Patient Comments: Neck Pain - Causes

What caused your neck pain?

Comment from: maggie, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 16

An accident 5 years ago, an attic ladder coming down on my head, was the cause of my neck pain. Medications over the years just make me feel spaced out desperate. The doctors blame stress on everything these days, agreed stress does not help, but I know my neck is getting worse. Now don"t want to go to the doctor, I don"t feel I am getting anywhere.

Comment from: Matt, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 21

I am a healthy with perfect annual physicals. I had some wrist arthritis and I had a neck operation for bulging discs C 5-6-7, 3 years ago in January, and bone graft. The pain before the operation was 7 to 8 out of 10. I had steroid injections before and after that eased the pain for a few months. The operating doctor said I would be playing golf in about two months after the operation; not true. The first two years and after my neck pain was 5 to 7 with headaches and dizziness and any exercise took it to a 7. Therapy made the pain worse for days. I have had a second opinion and MRIs; perfect. I take a pill to sleep and hydrocodone, limited dose. I discovered very mild limited neck exercises have helped. This episode has made me weak and exhausted daily. Lack of exercise has weakened my legs.

Comment from: retired, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I have been having neck pain for 4 months. I had an MRI and found to have some disc bulging but no nerve damage. I was put on meloxicam which has caused problems with my blood pressure and blood sugar readings, did not help much either, just dealing with the pain now.

Comment from: Sandy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

When I was 19, I got hit from behind and then again in 2009. I have bulging discs and pinched nerves in my neck, also arthritis from the car accidents. I get numbness in my hands and fingers and have weakness on the left side. I just finished physical therapy and now have more pain. I take pain pills at night to sleep. Just hoping that things will improve.

Comment from: Donna, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

Stress and tension brought on my neck pain. My doctor took X-rays and found arthritis and some calcification at the base of my skull and cervical spine.

Comment from: eddie, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 03

Stretching causes my neck pain.

Comment from: Grivler, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I have herniated discs and degenerative disc disease that cause my neck pain. I have constant headaches and pain that radiates through the front and back and shoulders. Also tingling of the fingers. Very debilitating and all I want is relief.

Comment from: PJ1231, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 05

I woke up a couple of days ago and noticed two bumps on the side of my neck, about 3 inches below my ear lobe. They are kind of hard and movable. Today is the 4 day and there seems to be a little more pain when I move them. One is larger than the other. I have had dizzy spells off and on, usually when get up or moving my head. I have had this problem before. I have had tubes in my ears as a child and I know my hearing is bad.

Neck Pain - Effective Treatments Question: Please describe what treatments have been effective with your neck pain.
Neck Pain - Other Symptoms Question: Besides the obvious, what other symptoms have you experienced with your neck pain?