Patient Comments: Neck Pain - Effective Treatments

Please describe what treatments have been effective with your neck pain.

Comment from: Amanda, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 28

My fiancé was in an ATV accident almost four years ago. Since then, he has had chronic neck pain and nothing seems to help. He has had imaging done, and every time, the doctor tells us there is nothing on the image that would be causing any pain. We met with an anesthesiologist in a pain clinic, and he suggested he be seen by a surgeon, but also administered a cortisone injection. My fiancé has had these before and, as usual, it only lasted about a day, two at the most. He is at his wits' end because he is 26 and trying to finish college but finding it harder and harder due to pain. He has been through a pain rehab program to help him cope with the pain medication-free, cortisone injections, physical therapy, etc. Nothing has helped.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 28

I am a 25-year-old female that has suffered neck, back and headache pain for seven years. I have been to chiropractors (four of them), I've done physical therapy three times, I tried acupuncture, electrotherapy, I've had X-rays and a MRI. I have been to doctors and specialists. Still, everyday I have pain. I wake up with pain, the pain increases in the afternoon (if it waits that long, I'm lucky) and worsens until I lie down at night. Then it just gets bothersome that I just want to numb it. Putting my head over the side of bed relieves the pain. I have a sleep number bed and a pillow that supports my neck. Yet the pain remains. My headaches usually come about from the neck pain. My shoulders also bother me but not as much as the neck pain does. I'm sick of it. It increases when it's hot out; I always get headaches if I'm too hot. I'm tired of being told that there is nothing wrong with me and that there is nothing doctors can do. I have pain everyday, and I'm too young for this. I hate taking medications, especially since they only help a quarter of the time.

Comment from: deducit, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 07

I have had severe neck pain since an auto accident 14 years ago. I have tried everything ... cortisone injections, chiropractors, surgery, and physical therapy ... nothing lasts very long. Now I am on muscle relaxants and pain pills, which also do not work very well. The MRI shows my neck is a mess ... I doubt if anything much more will help.

Comment from: RANJINI, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

A bath in hot water helps reduce my neck pain.

Comment from: Cristel, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 10

I am 20 years of age and I am experiencing horrible neck pain. It hurts everyday at night and I just can't fall asleep and I try to a pillow under it, but it feels worse. When I wake up in the morning it hurts and throughout the day it just gets worse. I have been experiencing this for the past 3 weeks now and it is constant. It just doesn't go away and I am tired of it.

Comment from: Nikki, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 05

I have suffered from neck pain on and off for a few years. This recent episode started at the end of November 2008. It is on my right side and affects my shoulder and gives me headaches. I also have floaters in my right eye, which my chiropractor says is caused by the neck pain. I am sick of taking painkillers, as I had an ovarian cyst for a year. I had that removed in September 2008. I have been to many doctors to get a CT scan performed to make sure I haven't got a brain tumor or something else, but they won't give me one.

Comment from: Marky1, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 22

I slightly injured my neck five years ago and it eventually turned into a minor arthritic problem in my neck. Motrin would usually make the pain go away. Now I am 58 and two weeks ago the pain intensified to unbearable headaches. I have tried Motrin, Tylenol and other pain killers which do nothing. I am not sure if it was the recent cold weather or a golf outing but the neck pain and headaches are unbearable, 24 hours per day.

Neck Pain - Causes Question: What caused your neck pain?
Neck Pain - Other Symptoms Question: Besides the obvious, what other symptoms have you experienced with your neck pain?