Patient Comments: Night Sweats - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with night sweats.

Comment from: rainybug, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I am 71. My periods stopped at 38. At age 28 I was on birth control pills for a year. They caused me to have numerous blood clots in my left leg and both ovaries. I cannot take hormones. From age 38 to age 70 I had 3 hot flashes; it was really bad and I couldn"t move to get up to the bathroom. Now I am on several meds for blood pressure, sugar and pain. I have night sweats so bad the whole bed is wet and I am freezing. I have talked to 2 doctors, one says it can"t be menopause and one says it could be. I think it is side effect of medicines I am on.

Comment from: Kathy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I had been taking hormones and HRT (hormone replacement therapy), until for an unrelated problem I cutoff all medicine I was taking, including Premarin. I have intermittent hot flashes during the day (some severe) and serious night sweating which wakes me up every 2 or 3 hours and exhausts and drains my energy.

Comment from: betty, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I woke up in the middle of the night with wet pajamas. The room temperature was 66 and I only had a light quilt. I got up to go the bathroom. On the stool, I started to get dizzy. I went down to the floor and slowly struggled to crawl back to my bedroom. I finally made it. I lay on the bed still soaking wet. Finally, I cooled off and was able to sleep again. I felt better in the morning but still had low blood pressure (106). The pajamas were dry in the morning. I do have atrial fibrillation.

Comment from: Kelizrin, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

I am 22 years old and haven been woken up about every 3 to 4 hours drenched in sweat and freezing, for about 85% of the past 4 years. I"ve tried a variety of methods to keep myself from sweating - no covers, no pajamas, only light covers/pajamas, 100% natural bedding/pajamas, different hormonal birth control, no hormonal birth control, fans, high a/c, no a/c- yet this monster has followed me around the entire east coast, into the Caribbean and multiple parts of Europe. I"m not over or under weight, regularly active, I run a little more than 4 miles and lightly weight train 3 to 4 times a week. I"ve always eaten well and when I go to my general practitioner/obstetrician/gynecologist/college clinic they have nothing to tell me except that I"m fine and healthy. My skin is terrible because of the constant sweat, dehydration and lack of sleep and I really can"t spend the time/energy to wash my sheets every day anymore. Let alone the constant lack of concentration and motivation because I"m always so tired. Let me know if anyone has answers for this!

Comment from: Had40something, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I have been waking up around 4am cold and soaked. Clearly I am having night sweats but only wake up because I am now drenched and cold. I recently changed to a progesterone only birth control due to high blood pressure. I am also currently taking a low dose (short term) prednisone for asthma exacerbation.

Comment from: Marli, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I've been taking Premarin for a few years but the last month or so I don"t feel well. I am sweating although it's cold, I am getting hot flushes and can't sleep through. I am on 0,625 of Premarin a day.

Comment from: Arlene, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 21

Every 2 hours my whole body is sweating.

Night Sweats - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your night sweats?
Night Sweats - Causes Question: What caused your night sweats?
Night Sweats - Menopause Question: Did you have night sweats during menopause? If so, please share your experience, including remedies.