- What Kind of Doctor Do I Need? Slideshow
- Dental (Oral) Health Quiz
- Causes of a Heart Attack Slideshow
- What are nitrates (nitrate medications)?
- What are examples of nitrates available in the United States?
- What are the side effects of nitrates?
- Are nitrates safe to take during pregnancy or while breastfeeding?
- What drugs interact with nitrates?
- What preparations of nitrates are available?
- How do nitrates work?
What drugs interact with nitrates?
- Nitrates can slow down metabolism of cabergoline and ergonovine, resulting in an increase in systolic blood pressure and an increased likelihood of angina symptoms.
- Sildenafil (Viagra), tadalafil (Cialis) and vardenafil (Levitra) increase the blood pressure lowering effects of nitrates and may cause excessive blood pressure reduction. Men taking nitrates should not take sildenafil (Viagra), tadalafil (Cialis), or vardenafil (Levitra).
What preparations of nitrates are available?
Nitrates are available in various formulations. Nitroglycerin is available in:
- oral capsule
- sublingual tablet
- sublingual spray
- intravenous solution
- topical ointment
- topical patch
- isosorbide mononitrate and isosorbide dinitrate are available as immediate and extended-release tablets
Only sublingual tablets, intravenous, or immediate release tablets are used for immediate treatment of angina because the onset of action of the other formulations is not fast enough.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Need help identifying pills and medications?
Use the pill identifier tool on RxList.