Patient Comments: Neck Pain - Effective Treatments

Please describe what treatments have been effective with your neck pain.

Comment from: Gen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I was in a major car accident in 1980. I saw many doctors, and all were in agreement that surgery was too risky as it could lead to partial paralysis. So I was prescribed pain pills and three months of weekly physical therapy. I drove home in tears each time from pain. I had to take an early medical retirement because five more years after the accident I could no longer work due to the chronic pain. I am 56 years old and feel like I am 86. I have also tried acupuncture, physical therapy, and injections (which were horrible). I was told I will probably live with this forever. I really don't think I can do this.

Comment from: jaci, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I had a car accident 7 years ago, as a result ended up with neck problems c1-c4. Over the years I have tried dorsal root injections, steroid injections, acupuncture, ganglion block injections. I've tried every painkiller available: oxycontin, pregabalin, morphine patches, codeine, everything you can think of and I get no relief. When the pain starts in my head it feels like electric shocks going off and my head swells and feels like it's going to explode with the heat. I physically can't move when it's so bad. I've taken overdoses on a few occasions, just trying to ease the pain, and nothing works. It's driving me to distraction.

Comment from: vmc, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I had a herniated disc that caused me to lose my entire left side to numbness if I turned my head even a 1/4-inch. I had surgery in 2009 to replace the disc. Now I have severe pain that is getting worse daily in my neck and shoulders. I have to drive an hour each way to work daily and by 2:00 p.m. I can't stand the pain and have to go home. I live on muscle relaxers and pain pills but it does not seem to touch the pain anymore. I just had another MRI yesterday to see if I have herniated another disc or if this is what I can expect forever.

Comment from: bethy boo boo, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

I have had neck and shoulder pain for more than seven years now. I am 30 years old, and I repeatedly went to the doctor complaining of pain in my neck and shoulders, and they continuously told me that it was muscular, put me on muscle relaxers, and suggested physical therapy. Of course, this never worked. Just recently, I finally got a doctor that took X-rays and an MRI on my neck and shoulders to find that I have degenerative disk disorder (DDD). I have bulging disks in my neck. I am now on Vicodin for pain management, and the doctor I have now says that there are many methods for pain management. The only time it may be necessary to have surgery, is if there is a herniation and a nerve or nerves are being pinched that could cause long-term damage. At this point, I had an episode about two days ago and had more X-rays taken of my neck to rule out herniation. I had the X-rays taken yesterday. The doctor is supposed to get back to me about whether the X-rays were definitive or if I need another MRI. I hate feeling as if I'm falling apart when I'm only 30 years old. There are many things that could be underlying and contributing to my neck problems. I have psoriasis and have been using topical steroid creams on the areas where the skin is constantly inflamed. I am hopeful that I haven't contributed to my vertebrae issues by using the topical creams for my psoriasis. Oh boy, what a whirl!

Published: March 05

I am a 46-year-old female. When I was about 30, I was in an accident where I had whiplash. I feel this was the beginning of where I am today. I recently experienced excruciating neck and shoulder pain where I couldn't sleep or hardly move my neck without six daily aspirins; although it helped temporarily, it was tearing up my stomach. So I decided to take the natural road, which has helped me tremendously. This regimen included walking for 30 to 60 minutes three times a week, and then Jacuzzi therapy three times a week after exercise. Before bedtime, I apply topical analgesics and use a special grain-filled neck roll pillow. If pain persists then I take two or three Motrin pills depending on the level of pain. I am happy to say that after only one week, I have full range of neck movement along with little to no pain.

Comment from: Tranquility, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 28

I highly recommend treating neck and/or lower back pain with regular massage, acupuncture and/or chiropractic care. Pharmaceutical drugs only mask the pain and damage your organs and tissues so for a long term investment into maintaining a pain free lifestyle, consider alternative therapies.

Neck Pain - Causes Question: What caused your neck pain?
Neck Pain - Other Symptoms Question: Besides the obvious, what other symptoms have you experienced with your neck pain?