Patient Comments: Night Sweats - Treatment

What was the treatment for your night sweats?

Comment from: JD, Male (Patient) Published: May 13

I had the same problem; night sweats. I tried everything. I came across an article that said to drink pomegranate juice before going to bed. I thought the article was nuts but I bought some anyway and it worked a miracle. I haven't had sweats for a few years since I took it. I only took it for a short while also. I have no idea how it works and I couldn't find any information to explain it. Give it a shot.

Comment from: tea7540, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 14

I was finally diagnosed with a benign pituitary tumor about the size of a golf ball which caused my neight sweats and was starting to affect my vision. The doctors had to remove my pituitary gland along with the tumor.

Comment from: gramjam, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 06

I wake up 2 or 3 times a night with excessive sweating. It runs off of me. I have found some relief using a Chillow pillow which is a pillow you can put water in and cool in refrigerator. If I keep my head and hands on it, it seems to give some relief to my whole body.

Comment from: cnuttallmd, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 04

As a physician who's experienced night sweats all my life, I found this discussion to be not very useful. My mother also experienced night sweats all her life until she died at age 79. I suspect I have idiopathic night sweats, meaning that the doctor is an idiot and the patient is pathetic. My night sweats occur within the first few minutes of falling asleep. The profuse seating is largely confined to my head. I believe it's known that body temperature falls during sleep. So I think my night sweats are an attempt by my body to reset my thermostat. I had night sweats when I was young and healthy, after I developed obstructive sleep apnea and hypothyroidism. Correcting those conditions has had no effect on the night sweats. Now I cover my pillow with a towel every night and wash it every day.

Comment from: naydacoki, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

I am a 67 year old black woman. I'm one of the lucky women like my mother and has never had menopause. I had a hysterectomy (years ago) leaving the ovaries intact, (which they can't find now) and never had menopausal symptoms. One day, 20 years ago I woke up in the middle of the night drenched down and said to myself, wow, menopause came on quick, but low and behold it was appendicitis. Now I was told by doctors I have an overactive thyroid and urine infection (taking meds for both) and for days I have had night sweats. The doctors say it's just because I'm ill, so I will continue to sleep with towels on my pillow and under me to catch all the sweat until we find out what's going on.

Comment from: sar, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

Sometimes a simple deficiency of vitamin D and calcium can cause hot sweats. It is worth trying (at least 3 months).

Comment from: rw, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 31

I've had leukemia since the end of January. I've had night sweats. The only time I don't sweat at night is when I have chemo.

Comment from: gee, 55-64 Female Published: March 20

I suffer from hot flashes and night sweats. I wake up with the urge to use the bathroom and suffer a terrible hot flash. I feel as though my health care providers don't listen when I explain how badly I suffer with this problem (more than 20 times a day). I don't believe that a lack of estrogen is associated with hot flashes when I have the urge to use the restroom.

Night Sweats - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with night sweats.
Night Sweats - Causes Question: What caused your night sweats?
Night Sweats - Menopause Question: Did you have night sweats during menopause? If so, please share your experience, including remedies.