- What Kind of Doctor Do I Need? Slideshow
- Dental (Oral) Health Quiz
- Causes of a Heart Attack Slideshow
- What are nitrates (nitrate medications)?
- What are examples of nitrates available in the United States?
- What are the side effects of nitrates?
- Are nitrates safe to take during pregnancy or while breastfeeding?
- What drugs interact with nitrates?
- What preparations of nitrates are available?
- How do nitrates work?
What are the side effects of nitrates?
Common side effects of nitrates include:
- Burning and tingling under the tongue
- Low blood pressure
Other side effects include:
- Skin irritation
- Topical allergic reactions may also occur with the topical patch form
Are nitrates safe to take during pregnancy or while breastfeeding?
- The FDA classifies nitrates as pregnancy category C, which means that safe and effective use of nitrates in pregnant women has not been established. Nitrates should be given to pregnant women only if clearly needed.
- It is not known whether nitrates enter breast milk; therefore, nitrates must be used with caution in women who are breastfeeding.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Need help identifying pills and medications?
Use the pill identifier tool on RxList.