Patient Comments: Neck Pain - Effective Treatments

Please describe what treatments have been effective with your neck pain.

Comment from: Gen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I was in a major car accident in 1980. I saw many doctors, and all were in agreement that surgery was too risky as it could lead to partial paralysis. So I was prescribed pain pills and three months of weekly physical therapy. I drove home in tears each time from pain. I had to take an early medical retirement because five more years after the accident I could no longer work due to the chronic pain. I am 56 years old and feel like I am 86. I have also tried acupuncture, physical therapy, and injections (which were horrible). I was told I will probably live with this forever. I really don't think I can do this.

Comment from: jaci, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I had a car accident 7 years ago, as a result ended up with neck problems c1-c4. Over the years I have tried dorsal root injections, steroid injections, acupuncture, ganglion block injections. I've tried every painkiller available: oxycontin, pregabalin, morphine patches, codeine, everything you can think of and I get no relief. When the pain starts in my head it feels like electric shocks going off and my head swells and feels like it's going to explode with the heat. I physically can't move when it's so bad. I've taken overdoses on a few occasions, just trying to ease the pain, and nothing works. It's driving me to distraction.

Comment from: adrienne69, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

I had an injury in August while using an electric hedge-trimmer. It started as inflammation in my right forearm and then proceeded up my arm, onto my shoulder, up my neck to the base of my head. My PCP gave me muscle relaxers and naproxen. I also had an EMG and nerve conduction test done as my right forearm was constantly tingling. After trying physical therapy, which made it worse, and other conservative measures, I finally had an MRI that diagnosed a herniated cervical disc at my C6-C7 vertebrae. My neck and shoulder are in constant, excruciating pain which gets worse after working for a few days and when I turn in different positions. Some days I wake up and the entire right side of my body is numb. I bought a new memory foam mattress and have tried 4 different types of pillows. I am finally getting my 1st Epidural Steroid Injection next month. Hoping for relief! Until then, I get by on muscle relaxers, Valium and Percocet. Wondering if anyone has had success with injections. I'm having a few of them over a 6 week period.

Comment from: texas, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 22

A year ago, I sustained an injury resulting in a C6 bulging disk. I was treated with an injection which only helped to relieve the pain very little. In the meantime, I developed severe headaches along with increasing pain in my neck spreading throughout my shoulders and arms. I have had two MRI's performed, one for the disk in the beginning, and then later for the shoulder pain. I'm in therapy for a second time for the shoulder. The center of the pain is my neck which radiates down the middle of my back and throughout my shoulder. The doctor has diagnosed me with Fibromyalgia, but I'm somewhat skeptical. I have been on pain medication for a year now with little or no relief at all. It makes me wonder how it seems like just over night almost, you suddenly develop all these symptoms and no one can actually fix it.

Comment from: 45-54 Female Published: December 04

I also get really bad neck pains and bad headaches. The pain goes into my shoulders. The last time I had it, it lasted about three or four months. I went to a chiropractor, and that didn't help. However, he suggested I ice it down for at least 20 minutes, four times a day. When I repeatedly did this, it finally went away.

Comment from: gerry campbell, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: August 05

I have suffered neck pain for a very long time (years). I am not certain of the start, but it has been over 20 years. I have scans done and been told it is literally a mess. I have almost daily headaches associated and have tried many topical medications e.g Zostrix and many others. I also take analgesics, Tylenol and combined reactants and pain which sometimes gives relief. I have been told by my neurologist that because of the condition surgery is out. I do not have many options. I am also 79 years old and a year past have had spinal stenosis operation which turned out very well which is at least a plus.

Neck Pain - Causes Question: What caused your neck pain?
Neck Pain - Other Symptoms Question: Besides the obvious, what other symptoms have you experienced with your neck pain?