Night Sweats Index
Night sweats are severe hot flashes that occur at night and result in a drenching sweat. In order to distinguish night sweats that arise from medical causes from those that occur because one's surroundings are too warm, doctors generally refer to true night sweats as severe hot flashes occurring at night that can drench sleepwear and sheets, which are not related to an overheated environment. Some of the causes of night sweats in women is menopause. Night sweats in men may be caused by low testosterone or low-T. Other causes of night sweats in people are infections like TB, endocarditis, diverticulitis, appendicitis, and AIDS/HIV; cancers, medications, like antidepressants, aspirin, acetaminophen, sildenafil (Viagra), and prednisone; hormonal disorders, and neurological disorders like stroke.
Patient Discussions - Viewers share their comments
The Menopause Quiz challenges your knowledge about the time in a woman’s life when menstruation ceases. Menopause can bring many...learn more »
What happens within the body when a person develops bronchitis? Take this quick quiz to learn the causes, symptoms, treatments,...learn more »
- prednisone, Deltasone, Liquid Pred
- acetaminophen, Tylenol, Tylenol Arthritis Pain, Tylenol Ext, Little Fevers Children's Fever/Pain
- sildenafil, Viagra
- aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid, Bayer, Ecotrin, and others)
Swollen Lymph Nodes
Lymph nodes help the body's immune system fight infections. Causes of swollen lymph nodes (glands) may include infection (viral,...learn more »
Leukemia is a type of cancer of the blood cells in which the growth and development of the blood cells are abnormal. Strictly...learn more »
In This Article
- Leukemia facts
- What is leukemia? What are the different types of leukemia?
- What causes leukemia? Is leukemia hereditary?
- What are leukemia risk factors?
- What are leukemia symptoms and signs?
- How do physicians diagnose leukemia?
- What is the treatment for leukemia?
- What are complications of leukemia?
- What is the prognosis of leukemia?
- Is it possible to prevent leukemia?
- What support groups are available for people with leukemia?
- What research is being done on leukemia?
Appendicitis is an inflammation of the appendix. Appendicitis often causes fever, loss of appetite, and right lower quadrant...learn more »
In This Article
- Appendicitis facts
- What is the appendix?
- What is appendicitis and what causes appendicitis?
- What are the symptoms of appendicitis?
- How is appendicitis diagnosed?
- Imaging studies to diagnosis appendicitis
- Why can it be difficult to diagnose appendicitis?
- What is stump appendicitis
- What are the complications of appendicitis?
- What other conditions can mimic appendicitis?
- How is appendicitis treated?
- How is an appendectomy done?
- What are the complications of appendectomy?
- Are there long-term consequences of appendectomy?
- What is new about appendicitis?
Menopause is the time in a woman's life when menstrual periods permanently stop, also called the "change of life." Menopause...learn more »