Patient Comments: Neutropenia - Treatments

How did you treat your neutropenia?

Comment from: Sonia, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I"ve had neutropenia for a number of years. The worst time for me is winter where I am sick with viruses for about 3 months on and off. My doctor and dietician have encouraged me to eat a healthy plant based, whole foods diet, as well as staying away from populated areas like shopping centers and schools over the colder months, getting plenty of rest and fluids and washing hands regularly. After 3 months on a plant based diet, I noticed the length and severity of the viruses shortened a little and I"m not as bed-ridden as I was. My red blood cell count (among other things) has also improved and I"m in the middle of the normal range for the first time in years. Another benefit of my diet change.

Comment from: Colleen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I was diagnosed with cyclical neutropenia after repeated abscesses under my arm and on my back, then strep throat. By this time the hematologist was having me do CBC blood work twice a week. I have never had chemo or cancer for that matter. So it is unclear as to why I got neutropenia. I am on weekly self-injected neupogen. It has helped with the infections. I stopped taking it for three weeks and manifested abscesses again. SO it looks like it may be a lifetime thing.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 16

My husband's white blood count had been dropping for years. He was diagnosed with MDS, his form is neutropenia. He was treated with neulasta once a month for 16 months until it caused his spleen to enlarge and had a threat of rupturing. They have discontinued the Neulasta and he started this week on a Chemotherapy drug called Vidaza - which is supposed to target the bad white blood cells, hopefully get rid of them and let the good ones to grow.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 09

My brother has recently died after the doctors eventually found out what it was after 6 years on every treatment going from Chemo to shots of B12. The last one before he went into the IVU was 6000 extra calories and also direct injections into his stomach. He was in there for pneumonia and never recovered a few weeks later. He was down to around 5 stone and was a fighter. They told him that they released him from the hospital too soon and if he had been left in there they may have helped him more. It was said he had an angry cell that destroyed any white cells in his body and they couldn't do anything now.

Comment from: sylvia, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 20

I have neutropenia. I was getting lots of infections. I'm now on Neulasta injections. They make me feel terrible for a week, but I don't get infections, so it's the better of two evils.

Comment from: imdb, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I have recently been diagnosed with Neutropenia after having low white blood cell count most (if not all) of my life. After a bone marrow biopsy, shots of Neuprogene (sp?), and multiple blood tests, my doctor has determined that this is just the way I am. Other than being fatigued (and this could be from anything), I feel fine. I get occasional mouth sores, but am a pretty healthy person overall. Take heart. If I hadn't been diagnosed for a sinus infection, I would have been none the wiser.

Comment from: starmidnite, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 17

My daughter has always had bad staph infections in the diaper area. Recently, she had strep throat and had a fever for more than a week. She was hospitalized and was diagnosed with neutropenia. Now they have no answers and no plan of care.

Neutropenia - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with neutropenia
Neutropenia - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your neutropenia?
Neutropenia - Diagnosis Question: In addition to blood tests, what other types of tests or exams did you have to determine the cause of your neutropenia?