Patient Comments: Neck Pain - Effective Treatments

Please describe what treatments have been effective with your neck pain.

Comment from: kmartin, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I was diagnosed with cervical spondylosis. The pain took my breath away, radiated down my shoulders and into my arms. I had tingling in my fingers and arms and lost strength, making it impossible to do normal things like opening a door. The doctor prescribed cortisone for inflammation and injections, physical therapy and rest. I also tried acupuncture. After one year and a bad case of gastritis and about 25 lbs. heavier, I had not improved. Finally I decided to do the opposite. I began to exercise, do neck stretching exercises and weight lifting and yoga, all with the intent of increasing circulation, lose the new weight and reduce stress. I also began to take Aleve for the first time, which was fantastic. Today I am practically pain free, having only the occasional crisis which I am sure are caused by tension.

Comment from: cookie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

I started out with terrible neck pain that moved down to my shoulders and then into my arm and my hand. Doctors tried spinal injections, then neck injections, physical therapy, and, of course, tons of painkillers. A brain and spine specialist finally offered an experimental surgery option to me to replace my collapsed c6-7 discs with stainless steel discs. It was an implant made by Medtronic and the surgery is called a cervical arthroplasty. When I awoke from surgery, I had absolutely no pain, and refused to take even an aspirin from the recovery room nurse. It was a lifesaver. I couldn't have lived with the constant pain that I had. If you have cervical disc problems ask your doctor about the procedure.

Comment from: Karen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

I have had neck pain since I was 9 years old. I had lots of chiropractic treatment through the years, got temporary relief; physical therapy, temporary relief. I have right arm pain, right shoulder pain, right chest pain. It hurts all the time inside below right rib cage about level with belly button deep inside.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 01

This may sound odd, but you may want to consider Lyme disease. This often-misunderstood disease can cause so many symptoms almost anywhere in/on your body, since the bacteria (spirochetes) are cork-screw shaped and can "get" through any cell wall in your body. My husband has been ill with Lyme for at least 3 years (that we know of) and he has had many of your symptoms. Good luck finding a Lyme-literate doctor. Most doctors still think that a 2 or 3 week course of antibiotics "cure" Lyme, but if you've had it for awhile, it may take a year or more. The testing for Lyme is quite inaccurate, with over 60% false-negatives. I don't want to scare you, but do some research maybe not just the regular clinic sites, but dig deeper. Also, contrary to what experts say, Lyme can and has been found in every state and overseas.

Comment from: Sandy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

I had my second neck surgery last July. I had a herniated disc, and a bone spur pushing on my spinal cord, narrowing the nerve hole. The first one I had in 1993 was a piece of cake. I had no problems at all. I was 42 at the time. This time, I was 57. I have had pain ever since. My throat feels like a golf ball with spines on it. I can manage that with nerve medications, but now I have horrid headaches and inner ear pain. My regular doctor was unavailable, and I had to go to urgent care. The doctor said she thinks it is my neck. I have a plate with screws in it. I have to wait to go to my doctor and have another X-ray. This last surgery was quite a bit more involved than the first, and when they go through the front with the incision, they move all your things in there with a retractor than can cause nerve damage. At least I don't pass out when I move my head back or forward anymore.

Comment from: taylor, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

My neck is a mess. I have had steroid shots and they did little to nothing. Sleep is tough. I wish someone had an answer for the pain, not just a description. I have degenerative disk disease.

Neck Pain - Causes Question: What caused your neck pain?
Neck Pain - Other Symptoms Question: Besides the obvious, what other symptoms have you experienced with your neck pain?