Patient Comments: Neck Pain - Effective Treatments

Please describe what treatments have been effective with your neck pain.

Comment from: Karen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

I have had neck pain since I was 9 years old. I had lots of chiropractic treatment through the years, got temporary relief; physical therapy, temporary relief. I have right arm pain, right shoulder pain, right chest pain. It hurts all the time inside below right rib cage about level with belly button deep inside.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 01

This may sound odd, but you may want to consider Lyme disease. This often-misunderstood disease can cause so many symptoms almost anywhere in/on your body, since the bacteria (spirochetes) are cork-screw shaped and can "get" through any cell wall in your body. My husband has been ill with Lyme for at least 3 years (that we know of) and he has had many of your symptoms. Good luck finding a Lyme-literate doctor. Most doctors still think that a 2 or 3 week course of antibiotics "cure" Lyme, but if you've had it for awhile, it may take a year or more. The testing for Lyme is quite inaccurate, with over 60% false-negatives. I don't want to scare you, but do some research maybe not just the regular clinic sites, but dig deeper. Also, contrary to what experts say, Lyme can and has been found in every state and overseas.

Comment from: Sandy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

I had my second neck surgery last July. I had a herniated disc, and a bone spur pushing on my spinal cord, narrowing the nerve hole. The first one I had in 1993 was a piece of cake. I had no problems at all. I was 42 at the time. This time, I was 57. I have had pain ever since. My throat feels like a golf ball with spines on it. I can manage that with nerve medications, but now I have horrid headaches and inner ear pain. My regular doctor was unavailable, and I had to go to urgent care. The doctor said she thinks it is my neck. I have a plate with screws in it. I have to wait to go to my doctor and have another X-ray. This last surgery was quite a bit more involved than the first, and when they go through the front with the incision, they move all your things in there with a retractor than can cause nerve damage. At least I don't pass out when I move my head back or forward anymore.

Comment from: adrienne69, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

I had an injury in August while using an electric hedge-trimmer. It started as inflammation in my right forearm and then proceeded up my arm, onto my shoulder, up my neck to the base of my head. My PCP gave me muscle relaxers and naproxen. I also had an EMG and nerve conduction test done as my right forearm was constantly tingling. After trying physical therapy, which made it worse, and other conservative measures, I finally had an MRI that diagnosed a herniated cervical disc at my C6-C7 vertebrae. My neck and shoulder are in constant, excruciating pain which gets worse after working for a few days and when I turn in different positions. Some days I wake up and the entire right side of my body is numb. I bought a new memory foam mattress and have tried 4 different types of pillows. I am finally getting my 1st Epidural Steroid Injection next month. Hoping for relief! Until then, I get by on muscle relaxers, Valium and Percocet. Wondering if anyone has had success with injections. I'm having a few of them over a 6 week period.

Comment from: texas, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 22

A year ago, I sustained an injury resulting in a C6 bulging disk. I was treated with an injection which only helped to relieve the pain very little. In the meantime, I developed severe headaches along with increasing pain in my neck spreading throughout my shoulders and arms. I have had two MRI's performed, one for the disk in the beginning, and then later for the shoulder pain. I'm in therapy for a second time for the shoulder. The center of the pain is my neck which radiates down the middle of my back and throughout my shoulder. The doctor has diagnosed me with Fibromyalgia, but I'm somewhat skeptical. I have been on pain medication for a year now with little or no relief at all. It makes me wonder how it seems like just over night almost, you suddenly develop all these symptoms and no one can actually fix it.

Comment from: 45-54 Female Published: December 04

I also get really bad neck pains and bad headaches. The pain goes into my shoulders. The last time I had it, it lasted about three or four months. I went to a chiropractor, and that didn't help. However, he suggested I ice it down for at least 20 minutes, four times a day. When I repeatedly did this, it finally went away.

Neck Pain - Causes Question: What caused your neck pain?
Neck Pain - Other Symptoms Question: Besides the obvious, what other symptoms have you experienced with your neck pain?