Patient Comments: Night Sweats - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with night sweats.

Comment from: Rosie Taylor, 65-74 (Patient) Published: April 14

I suffer from severe hot flashes that drench my nightwear and are repeated during the daytime. I also have feelings of nausea that prevent me from eating normally. These symptoms are getting progressively worse. I am 72 years old and was diagnosed with epilepsy two years ago.

Comment from: DLG, 45-54 Female Published: April 08

For the past three to four months, I break out in a full-body sweat, starting from my head on down. It lasts about one to two minutes, and then I get cold. This happens every couple of hours. At night, I wake up dripping wet, then cold. I am a 50-year-old female. I haven't had a period for the last 15 months.

Comment from: Jaye, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I have been experiencing drenching night sweats for more than 12 years now. The condition has stumped dozens of doctors. All causes -- cancer, infection, hormonal, etc. -- have been investigated. It can't be very dangerous as I still consider myself a healthy person.

Comment from: Ciaran, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 25

I'm 32, and for about seven years now, I've been getting sleep sweats. I call it sleep sweats because it happens during the day and night -- whenever I sleep. It only seems to happen from my waist down. When I wake up, me and my sheets are soaking, so much so that it pours down my legs. It's really bugging me.

Comment from: Karen B, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I am a 58-year-old female. I had a total hysterectomy when I was 29 years old. I went through the hot flash times several years ago. Now, two weeks ago, I had a viral flu that was absolutely horrible. The fever and pain was so bad that I popped the ibuprofen more than I should have. Since getting over this flu, I have been having two to three night sweats that are not the same as the hot flashes. I only sweat from my neck down to my chest. I wake up soaking wet but only in that area.

Comment from: Collins, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 23

In the last two months, I have been waking up at 1 a.m. with my clothes completely drenched. It's as if someone has just dipped me in a bucket of water. I change my clothing and go back to sleep to find the above pattern has repeated itself at about 3 a.m. Sometimes, I get a third cycle of the above in one night, and then sometimes I can go for days without the night sweats.

Comment from: kindal, Female (Patient) Published: March 23

I have suddenly started having severe night sweats. I have been on hormone replacement therapy since age 23. (I am now 54 years old.) I've have never had a problem until now. Nothing has changed that I can pinpoint to determine a cause of the night sweats and difficulty sleeping. I take trazadone, but I have taken it for years without any side effects.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I get night sweats about three to four times a month. It is just my upper body, mostly in the neck area.

Comment from: sfxplant, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I occasionally have night sweats where I feel cold and hot at the same time. If I throw the covers off, then I'm suddenly freezing, so I stay covered up and sweat my brains out.

Night Sweats - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your night sweats?
Night Sweats - Causes Question: What caused your night sweats?
Night Sweats - Menopause Question: Did you have night sweats during menopause? If so, please share your experience, including remedies.