Patient Comments: Neck Pain - Effective Treatments

Please describe what treatments have been effective with your neck pain.

Comment from: vmc, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I had a herniated disc that caused me to lose my entire left side to numbness if I turned my head even a 1/4-inch. I had surgery in 2009 to replace the disc. Now I have severe pain that is getting worse daily in my neck and shoulders. I have to drive an hour each way to work daily and by 2:00 p.m. I can't stand the pain and have to go home. I live on muscle relaxers and pain pills but it does not seem to touch the pain anymore. I just had another MRI yesterday to see if I have herniated another disc or if this is what I can expect forever.

Comment from: bethy boo boo, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

I have had neck and shoulder pain for more than seven years now. I am 30 years old, and I repeatedly went to the doctor complaining of pain in my neck and shoulders, and they continuously told me that it was muscular, put me on muscle relaxers, and suggested physical therapy. Of course, this never worked. Just recently, I finally got a doctor that took X-rays and an MRI on my neck and shoulders to find that I have degenerative disk disorder (DDD). I have bulging disks in my neck. I am now on Vicodin for pain management, and the doctor I have now says that there are many methods for pain management. The only time it may be necessary to have surgery, is if there is a herniation and a nerve or nerves are being pinched that could cause long-term damage. At this point, I had an episode about two days ago and had more X-rays taken of my neck to rule out herniation. I had the X-rays taken yesterday. The doctor is supposed to get back to me about whether the X-rays were definitive or if I need another MRI. I hate feeling as if I'm falling apart when I'm only 30 years old. There are many things that could be underlying and contributing to my neck problems. I have psoriasis and have been using topical steroid creams on the areas where the skin is constantly inflamed. I am hopeful that I haven't contributed to my vertebrae issues by using the topical creams for my psoriasis. Oh boy, what a whirl!

Published: March 05

I am a 46-year-old female. When I was about 30, I was in an accident where I had whiplash. I feel this was the beginning of where I am today. I recently experienced excruciating neck and shoulder pain where I couldn't sleep or hardly move my neck without six daily aspirins; although it helped temporarily, it was tearing up my stomach. So I decided to take the natural road, which has helped me tremendously. This regimen included walking for 30 to 60 minutes three times a week, and then Jacuzzi therapy three times a week after exercise. Before bedtime, I apply topical analgesics and use a special grain-filled neck roll pillow. If pain persists then I take two or three Motrin pills depending on the level of pain. I am happy to say that after only one week, I have full range of neck movement along with little to no pain.

Comment from: Tranquility, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 28

I highly recommend treating neck and/or lower back pain with regular massage, acupuncture and/or chiropractic care. Pharmaceutical drugs only mask the pain and damage your organs and tissues so for a long term investment into maintaining a pain free lifestyle, consider alternative therapies.

Comment from: Babs52, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 23

For thirteen years I have worked on an assembly line constantly standing. I noticed my neck getting stiff until one morning I couldn't turn one way. I went to a doctor and found out through x-rays and MRI that my bone in my neck were out of place and that I had arthritis in my cervical spine. I went to physical therapy, it was getting better then I stopped and it started getting painful again. Now I have been exercising and it feels good again, so exercise does help, I also exercise to keep my weight down I am a life time member of weight watchers.

Comment from: Lady, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I am a 30-year-old female who has neck problems. I was involved in an accident in 2005 and have had this pain off and on ever since. One week, one side of my neck hurts, which leads to headaches and lack of sleep. In another week, my other side will ache, and I really believe it's not the muscles. It feels like the nerves in my neck. It starts in the evening, and by the morning, I can barely move my neck. I can feel the pain in my head. I've had an MRI and my doctor said that it was inflaming muscles, and he prescribed muscle relaxers, but they don't work.

Neck Pain - Causes Question: What caused your neck pain?
Neck Pain - Other Symptoms Question: Besides the obvious, what other symptoms have you experienced with your neck pain?