Patient Comments: Night Sweats - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with night sweats.

Comment from: Kathy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I had been taking hormones and HRT (hormone replacement therapy), until for an unrelated problem I cutoff all medicine I was taking, including Premarin. I have intermittent hot flashes during the day (some severe) and serious night sweating which wakes me up every 2 or 3 hours and exhausts and drains my energy.

Comment from: betty, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I woke up in the middle of the night with wet pajamas. The room temperature was 66 and I only had a light quilt. I got up to go the bathroom. On the stool, I started to get dizzy. I went down to the floor and slowly struggled to crawl back to my bedroom. I finally made it. I lay on the bed still soaking wet. Finally, I cooled off and was able to sleep again. I felt better in the morning but still had low blood pressure (106). The pajamas were dry in the morning. I do have atrial fibrillation.

Comment from: Kelizrin, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

I am 22 years old and haven been woken up about every 3 to 4 hours drenched in sweat and freezing, for about 85% of the past 4 years. I"ve tried a variety of methods to keep myself from sweating - no covers, no pajamas, only light covers/pajamas, 100% natural bedding/pajamas, different hormonal birth control, no hormonal birth control, fans, high a/c, no a/c- yet this monster has followed me around the entire east coast, into the Caribbean and multiple parts of Europe. I"m not over or under weight, regularly active, I run a little more than 4 miles and lightly weight train 3 to 4 times a week. I"ve always eaten well and when I go to my general practitioner/obstetrician/gynecologist/college clinic they have nothing to tell me except that I"m fine and healthy. My skin is terrible because of the constant sweat, dehydration and lack of sleep and I really can"t spend the time/energy to wash my sheets every day anymore. Let alone the constant lack of concentration and motivation because I"m always so tired. Let me know if anyone has answers for this!

Comment from: Had40something, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I have been waking up around 4am cold and soaked. Clearly I am having night sweats but only wake up because I am now drenched and cold. I recently changed to a progesterone only birth control due to high blood pressure. I am also currently taking a low dose (short term) prednisone for asthma exacerbation.

Comment from: hot, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I have had night sweats for 4 years. The bedroom is 62 degrees, I am cold when I go to bed and as soon as I fall asleep I start to sweat. I hate it and I wake multiple times every night dripping in sweat. I never have hot flashes during the day. I know because of my age it is assumed to be due to menopause but I have never been convinced of that.

Comment from: Blonde7, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

I'm 29 years old and have several night sweats a night. I have tried sleeping in lighter clothing with only the sheet as a cover, but I am never hot when these occur. I can be sleeping out of the covers and still get a night sweat. I have a hard time sleeping anyway, and when I finally do fall asleep I wake up suddenly soaked. Everything I find is related to menopause, I just wish someone could help me figure out what to do.

Comment from: joicieg, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I am a 77 year old lymphoma patient. I have/had hot flashes since I was 49 years old and started menopause. I was on Prempro until a year or so ago, when I was diagnosed with non-Hodgkins lymphoma and found out the flashes had nothing to do with menopause. I wish/hope gynecologists would have women tested to see if they have cancer or their flashes are associated with lymphoma, if it lasts longer than 5 years.

Night Sweats - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your night sweats?
Night Sweats - Causes Question: What caused your night sweats?
Night Sweats - Menopause Question: Did you have night sweats during menopause? If so, please share your experience, including remedies.