Patient Comments: Non-Hodgkin's Lymphomas - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.

Comment from: ehin881939, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 12

My cancers were caught on annual exams. The year before my exams only showed low platelets. I saw the oncologist at that time but took supplements to bring up platelets. So the next year, my mammogram showed breast cancer and my annual blood work showed non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. The oncologist's office said I needed to get to a surgeon for the breast cancer lumpectomy. And then I remembered one of the best surgeons ever that I had seen for skin tags. He had a zero infection rate. And I booked my appointment with him. With this decision I got some power back. That is what a cancer patient needs, some power and control and loving support, radiation for breast and chemotherapy for blood. At present there is no evidence of breast cancer and the blood is in remission (this was above and below diaphragm). I still need my chemotherapy but making platelets. Find your power and your good doctors.

Comment from: Greg, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 07

I was on vacation with my son. I was 52 in 2002 and in good health as far as I knew. We were horseback riding on the beach, when on a sudden my back went out. I thought I had slipped a disc. Over the next several days, I saw 2 bone crunchers and had a home remedy performed that should have killed me! It turns out that cancer ate through my spine. By the time I was able to get back and get it diagnosed it was another couple weeks. I went to a cancer ward and was staged 4 with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma with a terminal diagnosis but had a chance with immediate treatment of chemotherapy and radiation. It has been 12 years and 5 months since I received 6 months of treatment. My lymphoma has returned this fall, and I am awaiting a lymph node removal and biopsy. I hope I have the strength to be able to continue the fight. Every day is a holiday and I am thankful for everything. Never quit, be brave and fight the fight!

Comment from: terigen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 30

At age 60 I was diagnosed with extensive non-Hodgkin's lymphoma (NHL), follicular, mixed cell, primarily B type. I had lost weight, was itchy, had severe night chills (not sweats), and too many tumors to count, as per CT scan. I had the Rituxan, with CVP, and did very well, then went into a 2 year program of Rituxan every 6 months. That was 7 years now since diagnosis, and I'm doing well. I am starting to have a few more symptoms, but will see my oncologist next month. The chemotherapy wasn't so bad, so don't be afraid. Trust your doctor. Good luck all.

Comment from: RBMATHIS, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

I was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma (NHL) stage 4, and in my bone marrow, in Feb. 2011. I had to have my spleen removed due to being severely enlarged. I took 6 treatments of chemotherapy, my regimen was 'CHOP'. Due to having my spleen removed I was put out of work for 6 months, which I believe was a help not having the worry of going into work. After 3 years of being cancer free, my concern is, for NHL patients if the cancer should return what kind it will likely be. Seems with each 6 months of blood work, I have that fear... I take life one day at a time and enjoy each day that I get!

Comment from: Ian Mc, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 02

I was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin"s lymphoma (NHL) in 1999. I had CHOP and radiation treatment and made a good recovery. Unfortunately I was feeling somewhat unwell for a while in late 2012 and again it was found that the NHL had returned. This time I had treatment of R-Chop. A good result again that there was no sign of the cancer. I am now on the rituximab maintenance for the next 2 years, taken every 3 months. So far so good. I just feel so tired and find it hard some days to function right. Every pain or ache you think something is not right. You just try and get your head in the right space. I want to go back to work but find it very difficult to imagine what I could do. I think you must try and push through things. I hope things do get better and encourage everyone to do the same. I am sure we can get through this and with some support from loved ones I reckon it is doable. Keep at it all. Do your best.

Comment from: lyncat, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I was diagnosed with stage 4 non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. I have had chemotherapy followed by radiation to my right hip. I had 8 areas in my bones with lesions. I now have only 2 lesions. I went to a renowned cancer research hospital and given 2 to 5 years. That was back in March. I am doing infusions of an antibody every 2 months to keep my cancer at bay. What a whirlwind! I"m not sure what to make of all this, but I do know that I enjoy life each and every day!

Non-Hodgkin's Lymphomas - Treatments Question: What treatments were effective for your non-Hodgkin's lymphoma?
Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma - Symptoms Question: What symptoms of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma did you experience when you were diagnosed?
Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma - Prognosis Question: What's the prognosis of your non-Hodgkin's lymphoma?