Patient Comments: Nausea and Vomiting - Causes

What was the cause of your nausea and vomiting?

Comment from: eartheart, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I been having horrible nausea and vomiting since I started taking medication to prevent HIV infection (post exposure prophylaxis) and unwanted pregnancy. I am worried the medication will not go into effect if I keep vomiting like this. I really need advice on how to curb the vomiting.

Comment from: shanleesat, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

For about a year I have been waking up in the morning and immediately nauseous and then start vomiting. It only happens every four to six weeks and lasts for 3-4 days. I have gone to the E.R. for dehydration several times, and my regular m.d. is aware so he sent me to the stomach Dr. and they did find a hiatal hernia. I am currently taking medication for it daily, although still nauseated and vomiting every four to six weeks like clockwork. I am very tired of this and am desperate to find answers.

Comment from: Bonnie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I was rinsing my mouth with a large mouthful of hydrogen peroxide when I was startled by a loud noise and swallowed all of it. It tasted gross, but I didn't think anything of it and rinsed my mouth with water then went to the store to pick up some groceries. About half an hour later, my stomach began feeling tight and bloated; I felt as though I needed to pass gas. The feeling worsened and I made my way to the store bathroom to avoid passing gas in front of the other shoppers. I tried to relieve myself for several minutes without success. After convincing myself that I felt better, I returned to shopping and checked out. While I was driving home, I burped several times and felt a bit better. I was nearly home when I burped again and gagged up some fluid. My stomach was feeling incredibly tight at this point, but I thought I just really needed to burp a few more times. I burped again; in the middle of the burp it "turned solid" and I vomited. Luckily, I was stopped at a red light and managed to grab an empty grocery bag. I felt no better so I pulled over to the curb where I immediately vomited three more times. The bag was half full, but I still felt too nauseous to do anything about it. I opened the window to get some fresh air and reclined my seat and closed my eyes. Several minutes later, I vomited again without warning and barely managed to stick my head out the window in time. After vomiting a few more times, I felt fine and drove home. I spent the rest of the afternoon burping and gagging but did not vomit again. When I ate a bowl of soup for dinner I finished half of the bowl before feeling ill. I foolishly kept eating and barely made it to the kitchen sink before vomiting. The worst part was that I couldn't stop vomiting long enough to walk to the bathroom. I finally stopped and went to lie down with a trash can nearby. I spent the rest of the evening running to the bathroom to vomit and later to dry heave. When I called my doctor the next day, she said that hydrogen peroxide is a low grade emetic and likely upset my stomach. I dry heaved several times after eating breakfast, but was fine after that.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 22

I'm new to diabetes and monitoring to see what triggers high levels. Over the past year, I have vomited meals not knowing why. I blamed it on the sensitivity of old age. Now I'm thinking that my glucose level may have been too high. I was up all night vomiting. I checked my glucose level at about 8 am and found it to be 185. That makes me wonder if it was a lot higher when I was sick. No more pizza and soda for me. I've learned my lesson.

Comment from: terilynn, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 05

Well from this website I have found that my children have a low case of stomach infection. No fever or diarrhea, just the inability to keep anything down. Dry heaving, but that only lasts 6 hours or so. Just pumping them full of fluids even if they can't keep it all down. Thanks for the info.

Comment from: merlin1, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

My gallbladder was removed about two months ago and I have had nausea and vomiting ever since. The doctor told me it could last from two weeks to 10 months. I have Phenergan for nausea, but can only take it at night because it makes me very sleepy, so I can't eat anything during the day at work. I do drink vitamin water without too much nausea and I can drink low fat buttermilk. Pizza makes me vomit even if I take the medications. I realize I had to have the gallbladder removed but, no one told me anything about the nausea after the operation.

Nausea And Vomiting - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with nausea and vomiting.
Nausea and Vomiting - Medical Treatments Question: What were your treatments of nausea and vomiting?