Patient Comments: Neutropenia - Treatments

How did you treat your neutropenia?

Comment from: Mak, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I have had neutropenia all my life. My neutrophils are very low. I suffer mouth ulsers and strep throat a lot. I am constantly washing my hands to avoid getting germs, this helps. I also take cayenne pepper regularly, it kills bacteria. People with neutropenia cannot fight bacteria so cayenne pepper does this for us.

Comment from: Theresa Feichtinger, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 26

When I was first diagnosed with neutropenia I would get very bad ulcers in my mouth and be sick all the time. I am not allowed to run a fever. I have had 3 bone marrows done and am working on the fourth. I had to give myself shots to bring up my level. I can not find out why I have this. I am continually seeing oncology doctors. My count has gone very low even with the flu. I get big boils on my head. I almost had to be put on IV infusion. I had to have my tonsils out 2 times because I was so sick.

Comment from: Lindsey, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 20

7 years I was admitted to hospital as an emergency following first chemotherapy with an excessive temperature and had started fitting. I was told my white cell count was immeasurable and that I was in the danger zone. I have recently found out I was resuscitated. I spent 5 days in hospital with countless medications and received 2 pints of blood and a nightly injection to boost white cell production. Once my count had recovered I discussed with my oncologists the risks of continuing with the chemotherapy and we agreed to try 50% plus the injection to boost white cell production. This was successful and I had no further adverse reaction.

Neutropenia - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with neutropenia
Neutropenia - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your neutropenia?
Neutropenia - Diagnosis Question: In addition to blood tests, what other types of tests or exams did you have to determine the cause of your neutropenia?