Patient Comments: Non-Hodgkin's Lymphomas - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.

Comment from: JP, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 20

My husband was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma (stage 4) at age 44 on December 26, 2007. (That was one heck of a Christmas present!) Our entire life was thrown upside down. He has undergone chemo, and his cancer is in remission. It seems that all we hear is negative words when it comes to the “c” word. I struggle every day just to get through the day without thinking about it. The doctors say that my husband looks really good and is doing well, but every time he gets a simple cold or flu I flip out. Anxiety builds and I can't even tell him what's causing it because I don't want to worry him. My husband is also juicing and is doing well with it. I pray for all those who suffer from "c" that God may give them and their families the strength to carry on.

Comment from: Desi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 02

At the age of 43 in 2003, I was diagnosed with stage 4 non-Hodgkin's lymphoma (NHL). By this time, it had spread to my bone marrow. I had a tumor inside my upper nose cavity. I started CHOP treatment and felt good for six months when the tumor had returned. I started my second ICE treatment, and that didn't work. The tumor shrank, but it did not disappear. In October of 2004, it was recommended that I have a stem cell transplant, and since my transplant, I have felt terrific. Each day I think it will come back, as I was told there was no cure for this disease. But at my last three-month visit in January of 2008, my doctor told me he feels confident it will not come back. It has now been almost six years since my diagnosis, and I do believe in positive thinking. While having all my treatments, I carried on with going to work, coming home, cooking and cleaning the house as if there was nothing wrong with me, and I feel that is what has helped me through this, rather than sitting at home and feeling sorry for myself. I have since seen my eldest son get married, and I now have a beautiful granddaughter named after me. For those who are going through this, there is always hope. The best medicine I found was daily fresh fruit juice. The oranges, apples, pears, and pineapple, carrot and celery were thrown into my juice machine, and I drank about 300 milliliters a day without fail. This will combat most days where the chemo has hit hard and helps you to continue to build your immune system while it's being knocked about. And of course positive thinking; the mind is a strong.

Comment from: Harry, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 02

Two years ago I was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma (NHL). I was a healthy 62-year-old male, and this was the fist case of this in our family history. The doctors described it as being the most aggressive that they had ever seen. Now after all my treatments, which included chemotherapy and a successful stem cell transplant, I am in remission and enjoying life again. Hang in there; never ever give up hope. Our nurses and doctors are first class.

Comment from: 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: October 15

My dad means the world to me and I was just informed that his non-Hodgkins lymphoma cancer has metastasize and is in his liver the size of a grapefruit. He also has a tumor growing inside of the neck area that has made his trachea shift. He already received aggressive chemotherapy and radiation to the neck area and the tumor continues to grow. The Dr. just told my family that he is not curable but they will make him as comfortable as possible. I forgot to mention that he just had a stroke after being admitted into the hospital for the cancer. I don't understand why it's not curable he has been going for this treatments and was a strong healthy man. Why didn't anyone suggest stem cell transplant or was this not an option in his case?

Comment from: Diana, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

June 25th I noticed a groin lymph node was swollen-I started running a fever for 3 days-thought I had the flu. Had night sweats along with fever. Went to ER and they ran a CAT scan and saw that the lymph nodes in just the left side of my body up to my heart were swollen. Was sent to a cancer doctor who had a biopsy done of the node-but still knows nothing-watching and waiting. Went back again 8/14 to see doctor-still nothing-will have CAT scan with contrast today 8/15. Thought for sure with all the blood and biopsy taken they would know if I had lymphoma by now. Is this the usual? Is it so hard to detect? My symptoms all point to lymphoma-I am a 41 year old woman. I think the doctor is trying to diagnose me by male symptoms of the disease. Did it take awhile for everyone to get a diagnosis with this disease? The doctor seemed disappointed yesterday that I wasn't better-he says he is stumped by my blood results-cause they aren't pointing that way. Is this a good sign or his he too early in the detection of it? My symptoms are fever, night sweats, flushing of skin, neck pain, chest pain, pain on both sides of body at times, thigh pain, headaches, fatigue. I am not looking for anything but input here-I just need to know what I am experiencing with my doctor is normal-that this may take awhile to diagnose.

Non-Hodgkins Lymphomas - Treatments Question: What treatments were effective for your non-Hodgkin's lymphoma?
Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma - Symptoms Question: What symptoms of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma did you experience when you were diagnosed?
Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma - Prognosis Question: What's the prognosis of your non-Hodgkin's lymphoma?