Patient Comments: Neck Pain - Effective Treatments

Please describe what treatments have been effective with your neck pain.

Comment from: Tranquility, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 28

I highly recommend treating neck and/or lower back pain with regular massage, acupuncture and/or chiropractic care. Pharmaceutical drugs only mask the pain and damage your organs and tissues so for a long term investment into maintaining a pain free lifestyle, consider alternative therapies.

Comment from: Babs52, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 23

For thirteen years I have worked on an assembly line constantly standing. I noticed my neck getting stiff until one morning I couldn't turn one way. I went to a doctor and found out through x-rays and MRI that my bone in my neck were out of place and that I had arthritis in my cervical spine. I went to physical therapy, it was getting better then I stopped and it started getting painful again. Now I have been exercising and it feels good again, so exercise does help, I also exercise to keep my weight down I am a life time member of weight watchers.

Comment from: Lady, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I am a 30-year-old female who has neck problems. I was involved in an accident in 2005 and have had this pain off and on ever since. One week, one side of my neck hurts, which leads to headaches and lack of sleep. In another week, my other side will ache, and I really believe it's not the muscles. It feels like the nerves in my neck. It starts in the evening, and by the morning, I can barely move my neck. I can feel the pain in my head. I've had an MRI and my doctor said that it was inflaming muscles, and he prescribed muscle relaxers, but they don't work.

Comment from: Amanda, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 28

My fiancé was in an ATV accident almost four years ago. Since then, he has had chronic neck pain and nothing seems to help. He has had imaging done, and every time, the doctor tells us there is nothing on the image that would be causing any pain. We met with an anesthesiologist in a pain clinic, and he suggested he be seen by a surgeon, but also administered a cortisone injection. My fiancé has had these before and, as usual, it only lasted about a day, two at the most. He is at his wits' end because he is 26 and trying to finish college but finding it harder and harder due to pain. He has been through a pain rehab program to help him cope with the pain medication-free, cortisone injections, physical therapy, etc. Nothing has helped.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 28

I am a 25-year-old female that has suffered neck, back and headache pain for seven years. I have been to chiropractors (four of them), I've done physical therapy three times, I tried acupuncture, electrotherapy, I've had X-rays and a MRI. I have been to doctors and specialists. Still, everyday I have pain. I wake up with pain, the pain increases in the afternoon (if it waits that long, I'm lucky) and worsens until I lie down at night. Then it just gets bothersome that I just want to numb it. Putting my head over the side of bed relieves the pain. I have a sleep number bed and a pillow that supports my neck. Yet the pain remains. My headaches usually come about from the neck pain. My shoulders also bother me but not as much as the neck pain does. I'm sick of it. It increases when it's hot out; I always get headaches if I'm too hot. I'm tired of being told that there is nothing wrong with me and that there is nothing doctors can do. I have pain everyday, and I'm too young for this. I hate taking medications, especially since they only help a quarter of the time.

Comment from: deducit, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 07

I have had severe neck pain since an auto accident 14 years ago. I have tried everything ... cortisone injections, chiropractors, surgery, and physical therapy ... nothing lasts very long. Now I am on muscle relaxants and pain pills, which also do not work very well. The MRI shows my neck is a mess ... I doubt if anything much more will help.

Comment from: RANJINI, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

A bath in hot water helps reduce my neck pain.

Neck Pain - Causes Question: What caused your neck pain?
Neck Pain - Other Symptoms Question: Besides the obvious, what other symptoms have you experienced with your neck pain?