Patient Comments: Neutropenia - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with neutropenia

Comment from: Ted, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 28

I was on 1500 mg of Epilim a day. I was advised by a pharmacist that this can cause neutropenia. Earlier this year I went into septic shock from cellulitis. I thought I was going to die, I didn't know what was happening to me. I should have called an ambulance. Also I have had a chronic case of fungal infection in my groin, it even got on my hand. I had it for over 8 months. I couldn't get rid of it, had to be treated with Sporanox which worked. Also I have had sore throat for a while, and I didn't understand why it wouldn't heal. Also I have a sinus condition and since being off Epilim my sinus is much better and I can breathe better. I believe I was suffering a low white cell count. Doctors never informed me of risk of this or what my white cell count was.

Comment from: Tigana Sam, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 08

I recently got results of laboratory tests for neutropenia and my white blood count was low (2.7). I also have fungus on my foot since many years now despite medication. I am most of the time tired all day even if it does not affect my work and studies too much. I also infrequent episodes of enuresis and I suspect I have sickle cell since I did Emmel test when I was a kid it was positive but never followed up.

Comment from: Bobby, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

As a child virtually everything would give me a rash if it touched my skin. My mum would take me to the family doctor asking why out of all the children she had I was the one getting all these rashes and randomly getting fevers. My dad would back my mum up but the doctor wasn't interested. It got to the point one of my older brothers and older sisters were worried about the random infections I got especially when I had bleeding feet but the doctor wasn't interested. I had few problems in my teenage years then around 21 I started to get frequent skin infections including on my face. No one knew why. At 35 I had lots of sinus issues. Again no one knew why. One family doctor was even rude enough to imply I was making them up as my blood test was 'normal'. Eventually at 37 a nurse did a full blood test to check why I was tired and ill. Amongst the results it was noted my neutrophil count was low. The test was repeated but it was normal. This worried a female family doctor who rang me up and told me to get antibiotics if I had any infections. The blood tests were repeated a few more times over the year with varying results from normal to low. I then got all my test results including the 'normal' one which was actually neutropenic, and noticed that my neutrophil counted varied from normal to low. I changed practices and another family doctor claimed my results were normal which I didn't believe as it's not normal to have skin infections, chills, sinus problems and gingivitis randomly. However one of his colleagues said to again get antibiotics if I was ill. I then spoke to a pediatrician I know and she said that it's likely I had cyclical neutropenia and to take hygiene precautions even though the neutropenia is mild. She said she sees it regularly and lots of family doctors just don't know what they are looking at so ignore it, while others are worried about it.

Comment from: Chrishuk, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 28

I have been on morphine for over a year and a half, 130 mg daily for knee pain. Recently I had pre operation tests done for a knee replacement which picked up a low white cell count. I've read that large doses of morphine can suppress white cell production and cause neutropenia. Apart from the knee pain I am relatively fit for a 64 year old male.

Comment from: countrygirl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I have neutropenia, was diagnosed over three years ago. I have a lot of weakness more than anything else, and over the years have had a lot of bladder infections. I recently had a bone marrow biopsy, but nothing was growing in the marrow. We have been doing the watch and wait thing, watching and waiting for T-cell LGL (large granular lymphocyte) leukemia. My doctor did a special test to find this. I still feel awful sometimes, I am on nothing for the neutropenia.

Comment from: vampire5893, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I currently have an ANC of 900 (moderate neutropenia). I developed this a year or two after a Roux-en-Y gastric bypass. I have no B12 or iron deficiency. Bone marrow tests show nothing amiss. I feel fine.

Neutropenia - Treatments Question: How did you treat your neutropenia?
Neutropenia - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your neutropenia?
Neutropenia - Diagnosis Question: In addition to blood tests, what other types of tests or exams did you have to determine the cause of your neutropenia?