Patient Comments: Neutropenia - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with neutropenia

Comment from: neutorpenic, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I was diagnosed with neutropenia at the age of 18, I have been through a battery of tests including many bone marrow biopsies. I am now 31 and no cause has been found, my neutrophil levels range between 0-0.4. I no longer take Neupogen due to a decreasing bone density. I experience chronic gum inflammation, and other mouth sores that I can usually manage. I frequently get colds and stomach bugs that I am able to cope with. I have received every vaccine that I am able to get and function relatively normal under certain infection control precautions.

Comment from: Luigi, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 04

I was diagnosed with neutropenia at age 62. Two years later we are still looking for the cause. Neutrophils are being produced in my bone marrow but killed off by my body defenses. My last blood count was 0.7. I have travelled to many parts of the world and picked up numerous parasites, hepatitis, and beaver fever. I have continuous pain in all parts of my body; chronic fatigue; headaches, nausea and urinary problems.

Comment from: Roux's Mom, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 08

I was diagnosed with benign cyclical neutropenia when I was in my teens. I had a bone marrow biopsy, which showed my marrow is making white cells. The diagnosis was precipitated by a bout I had with mononucleosis. The only real trouble I have had through the years has been cold sores in my mouth on a recurring basis and perhaps a few more colds than normal. When I had breast cancer a few years back, the neutropenia made chemotherapy difficult, because the doctors wanted to see my white count higher when I had the treatments. My count cycles were between about 750 and 1500. Now that I am getting older, it seems I am getting colds more frequently. I know my count cycles about every three weeks and that's how often my cold sores show up and is usually when I get a cold.

Comment from: JanB, 55-64 (Patient) Published: December 05

In reflection I've probably had neutropenia all of my life although only diagnosed at 55. At 18 months old I had convulsions caused from a high temperature from tonsillitis. I've had tonsillitis 4 to 5 times a year all of my life, mouth ulcers and sore throats too. I went to a naturopath 2 years ago and he cured my tonsillitis with herbal remedies. I still am getting mouth ulcers (I gargle with salty water) and getting sick with the flu. I should go back to the naturopath as the stuff worked in enhancing my immune system greatly. Some of it was Goldenseal and Astragalus.

Comment from: AW, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: July 13

I was diagnosed with borderline neutropenia over 2 years ago. I've had a sort of acne on my face and chest since puberty and never been able to get rid of it. I must get some biopsies of the spots done sometime. Also I am quite a moody person that has energetic days and low days. Total count is 3.6 (normal range 4 to 11) and neutrophils is 1.6 (normal range is 1.8 to 7.5). Lately I've had some mouth sores and a flare up of the spots. I must get tests done again soon. When younger I had tonsillitis almost all of the time and was overprescribed penicillin and other antibiotics for years before finally having my tonsils out. This may have been part of the cause. I avoid antibiotics whenever possible these days as they wipe out the bad bugs, and also any good antibodies built up, your whole resistance. I rarely get colds and refuse to get flu shots these days, would rather get a flu than heavy metals in my veins; cancer anyway. I got all travel vaccines once, six injections in one appointment, and had no problems at all.

Neutropenia - Treatments Question: How did you treat your neutropenia?
Neutropenia - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your neutropenia?
Neutropenia - Diagnosis Question: In addition to blood tests, what other types of tests or exams did you have to determine the cause of your neutropenia?