Patient Comments: Night Sweats - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with night sweats.

Comment from: janis, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: April 13

My mother wakes up sweating profusely just about every night. It occurs around 4 a.m. to 6 a.m. She has to change bedclothes and even sheets. They are soaked. Sometimes it happens again around 7 a.m. She is 86 years old and diabetic. We check her sugar when this occurs, and it is not low (high 100s and low-to-mid 200s). This began when she was hospitalized two months ago with asthmatic bronchitis and pneumonia and was on steroids. She has been off the steroids for several weeks, but the night sweats continue. She has also not been able to get rid of the incessant, unproductive cough. Her doctors are at a loss to explain.

Comment from: Terry, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 13

I'm a 53-year-old male. I've been having night sweats on and off for years. Weeks may pass without sweating, and then I may wake three or four times the following week with night sweats. Last night, I woke at 3 a.m. with horrible sweating from head to toe. I usually get up and dry myself with a towel, which I keep next to the bed. It's as if someone has tipped water over me. I'm soaked, and so are the sheets. I usually then lie on a towel once I'm back in bed. I consider myself in good health but with slightly elevated blood pressure, which I am on medication to treat. My occupation as a locomotive engineer requires lots of unusual shifts, which I have been doing for 33 years. I have strange sleep patterns, and sometimes I do not get more than four hours per day.

Comment from: GMP, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

I am a 20-year-old college student with chronic anemia. (I'm tired most of the time.) Because of this, I usually have no trouble getting to sleep and staying asleep. I also, however, have bad dust and pollen allergies, which result in asthma and frequent sinus infections. For my most recent sinus infection (which I am still finishing the antibiotics for), I was prescribed a new kind of antibiotic (they usually give me a Z-pack, but those stopped working for me) called clarithromycin, a 10-day antibiotic I've never tried before. Ever since I started taking it, I've been moody, had stomach pains, lost my appetite (a big deal for me; I'm always hungry) and, I've been having severe night sweats. They usually wake me with a start in the middle of the night, and I am soaked with sweat from the neck down. I changed my pajamas four times last night. The only way I stop sweating is if I use no covers in my freezing cold dorm room, but then I freeze and cannot fall asleep. This is causing me to lose even more sleep than usual, and it is a very frustrating mystery for me! I wish they would just stop! I only hope they are connected to the antibiotics and not some other underlying issue.

Comment from: Kelpatterson, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 09

I came down with an illness that kept me sitting up in a chair in order to breathe. I had fever, vomiting, and difficulty breathing. Following the 6 weeks, after I began getting up and around again, I started having very unusual symptoms. Such as incontinence, joint muscle pain, vision loss, weakness, numbing in my hands, calves and feet. I walked with a cane because I began having drop attacks. Six months later I lost the use of my legs and ended up wheelchair bound. I have since then graduated from my wheelchair to arm brace/crutches. I have been sick with esophageal pain, weight loss, difficulty eating, chest pain and shortness of breath, just to name a few. I currently have no immune system and receiving IVIG blood transfusions every month. I am still very weak, have no energy, and constantly fatigued. How do I go about getting the proper tests done. I want to make sure I do not have any other underlying illness. They have still yet to find the origin of my physical pain. They stated that my physical pain is not related to my lack of T-cells.

Comment from: Veteran, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 08

When I mention having night sweats, clinicians look at me as if I have 16 eyes just because I am a male. I have had them for years. Most of the time, I just get uncomfortably hot with no actual sweating. I uncover, and when I cool down, I have to recover because I prefer a very cool bedroom.

Comment from: Jen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

I am a 49 year old female. I have been getting night sweats (from my neck to the chest and on the back only) for about 3 consecutive nights now. There were no sweats on my forehead or anywhere else. I am usually a cold blooded person that needed to wear extra layers to bed. My hand is always cold. I had my blood tested 2 weeks ago and there is no indication that I am having menopause (maybe perimenopausal). I have been stressed lately and also been losing weight (not by choice).

Night Sweats - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your night sweats?
Night Sweats - Causes Question: What caused your night sweats?
Night Sweats - Menopause Question: Did you have night sweats during menopause? If so, please share your experience, including remedies.