfortable as possible. I forgot to mention that he just had a stroke after being admitted into the hospital for the cancer. I don't understand why it's not curable he has been going for this treatments and was a strong healthy man. Why didn't anyone suggest stem cell transplant or was this not an option in his case?

Comment from: Diana, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

June 25th I noticed a groin lymph node was swollen-I started running a fever for 3 days-thought I had the flu. Had night sweats along with fever. Went to ER and they ran a CAT scan and saw that the lymph nodes in just the left side of my body up to my heart were swollen. Was sent to a cancer doctor who had a biopsy done of the node-but still knows nothing-watching and waiting. Went back again 8/14 to see doctor-still nothing-will have CAT scan with contrast today 8/15. Thought for sure with all the blood and biopsy taken they would know if I had lymphoma by now. Is this the usual? Is it so hard to detect? My symptoms all point to lymphoma-I am a 41 year old woman. I think the doctor is trying to diagnose me by male symptoms of the disease. Did it take awhile for everyone to get a diagnosis with this disease? The doctor seemed disappointed yesterday that I wasn't better-he says he is stumped by my blood results-cause they aren't pointing that way. Is this a good sign or his he too early in the detection of it? My symptoms are fever, night sweats, flushing of skin, neck pain, chest pain, pain on both sides of body at times, thigh pain, headaches, fatigue. I am not looking for anything but input here-I just need to know what I am experiencing with my doctor is normal-that this may take awhile to diagnose.

Comment from: D, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 05

I was perfectly healthy and 25 and one day I got a cough that never left. I was diagnosed with diffuse large B cell lymphoma in stage 2. Cancer really has a way of derailing almost your whole life. Chemotherapy will tear down your body and tear down your mind but all the effort in the world will go to waste if you don't believe you can win.

Comment from: L oving Sister, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 08

My brother died April 4, 2009. After his chemo had finished, and he was about to undergo radiation treatment, he complained about shallow breathing and pain in his abdomen (the upper part below his ribcage). In less than 24 hours, he died after two consecutive seizures. It was very, very painful.All the while we thought he would survive. It is true that non-Hodgkin's lymphoma is unpredictable.

Comment from: Sharon, 75 or over Male Published: May 08

My 75-year-old brother has a recurrence of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma and currently is in the hospital. He also has complications with diabetes and has had several toes removed. When the latest removal of a toe caused an infection, he was given many antibiotics, but the toe has not cleared up. Now he is back in the hospital where he keeps retaining fluid in his lungs. When they removed the fluid, they found cancer cells. They no longer can postpone his chemo treatment because his white cells are elevated extremely high.

Non-Hodgkin's Lymphomas - Treatments Question: What treatments were effective for your non-Hodgkin's lymphoma?
Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma - Symptoms Question: What symptoms of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma did you experience when you were diagnosed?
Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma - Prognosis Question: What's the prognosis of your non-Hodgkin's lymphoma?