Patient Comments: Night Sweats - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with night sweats.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

I'm a 27-year-old female with nightly night sweats despite the fact that I run a fan, and I wear a tank top and shorts for pajamas year-round. My dad and older brother say they tend to sweat a lot when they sleep, so it could be a genetic thing for me. I wake up usually after four hours of sleep completely drenched where it is actually dripping down my chest and legs. I usually either change clothes or roll to a dry part of my bed, ripping the covers off until I freeze and need them again. I experience no other abnormalities otherwise and am very fit. I do, however, tend to have very vivid dreams. Also, I have become more anxious in my "old" age (versus when I was in college), so perhaps I'm stressing myself out to the point of sweating at night.

Comment from: summitman, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 13

I'm a 53-year-old male. I suffer from night sweats almost nightly. I can completely soak my side of the bed. I wake up cold and soaking wet. At times, I have to get up and change my wet clothing. I find it necessary to sleep in some type of clothing so I don't soak the mattress and blankets. I don't know if there's a "connection" or not, but I also have what I call "frustrating" dreams. In my dreams, I am extremely frustrated about something. When I wake up and reflect on my dreams, they make absolutely no sense. It is getting to the point that I hate to go to bed at night, and I want to take something like Excedrin PM at bedtime to try and insure sound sleep. I've had these sweats for years off and on, but in the last year, they have increased to a nightly event. My health is in general good condition.

Comment from: janis, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: April 13

My mother wakes up sweating profusely just about every night. It occurs around 4 a.m. to 6 a.m. She has to change bedclothes and even sheets. They are soaked. Sometimes it happens again around 7 a.m. She is 86 years old and diabetic. We check her sugar when this occurs, and it is not low (high 100s and low-to-mid 200s). This began when she was hospitalized two months ago with asthmatic bronchitis and pneumonia and was on steroids. She has been off the steroids for several weeks, but the night sweats continue. She has also not been able to get rid of the incessant, unproductive cough. Her doctors are at a loss to explain.

Comment from: Terry, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 13

I'm a 53-year-old male. I've been having night sweats on and off for years. Weeks may pass without sweating, and then I may wake three or four times the following week with night sweats. Last night, I woke at 3 a.m. with horrible sweating from head to toe. I usually get up and dry myself with a towel, which I keep next to the bed. It's as if someone has tipped water over me. I'm soaked, and so are the sheets. I usually then lie on a towel once I'm back in bed. I consider myself in good health but with slightly elevated blood pressure, which I am on medication to treat. My occupation as a locomotive engineer requires lots of unusual shifts, which I have been doing for 33 years. I have strange sleep patterns, and sometimes I do not get more than four hours per day.

Comment from: GMP, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

I am a 20-year-old college student with chronic anemia. (I'm tired most of the time.) Because of this, I usually have no trouble getting to sleep and staying asleep. I also, however, have bad dust and pollen allergies, which result in asthma and frequent sinus infections. For my most recent sinus infection (which I am still finishing the antibiotics for), I was prescribed a new kind of antibiotic (they usually give me a Z-pack, but those stopped working for me) called clarithromycin, a 10-day antibiotic I've never tried before. Ever since I started taking it, I've been moody, had stomach pains, lost my appetite (a big deal for me; I'm always hungry) and, I've been having severe night sweats. They usually wake me with a start in the middle of the night, and I am soaked with sweat from the neck down. I changed my pajamas four times last night. The only way I stop sweating is if I use no covers in my freezing cold dorm room, but then I freeze and cannot fall asleep. This is causing me to lose even more sleep than usual, and it is a very frustrating mystery for me! I wish they would just stop! I only hope they are connected to the antibiotics and not some other underlying issue.

Comment from: Kelpatterson, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 09

I came down with an illness that kept me sitting up in a chair in order to breathe. I had fever, vomiting, and difficulty breathing. Following the 6 weeks, after I began getting up and around again, I started having very unusual symptoms. Such as incontinence, joint muscle pain, vision loss, weakness, numbing in my hands, calves and feet. I walked with a cane because I began having drop attacks. Six months later I lost the use of my legs and ended up wheelchair bound. I have since then graduated from my wheelchair to arm brace/crutches. I have been sick with esophageal pain, weight loss, difficulty eating, chest pain and shortness of breath, just to name a few. I currently have no immune system and receiving IVIG blood transfusions every month. I am still very weak, have no energy, and constantly fatigued. How do I go about getting the proper tests done. I want to make sure I do not have any other underlying illness. They have still yet to find the origin of my physical pain. They stated that my physical pain is not related to my lack of T-cells.

Night Sweats - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your night sweats?
Night Sweats - Causes Question: What caused your night sweats?
Night Sweats - Menopause Question: Did you have night sweats during menopause? If so, please share your experience, including remedies.