Patient Comments: Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.

Comment from: spiprn1, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

My lymphoma was detected after I went to the doctor for 3 lumps in my left groin that had grown. I went to the surgeon and he did biopsy and it came back as B-cell lymphoma. The doctor states it is most likely in stage 4 because it is so aggressive and fast growing. I am scheduled for R-CHOP starting this next week.

Comment from: mikialways, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 28

I am twenty four years old and I had a swollen lymph node in my neck. I thought I had the flu at first so didn't worry about the swelling. Four months later it grew bigger and I decided to get it checked up. Three doctors could not tell me what it was so I finally found my old doctor and she told me it is lymphoma. Yesterday I got this news, tomorrow is my twenty-fifth birthday, and we are still in the process of figuring out the stage. I am terrified, I won't lie, but at least I got some answers and now know what is next.

Comment from: Lana, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

Two years ago I was diagnosed with indolent splenic marginal zone lymphoma. But then a year ago it became aggressive and almost killed me. I had 6 CHOP-R chemotherapy and doing okay. I am now on Rituxan maintenance every 3 months. Although I have good blood tests, I feel so tired that I sleep more than I am awake. I can't hold any job, I used to work in a pharmacy but I can't stand on my feet for more than an hour.

Comment from: Liz, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 15

My mom was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma (NHL). They gave her chemotherapy and she was cancer free for 6 months and then it came back. She then received a stem cell transplant. This treatment didn't work. I think perhaps because she was too old for this type of treatment. There is the risk for infections. Good luck all of you as you fight this cancer. Keep strong and don't give up.

Comment from: 66y0stagea, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 04

From age 18 I had problems in my respiratory system that resulted in a right middle lobectomy at 34. Further problems brought on pulmonary sarcoidosis at 52. From 54 onwards I took methotrexate for rheumatoid arthritis (RA). At 65 I was treated with Aldara for a facial basal cell carcinoma (BCC). I was lucky and the BCC cleared up without any visible signs. I have now been diagnosed with indolent follicular non-Hodgkin"s lymphoma (NHL) stage three.

Comment from: JP, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 20

My husband was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma (stage 4) at age 44 on December 26, 2007. (That was one heck of a Christmas present!) Our entire life was thrown upside down. He has undergone chemo, and his cancer is in remission. It seems that all we hear is negative words when it comes to the �c� word. I struggle every day just to get through the day without thinking about it. The doctors say that my husband looks really good and is doing well, but every time he gets a simple cold or flu I flip out. Anxiety builds and I can't even tell him what's causing it because I don't want to worry him. My husband is also juicing and is doing well with it. I pray for all those who suffer from "c" that God may give them and their families the strength to carry on.

Comment from: Desi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 02

At the age of 43 in 2003, I was diagnosed with stage 4 non-Hodgkin's lymphoma (NHL). By this time, it had spread to my bone marrow. I had a tumor inside my upper nose cavity. I started CHOP treatment and felt good for six months when the tumor had returned. I started my second ICE treatment, and that didn't work. The tumor shrank, but it did not disappear. In October of 2004, it was recommended that I have a stem cell transplant, and since my transplant, I have felt terrific. Each day I think it will come back, as I was told there was no cure for this disease. But at my last three-month visit in January of 2008, my doctor told me he feels confident it will not come back. It has now been almost six years since my diagnosis, and I do believe in positive thinking. While having all my treatments, I carried on with going to work, coming home, cooking and cleaning the house as if there was nothing wrong with me, and I feel that is what has helped me through this, rather than sitting at home and feeling sorry for myself. I have since seen my eldest son get married, and I now have a beautiful granddaughter named after me. For those who are going through this, there is always hope. The best medicine I found was daily fresh fruit juice. The oranges, apples, pears, and pineapple, carrot and celery were thrown into my juice machine, and I drank about 300 milliliters a day without fail. This will combat most days where the chemo has hit hard and helps you to continue to build your immune system while it's being knocked about. And of course positive thinking; the mind is a strong.

Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma - Treatments Question: What treatments were effective for your non-Hodgkin's lymphoma?
Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma - Symptoms Question: What symptoms of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma did you experience when you were diagnosed?
Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma - Prognosis Question: What's the prognosis of your non-Hodgkin's lymphoma?