Niacin And Niacinamide (Vitamin B3)
What other names is Niacin And Niacinamide (vitamin B3) known by?
3-Pyridine Carboxamide, 3-Pyridinecarboxylic Acid, Acide Nicotinique, Acide Pyridine-Carboxylique-3, Amide de l'Acide Nicotinique, Anti-Blacktongue Factor, Antipellagra Factor, B Complex Vitamin, Complexe de Vitamines B, Facteur Anti-Pellagre, Niacin
-Niacinamide, Niacin/Niacinamide, Niacina y Niacinamida, Niacinamide, Niacine, Niacine et Niacinamide, Nicamid, Nicosedine, Nicotinamide, Nicotinic Acid, Nicotinic Acid Amide, Nicotylamidum, Pellagra Preventing Factor, Vitamin B3, Vitamin PP, Vitamina B3, Vitamine B3, Vitamine PP.
What is Niacin And Niacinamide (vitamin B3)?
Niacin and niacinamide are forms of Vitamin B3. Vitamin B3 is found in many foods including yeast, meat, fish, milk, eggs, green vegetables, beans, and cereal grains. Niacin and niacinamide are also found in many vitamin B complex supplements with other B vitamins.
- Treatment and prevention of niacin deficiency, and certain conditions related to niacin deficiency such as pellagra.
- High cholesterol. Only niacin seems to lower cholesterol, not niacinamide.
Possibly Effective for...
- Heart disease, including hardening of the arteries (atherosclerosis).
- Reducing the risk of a second heart attack in men with heart or circulatory disorders.
- Diarrhea from an infection called cholera.
- Diabetes, types 1 and 2.
- Prevention of cataracts, an eye condition.
- Alzheimer's disease. People who consume more niacin in foods and from a multivitamin seem to have a lower risk of getting Alzheimer's disease compared to people who consume less niacin. But there is no evidence that taking a niacin supplement is beneficial for preventing Alzheimer's disease.
Insufficient Evidence to Rate Effectiveness for...
Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database rates effectiveness based on scientific evidence according to the following scale: Effective, Likely Effective, Possibly Effective, Possibly Ineffective, Likely Ineffective, and Insufficient Evidence to Rate (detailed description of each of the ratings).