Patient Comments: Neutropenia - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with neutropenia

Comment from: Mom of Two, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I was diagnosed with neutropenia after a week's hospital stay over a massive sinus infection about a year and a half ago. I have a white cell count of about 1.2 to 1.9 on average. I've had a bone marrow biopsy and multiple other blood tests and my doctor can't find anything causing it. They say I am chronically neutropenic. I have had to receive IV antibiotics the last couple of times I've been sick, which has been twice in the last six weeks. To the woman whose daughter had her tonsils out, I had my tonsils out at 16 and was not diagnosed until 29. I just hope we all have great doctors who know what they are doing.

Comment from: Brenda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I am 61, but was 47 when first diagnosed with Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia. No treatment was required. By 1997, they said the white count did not support the Leukemia diagnosis, so they changed the diagnosis to T-Cell Large Granular Lymphoproliferative Disorder, which in my case, is characterized by a low Neutrophil count. My question is, has anyone experienced chronic gum inflammation with their Neutropenia?

Comment from: hospital1, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

To the article published 08/05 regarding Rythmol and low white blood count, the answer is yes I have a low WBC of 3.8 and a low neutrophil abs of 1.94 my doc is repeating this in 2 weeks. I have a-fib/SVT a rhythm problem and also take Rythmol 150mg 3x a day, let me know if you found out anything.

Comment from: baglady, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 06

When my son was 1yr. he started having blisters in his mouth and throat every 21 days followed by an infection and high fever. We visited every doctor imaginable including children's hospital in phyla. The diagnosis was milk allergy. Although, I never believed it. The condition continued for a number of years, but lessened in severity over the years. He is a healthy 10yr old that still gets blisters usually when he gets a virus/cold etc. I thought I was going crazy all of these years until I saw an article in a column in the newspaper recently.

Comment from: ABIceQueen, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 06

My son was recently diagnosed with this and gave us a scare...We thought initially his cancer had returned from years past, but thank the Lord this was not the case, although the specialist still has no idea why he has this. We are beginning to wonder if years working in the oil patch may have some relationship.

Comment from: Quito, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 05

My daughter has neutropenia. Her neutrophils count varies from 1 to 2%. She was diagnosed after a fever; she also had small blisters in her mouth. She always asks for water, so we presume she is always thirsty. She is 1 year old and nobody really knows why she has it.

Comment from: worriedmom, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 05

My son is just over 1 year old and at 9 months was found to have virus-induced neutropenia. The doctors say there is a good chance it will fix itself in six months or so.

Comment from: Torisnewyork, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

I am 22, and I have recently been diagnosed with neutropenia. I have been taking blood tests, and the doctors still haven't figured what the real problem is. I haven't really had symptoms except for tiredness.

Comment from: smitty, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 21

I'm 70 years old and halfway through six chemotherapy sessions, but neutropenia cropped up, and I'm on hold until the count goes up. My count is well below the required number as of now.

Neutropenia - Treatments Question: How did you treat your neutropenia?
Neutropenia - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your neutropenia?
Neutropenia - Diagnosis Question: In addition to blood tests, what other types of tests or exams did you have to determine the cause of your neutropenia?