Patient Comments: Night Sweats - Causes

What caused your night sweats?

Comment from: Jerricho, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 21

My night sweats were due to leukemia. I had blamed them on getting a new foam mattress.

Comment from: VIRGINIA, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I am in good health but I get cold sweet. I have asked my doctor but he says nothing, it could be because I am depresses over the loss of my mother, I do not know. But I wake up all wet sometimes in the middle of the night, and my room is freezing cold.

Comment from: aquaman, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 07

My 60 year old husband has been experiencing night sweats for about one month. He wakes up to wet pillowcases and sheets only in the chest area. He has been suffering from neurological pain in his shoulder as well as taking an oral medicine to control blood sugar; we are hoping one of these are the reason he sweats at night.

Comment from: Getting older, (Patient) Published: October 27

I started having night sweats right when I stopped drinking alcohol. I had been consuming a six pack a day for about 10 years. The sweats eventually stopped after about a month. They have started back up but I believe it is because I now have diverticulitis. Since I stopped drinking, I found out I was hungry for food and began eating all of the wrong foods which caused major constipation to the point of diverticulitis. So maybe the sweats are because of the fever kicking in to kill the infection.

Comment from: Hollie, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: June 20

Night sweats, skin itching, and low grade fever are signs of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. Very difficult for doctors to diagnose, so be persistent. Mine was stage 4 when I found it.

Comment from: CancerTodd, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 08

Night sweats were the first real sign I had that I had cancer. Stage 4 B and T cell lymphoma as well as a rare blood disease called HLH (hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis). Twenty six Rounds of chemotherapy and free at last! Night sweats saved my life.

Comment from: Molly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I have been experiencing night sweats quite often recently. I wake up absolutely soaked. My body, pajamas, the sheets, and bed are soaked. Due to a hysterectomy at the age of forty, I went through menopause in my early forties so I know this is not the cause. I like a cool bedroom so that is not the issue.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 22

I am a 61 year old male, I have been waking up every night in a sweat in my chest area and have had to change my shirt because it is soaked. I have had this for years, off and on. I don"t know what the cause is.

Comment from: steve, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 31

A week ago I woke up around 4 or 5 am and I was wet from head to toe with sweat. It only happened once. I recently learned I have slightly high blood pressure of 140/90+.

Night Sweats - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with night sweats.
Night Sweats - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your night sweats?
Night Sweats - Menopause Question: Did you have night sweats during menopause? If so, please share your experience, including remedies.