Patient Comments: Neck Pain - Effective Treatments

Please describe what treatments have been effective with your neck pain.

Comment from: kmartin, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I was diagnosed with cervical spondylosis. The pain took my breath away, radiated down my shoulders and into my arms. I had tingling in my fingers and arms and lost strength, making it impossible to do normal things like opening a door. The doctor prescribed cortisone for inflammation and injections, physical therapy and rest. I also tried acupuncture. After one year and a bad case of gastritis and about 25 lbs. heavier, I had not improved. Finally I decided to do the opposite. I began to exercise, do neck stretching exercises and weight lifting and yoga, all with the intent of increasing circulation, lose the new weight and reduce stress. I also began to take Aleve for the first time, which was fantastic. Today I am practically pain free, having only the occasional crisis which I am sure are caused by tension.

Comment from: cookie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

I started out with terrible neck pain that moved down to my shoulders and then into my arm and my hand. Doctors tried spinal injections, then neck injections, physical therapy, and, of course, tons of painkillers. A brain and spine specialist finally offered an experimental surgery option to me to replace my collapsed c6-7 discs with stainless steel discs. It was an implant made by Medtronic and the surgery is called a cervical arthroplasty. When I awoke from surgery, I had absolutely no pain, and refused to take even an aspirin from the recovery room nurse. It was a lifesaver. I couldn't have lived with the constant pain that I had. If you have cervical disc problems ask your doctor about the procedure.

Comment from: anna, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

After 27 years of continual neck pain, I'm just tired. The DEA (Drug Enforcement Administration) scares doctors, and they are more worried about that, than helping someone like me. I have had 2 surgeries, which left me a bit worse than I felt I was before. I've done all the MRIs, CT scans, and therapies the doctors wanted me to do.

Comment from: Saraemily, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I am 27 and I have been suffering with neck stiffness, dizziness, hull aches in my arms, and daily dull headaches. It's been going on for over four months now. The doctors still seem to think it's some kind of virus, but it's gone on for so long. I feel really weak and barely have the energy to do anything anymore. It's really getting me down. I'm finally getting an MRI scan in my head and spine next week, and I have been trying physiotherapy. But still no improvement.

Comment from: Karen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

I have had neck pain since I was 9 years old. I had lots of chiropractic treatment through the years, got temporary relief; physical therapy, temporary relief. I have right arm pain, right shoulder pain, right chest pain. It hurts all the time inside below right rib cage about level with belly button deep inside.

Comment from: bobb, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 21

I had bad neck and shoulder pain for 9 months and it was driving me crazy. I did physiotherapy, went to the doctor, everything. I was up late looking for an answer on line googling pain. There was a woman I found who practices Eastern medicine. I e-mailed her and told her my symptoms, and she answered me and told me some things to do to help. Within 3 weeks my neck pain is 75 percent better and improving. She was very good.

Comment from: taylor, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

My neck is a mess. I have had steroid shots and they did little to nothing. Sleep is tough. I wish someone had an answer for the pain, not just a description. I have degenerative disk disease.

Neck Pain - Causes Question: What caused your neck pain?
Neck Pain - Other Symptoms Question: Besides the obvious, what other symptoms have you experienced with your neck pain?