Patient Comments: Neutropenia - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with neutropenia

Comment from: hospital1, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

To the article published 08/05 regarding Rythmol and low white blood count, the answer is yes I have a low WBC of 3.8 and a low neutrophil abs of 1.94 my doc is repeating this in 2 weeks. I have a-fib/SVT a rhythm problem and also take Rythmol 150mg 3x a day, let me know if you found out anything.

Comment from: baglady, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 06

When my son was 1yr. he started having blisters in his mouth and throat every 21 days followed by an infection and high fever. We visited every doctor imaginable including children's hospital in phyla. The diagnosis was milk allergy. Although, I never believed it. The condition continued for a number of years, but lessened in severity over the years. He is a healthy 10yr old that still gets blisters usually when he gets a virus/cold etc. I thought I was going crazy all of these years until I saw an article in a column in the newspaper recently.

Comment from: ABIceQueen, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 06

My son was recently diagnosed with this and gave us a scare...We thought initially his cancer had returned from years past, but thank the Lord this was not the case, although the specialist still has no idea why he has this. We are beginning to wonder if years working in the oil patch may have some relationship.

Comment from: Quito, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 05

My daughter has neutropenia. Her neutrophils count varies from 1 to 2%. She was diagnosed after a fever; she also had small blisters in her mouth. She always asks for water, so we presume she is always thirsty. She is 1 year old and nobody really knows why she has it.

Comment from: worriedmom, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 05

My son is just over 1 year old and at 9 months was found to have virus-induced neutropenia. The doctors say there is a good chance it will fix itself in six months or so.

Comment from: Torisnewyork, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

I am 22, and I have recently been diagnosed with neutropenia. I have been taking blood tests, and the doctors still haven't figured what the real problem is. I haven't really had symptoms except for tiredness.

Comment from: smitty, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 21

I'm 70 years old and halfway through six chemotherapy sessions, but neutropenia cropped up, and I'm on hold until the count goes up. My count is well below the required number as of now.

Comment from: lovinlif2max, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

I have been a cyclic neutropenic for 16 years. I found out about it at 48 years of age. It is indeed a very difficult disease to live with, but I have been so blessed by my doctor who is an expert in neutropenia. I think that is the key with this disease: You need to find a doctor who knows what he is doing and then will do it!

Comment from: Karen, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 12

My daughter is 11 years old and has had neutropenia for a year now. Her white cells are low all the time! We check her counts once a month. Everything is looking good right now!

Comment from: themesquiter, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

My white count has been getting progressively lower. Now at 2.5 on a scale of 3.6-10.6. Specifically, my neutrophil absolute has fallen to 1.4 on a scale of 1.8-6.8. I recently read that the heart pill I am on can cause low white count. I take 2 Rythmol SR caps (225mg) per day. (Propafenone). Has anyone else found this, or other drugs, to be the cause of low white count?

Neutropenia - Treatments Question: How did you treat your neutropenia?
Neutropenia - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your neutropenia?
Neutropenia - Diagnosis Question: In addition to blood tests, what other types of tests or exams did you have to determine the cause of your neutropenia?