Patient Comments: Night Sweats - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with night sweats.

Comment from: quietman, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 31

My son is 24 years old and sweats so bad in his sleep that it looks like someone has thrown a bucket of water over him; this occurs every night. He is a chef in a hotel so he sweats while he is at work which is normal. His bedroom is in no way too warm and there is always a window open for fresh air. Apart from that he is never sick but refuses to go to see our general physician or any other doctor for that matter.

Comment from: JulieM., 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 24

Kelizrin, I am happy to have found you. Since my mid 20s I have been experiencing exactly everything you said with the night sweats and been told by doctors it was menopause. It couldn't be menopause. I got my first symptoms way too soon in life for it to be menopause. I wish I had answers for you, but doctors don't seem to be concerned about my situation either. I'm just thankful to find someone else who has experienced this as young as their 20s because I'm tired of doctors making me out to just be crazy when I tell them it isn't menopause. Sleeping in loose clothing, no clothing, AC running with a ceiling fan, nothing works. I am still waking up drenched every single night.

Comment from: mrbobb1939, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: November 19

I'm a 75 year old male in reasonably good health, but I've been having night sweats off and on now for nearly 3 to 4 months. My physician has sent me for many tests, CAT scan, blood work, etc., but there is nothing to indicate the reason for the night sweats.

Comment from: Brigitte, Female (Patient) Published: November 05

I have severe night sweats. I asked my gynecologist to give me a prescription, she did but it seemed to me that it made the sweats way more severe, even the first week. So I stopped taking them. Today is October 30th and last night I was up 10 times to turn on the air conditioner, ceiling fan and I have a fan on a stool right by my bed. I feel this is way too ridiculous and extreme sweats. I started night sweats after I had my last child at the age of 36, but these sweats are super severe. I could be standing here talking to a neighbor and I start drenching, it is pretty embarrassing. I will be 54 in December and this is absolutely unbelievable to me, sometimes I think I am being punished, goodness! My in-law cousin told me to go to a health food store and get some kind of yam root or sweet potato root pills that is supposed to be good for these severe heat sweats. I want to try something natural and healthy.

Comment from: CH, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

Recently I've been having sweats while sleeping and not just at night. This has been a long term issue since I was in my 30s. I am now 51. After a 3 year hiatus they are back. I am not going through menopause because I had a hysterectomy when I was 40. No doctor I've seen is willing to take my condition seriously.

Comment from: Sgc123, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I am 25 and have recently been having really bad night sweats and what seems to be like a sleep paralysis (I am having that feeling when you need to wake up to stop something horrible from happening, but you can't move your body or even speak). My night sweats are not little, my legs have been drenched in sweat, my arms, my stomach, everything! I recently had my appendix out (2 weeks ago) and I am still having pain where my muscle was cut above the pubic bone. Not sure if this could be causing my body some distress and making it go crazy at night or what.

Comment from: rainybug, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I am 71. My periods stopped at 38. At age 28 I was on birth control pills for a year. They caused me to have numerous blood clots in my left leg and both ovaries. I cannot take hormones. From age 38 to age 70 I had 3 hot flashes; it was really bad and I couldn"t move to get up to the bathroom. Now I am on several meds for blood pressure, sugar and pain. I have night sweats so bad the whole bed is wet and I am freezing. I have talked to 2 doctors, one says it can"t be menopause and one says it could be. I think it is side effect of medicines I am on.

Night Sweats - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your night sweats?
Night Sweats - Causes Question: What caused your night sweats?
Night Sweats - Menopause Question: Did you have night sweats during menopause? If so, please share your experience, including remedies.