Patient Comments: Necrotizing Fasciitis - Signs and Symptoms

What were the signs and symptoms of necrotizing fasciitis in you or someone you know?

Comment from: jjenkins, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 21

In October 2012 I got necrotizing fasciitis from cutting my neck shaving. It attacked my heart and lungs and I came very close to death. I had to have muscle and tissue removed from shoulder and neck. In September 2013 I was going in to surgery to have my hip replaced and at the last minute the doctor saw a small red bump on my hip and was concerned and stopped surgery. The next day my neck started to swell with a lot of pain. The infection from 2012 had got in to the bone in neck and had to be removed. I still have to have hip surgery.

Necrotizing Fasciitis - Cause Question: What was the cause of your necrotizing fasciitis?
Necrotizing Fasciitis - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your necrotizing fasciitis?
Necrotizing Fasciitis - Diagnosis Question: Please describe the events that led to a diagnosis of necrotizing fasciitis.
Necrotizing Fasciitis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with this necrotizing fasciitis infection.