Patient Comments: Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.

Comment from: Reggie, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 04

My 65 year old brother was diagnosed with stage 4 non-Hodgkin's lymphoma a couple of years ago. He went through two rounds of chemotherapy and was told by his doctor that he was cured! Seven months later, it reappeared in his lymph nodes. Yesterday I took him in to his doctor's office for a simple blood test and his counts were all so low that I had to bring him to the emergency room for a blood transfusion. When we got there, they ran a bunch of tests and found that he was in AF (atrial fibrillation) and had pneumonia. He is in isolation now in the hospital after being transfused and on mega doses of antibiotics. I just hope he has the strength to fight the pneumonia.

Comment from: ruthie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

In 2007 I was diagnosed with Stage 4 acute T-cell lymphoblastic lymphoma. I was treated with 8 rounds of chemotherapy, 15 treatments of chemotherapy to the brain via the spine, 22 treatments of radiation, and then another 1 1/2 years of out-patient chemotherapy. It was very rare for a person of 62 to have this kind of cancer. As of November my oncologist has told me that I am cured! It was a success story!

Comment from: jol, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

Two days after returning from a beach vacation I suddenly had a terrible back ache. Prior to this I had no problems. In fact was running 3 miles 4 times a week. Back pain was intermittent at first then it became worst and felt like I was passing kidney stone. The doctor's pain medications were of no help so finally had a CT scan that showed a large mass on the left side sitting on the kidney. The pain was pretty horrible so I ended up in the hospital and there I had a biopsy and was diagnosed with stage 3 NHL (non-Hodgkin's lymphoma). Fortunately it was in one location. I had 6 rounds of CHOP. It was pretty tough but my body held out. I had great support from family and from friends and lots of good wishes. I am cancer free today and continue to get scans every 4 months.

Comment from: spiprn1, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

My lymphoma was detected after I went to the doctor for 3 lumps in my left groin that had grown. I went to the surgeon and he did biopsy and it came back as B-cell lymphoma. The doctor states it is most likely in stage 4 because it is so aggressive and fast growing. I am scheduled for R-CHOP starting this next week.

Comment from: mikialways, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 28

I am twenty four years old and I had a swollen lymph node in my neck. I thought I had the flu at first so didn't worry about the swelling. Four months later it grew bigger and I decided to get it checked up. Three doctors could not tell me what it was so I finally found my old doctor and she told me it is lymphoma. Yesterday I got this news, tomorrow is my twenty-fifth birthday, and we are still in the process of figuring out the stage. I am terrified, I won't lie, but at least I got some answers and now know what is next.

Comment from: Lana, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

Two years ago I was diagnosed with indolent splenic marginal zone lymphoma. But then a year ago it became aggressive and almost killed me. I had 6 CHOP-R chemotherapy and doing okay. I am now on Rituxan maintenance every 3 months. Although I have good blood tests, I feel so tired that I sleep more than I am awake. I can't hold any job, I used to work in a pharmacy but I can't stand on my feet for more than an hour.

Comment from: Liz, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 15

My mom was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma (NHL). They gave her chemotherapy and she was cancer free for 6 months and then it came back. She then received a stem cell transplant. This treatment didn't work. I think perhaps because she was too old for this type of treatment. There is the risk for infections. Good luck all of you as you fight this cancer. Keep strong and don't give up.

Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma - Treatments Question: What treatments were effective for your non-Hodgkin's lymphoma?
Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma - Symptoms Question: What symptoms of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma did you experience when you were diagnosed?
Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma - Prognosis Question: What's the prognosis of your non-Hodgkin's lymphoma?