- What Kind of Doctor Do I Need? Slideshow
- Dental (Oral) Health Quiz
- Causes of a Heart Attack Slideshow
- What are nitrates (nitrate medications)?
- What are examples of nitrates available in the United States?
- What are the side effects of nitrates?
- Are nitrates safe to take during pregnancy or while breastfeeding?
- What drugs interact with nitrates?
- What formulations of nitrates are available?
- How do nitrates work?
What are nitrates (nitrate medications)?
What are examples of nitrates available in the United States?
Examples of generic and brand names of nitrates include:
- nitroglycerin sublingual tablet (Nitrostat)
- nitroglycerin lingual aerosol (Nitromist)
- nitrolinglycerin pumpspray (Nitrolingual Pumpsprapy)
- nitroglycerin lingual (Nitrolingual Pumpspray)
- nitroglycerin transdermal ointment (Nitro-Bid)
- nitroglycerin transdermal infusion system (Nitro-Dur)
- nitroglycerin transdermal therapeutic system (Transderm-Nitro)
- Nitroglycerin oral capsule (Nitro-Time)
- nitroglycerin intravenous
- isosorbide mononitrate and dinitrate (Isordil, Isordil Titradose, Dilatrate-SR))
What are the side effects of nitrates?
Common side effects of nitrates include:
- Burning and tingling under the tongue
- Low blood pressure
Other side effects include:
- Skin irritation
- Topical allergic reactions may also occur with the topical patch form
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Need help identifying pills and medications?
Use the pill identifier tool on RxList.