Patient Comments: Non-Hodgkin's Lymphomas - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.

Comment from: ruthie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

In 2007 I was diagnosed with Stage 4 acute T-cell lymphoblastic lymphoma. I was treated with 8 rounds of chemotherapy, 15 treatments of chemotherapy to the brain via the spine, 22 treatments of radiation, and then another 1 1/2 years of out-patient chemotherapy. It was very rare for a person of 62 to have this kind of cancer. As of November my oncologist has told me that I am cured! It was a success story!

Comment from: jol, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

Two days after returning from a beach vacation I suddenly had a terrible back ache. Prior to this I had no problems. In fact was running 3 miles 4 times a week. Back pain was intermittent at first then it became worst and felt like I was passing kidney stone. The doctor's pain medications were of no help so finally had a CT scan that showed a large mass on the left side sitting on the kidney. The pain was pretty horrible so I ended up in the hospital and there I had a biopsy and was diagnosed with stage 3 NHL (non-Hodgkin's lymphoma). Fortunately it was in one location. I had 6 rounds of CHOP. It was pretty tough but my body held out. I had great support from family and from friends and lots of good wishes. I am cancer free today and continue to get scans every 4 months.

Comment from: mikialways, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 28

I am twenty four years old and I had a swollen lymph node in my neck. I thought I had the flu at first so didn't worry about the swelling. Four months later it grew bigger and I decided to get it checked up. Three doctors could not tell me what it was so I finally found my old doctor and she told me it is lymphoma. Yesterday I got this news, tomorrow is my twenty-fifth birthday, and we are still in the process of figuring out the stage. I am terrified, I won't lie, but at least I got some answers and now know what is next.

Comment from: Lana, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

Two years ago I was diagnosed with indolent splenic marginal zone lymphoma. But then a year ago it became aggressive and almost killed me. I had 6 CHOP-R chemotherapy and doing okay. I am now on Rituxan maintenance every 3 months. Although I have good blood tests, I feel so tired that I sleep more than I am awake. I can't hold any job, I used to work in a pharmacy but I can't stand on my feet for more than an hour.

Comment from: Liz, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 15

My mom was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma (NHL). They gave her chemotherapy and she was cancer free for 6 months and then it came back. She then received a stem cell transplant. This treatment didn't work. I think perhaps because she was too old for this type of treatment. There is the risk for infections. Good luck all of you as you fight this cancer. Keep strong and don't give up.

Comment from: 66y0stagea, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 04

From age 18 I had problems in my respiratory system that resulted in a right middle lobectomy at 34. Further problems brought on pulmonary sarcoidosis at 52. From 54 onwards I took methotrexate for rheumatoid arthritis (RA). At 65 I was treated with Aldara for a facial basal cell carcinoma (BCC). I was lucky and the BCC cleared up without any visible signs. I have now been diagnosed with indolent follicular non-Hodgkin"s lymphoma (NHL) stage three.

Comment from: JP, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 20

My husband was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma (stage 4) at age 44 on December 26, 2007. (That was one heck of a Christmas present!) Our entire life was thrown upside down. He has undergone chemo, and his cancer is in remission. It seems that all we hear is negative words when it comes to the “c” word. I struggle every day just to get through the day without thinking about it. The doctors say that my husband looks really good and is doing well, but every time he gets a simple cold or flu I flip out. Anxiety builds and I can't even tell him what's causing it because I don't want to worry him. My husband is also juicing and is doing well with it. I pray for all those who suffer from "c" that God may give them and their families the strength to carry on.

Non-Hodgkin's Lymphomas - Treatments Question: What treatments were effective for your non-Hodgkin's lymphoma?
Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma - Symptoms Question: What symptoms of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma did you experience when you were diagnosed?
Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma - Prognosis Question: What's the prognosis of your non-Hodgkin's lymphoma?