Patient Comments: Non-Hodgkin's Lymphomas - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.

Comment from: L oving Sister, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 08

My brother died April 4, 2009. After his chemo had finished, and he was about to undergo radiation treatment, he complained about shallow breathing and pain in his abdomen (the upper part below his ribcage). In less than 24 hours, he died after two consecutive seizures. It was very, very painful.All the while we thought he would survive. It is true that non-Hodgkin's lymphoma is unpredictable.

Comment from: Sharon, 75 or over Male Published: May 08

My 75-year-old brother has a recurrence of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma and currently is in the hospital. He also has complications with diabetes and has had several toes removed. When the latest removal of a toe caused an infection, he was given many antibiotics, but the toe has not cleared up. Now he is back in the hospital where he keeps retaining fluid in his lungs. When they removed the fluid, they found cancer cells. They no longer can postpone his chemo treatment because his white cells are elevated extremely high.

Comment from: sammie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 03

I had lymphoma in 1982. I had a lump under my arm. I had this removed by a local injection, as at the time, the doctors thought it was a fatty tumor and not serious. When it was sent away for an analysis, they found it was lymphoma. I had radiation therapy and have been well since. I go back for regular check-ups and have been OK since.

Comment from: Tvaldez, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 02

I was diagnosed with stage IV non-Hodgkin's lymphoma in 2002. I am currently receiving chemo for the fourth time. I have had four regiments, and I still need to get two more. I was also hospitalized for seven days in December of last year and diagnosed with PCP (a form of pneumonia). I have been on antibiotics since then, and I have to be on them the whole time I am on chemo since my pulmonary specialist tells me I could get it again because of my compromised immune system. If you or a loved one is going through treatment, have faith and think positive.

Published: February 02

My mother was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin's lympoma in 2006. She hasn't had any treatment yet, but the doctor has suggested she try Rituxan. Her legs hurt her so badly that she can hardly walk. The doctors have run every test we know of. They say it is not the lymphoma that is causing the problems with her legs, but they can't find any other reason.

Comment from: rhondagordner, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 02

My father was told he had non-Hodgkin's lymphoma in September of 2006. We were told that he would have no problem beating it. He had different kinds of chemo and radiation, but when those didn't work and stem cell was not an option, we knew it was close to the end. Dad was never a sick person before this, but toward the end, he was very sick from the chemo. Before cancer, he weighed 223 pounds. At his death, he weighed 87 pounds. I hope they find a cure soon.

Comment from: Wendi, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I am a 39 year old woman I who was diagnosed with stage 2 non-Hodgkins lymphoma. I have two sons 20 and 14. I never thought I would be the one to get cancer I have never been sick, but what I would like everyone to know is your mind has so much to do with your healing. I have had six months of chemo and I am so lucky it is going well Good Luck to all out there fighting this it is hard and unforgiving at times, but life is worth the fight!

Comment from: Rachael, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

I am 24 years old, and I was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma when I was 18. I went through six months of chemotherapy, then one month of radiation. Then I went into remission for six years. In that time, I gave birth to two beautiful children. I have just now been re-diagnosed and have started a new type of chemotherapy. It is a scary process, but stay positive and live life to the fullest. You will find it will make you a stronger person in the future.

Non-Hodgkins Lymphomas - Treatments Question: What treatments were effective for your non-Hodgkin's lymphoma?
Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma - Symptoms Question: What symptoms of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma did you experience when you were diagnosed?
Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma - Prognosis Question: What's the prognosis of your non-Hodgkin's lymphoma?