Patient Comments: Night Sweats - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with night sweats.

Comment from: Dolly1957, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I just had a knee replacement and am taking Norco and warfarin. I am having night sweats and wondering if either of these medicines may be causing them.

Comment from: hot, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I have had night sweats for 4 years. The bedroom is 62 degrees, I am cold when I go to bed and as soon as I fall asleep I start to sweat. I hate it and I wake multiple times every night dripping in sweat. I never have hot flashes during the day. I know because of my age it is assumed to be due to menopause but I have never been convinced of that.

Comment from: Blonde7, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

I'm 29 years old and have several night sweats a night. I have tried sleeping in lighter clothing with only the sheet as a cover, but I am never hot when these occur. I can be sleeping out of the covers and still get a night sweat. I have a hard time sleeping anyway, and when I finally do fall asleep I wake up suddenly soaked. Everything I find is related to menopause, I just wish someone could help me figure out what to do.

Comment from: joicieg, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I am a 77 year old lymphoma patient. I have/had hot flashes since I was 49 years old and started menopause. I was on Prempro until a year or so ago, when I was diagnosed with non-Hodgkins lymphoma and found out the flashes had nothing to do with menopause. I wish/hope gynecologists would have women tested to see if they have cancer or their flashes are associated with lymphoma, if it lasts longer than 5 years.

Comment from: bado, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 13

I too suffer from night sweats for seemingly years now. Trying to figure out what is causing it is a little scary. I would like to know the impact of dietary sodium intake and kidney functioning. It does seem when I consume less salt, I sweat less and sometimes not at all.

Comment from: mikel, 55-64 (Patient) Published: January 21

It drives me mad to keep waking in bed with night sweats, sometimes 2 to 5 times at night. I'm a 60 years old male.

Comment from: bobby, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: November 01

I am undergoing a weaning down program (2 weeks) for clonazepam used for sleep. I am having night sweats and a hot sensation from forehead to chest area mostly during the night.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

I'm a 27-year-old female with nightly night sweats despite the fact that I run a fan, and I wear a tank top and shorts for pajamas year-round. My dad and older brother say they tend to sweat a lot when they sleep, so it could be a genetic thing for me. I wake up usually after four hours of sleep completely drenched where it is actually dripping down my chest and legs. I usually either change clothes or roll to a dry part of my bed, ripping the covers off until I freeze and need them again. I experience no other abnormalities otherwise and am very fit. I do, however, tend to have very vivid dreams. Also, I have become more anxious in my "old" age (versus when I was in college), so perhaps I'm stressing myself out to the point of sweating at night.

Comment from: summitman, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 13

I'm a 53-year-old male. I suffer from night sweats almost nightly. I can completely soak my side of the bed. I wake up cold and soaking wet. At times, I have to get up and change my wet clothing. I find it necessary to sleep in some type of clothing so I don't soak the mattress and blankets. I don't know if there's a "connection" or not, but I also have what I call "frustrating" dreams. In my dreams, I am extremely frustrated about something. When I wake up and reflect on my dreams, they make absolutely no sense. It is getting to the point that I hate to go to bed at night, and I want to take something like Excedrin PM at bedtime to try and insure sound sleep. I've had these sweats for years off and on, but in the last year, they have increased to a nightly event. My health is in general good condition.

Night Sweats - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your night sweats?
Night Sweats - Causes Question: What caused your night sweats?
Night Sweats - Menopause Question: Did you have night sweats during menopause? If so, please share your experience, including remedies.