Patient Comments: Necrotizing Fasciitis - Cause

What was the cause of your necrotizing fasciitis?

Comment from: kc00jc04, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

I was diagnosed with necrotizing fasciitis back in March. I"m sure I cut myself on something just not sure exactly where and when because I ended up with 2 sites. I was hospitalized for 5 days. I had 2 surgeries and almost a month of visiting nurses to change my packing. I just went back to work (wounds finally closed) 3 weeks ago and I"m having pain in the area again. No systems of infection, just pain. Don"t worry, I"m calling the doctor tomorrow.

Comment from: Claudia, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 02

After having my ovaries out 4 days after i got fever chills, 2 more days had to do emergency surgery had necrotizing fasciitis 9 days in the hospital came home with my stomach open of 39 cm. with drain tubes in it four months in bed until my stomach closed by it self with my nurses help.

Comment from: froggyp, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

On January 5, 2013, I went to an indoor water park. While going down a body slide I bumped my left elbow, causing a very small scrape. Within four days, I had to be taken to the nearest ER. I was told that is was a red bruise and sent home. On the sixth day, I went to my family doctor with a high fever and huge, swollen arm. I was hospitalized and seen by an infectious disease doctor. After four more days I was transferred to another hospital. After five operations and 18 days in the hospital I was sent home. Thanks to my wonderful doctors, they were able to save my arm. The water park is where I contacted my infection.

Comment from: marimeluisa50, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 27

In 2012, I had flesh-eating bacteria underneath my armpit. The skin was removed and I had a large wound, that just closed about four months ago. It was very dramatic. The infection also left me blind in one eye.

Comment from: Deb, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 07

I had a hysterectomy in 2009 and ended up with necrotizing fascitis in the wound. I have had several surgeries. I feel that I still have abdominal pain due to the necrotizing fasciitis. Will this pain ever go away? It's depressing.

Comment from: AndyC673, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 24

I caught necrotizing fasciitis while I was in Thailand. I was in the sea, a wave took me, and I cut my right foot on a rock/coral on the seabed. I then fell on my right hand and cut that, too.

Comment from: Bessie8, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 14

I caught necrotizing fasciitis during breast reduction surgery.

Comment from: pdlessard, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I cut myself shaving under my armpit and 10 days later. After they misdiagnosed me with cellulitis, I was hospitalized with necrotizing fasciitis.

Comment from: Cammy0523, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I was diagnosed with necrotizing fascitis due to a MRSA infection.

Necrotizing Fasciitis - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your necrotizing fasciitis?
Necrotizing Fasciitis - Signs and Symptoms Question: What were the signs and symptoms of necrotizing fasciitis in you or someone you know?
Necrotizing Fasciitis - Diagnosis Question: Please describe the events that led to a diagnosis of necrotizing fasciitis.
Necrotizing Fasciitis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with this necrotizing fasciitis infection.